Saint Kilda Football Club - est 1858

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Saint Kilda Football Club - est 1858

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_football_club

Formed in 1858, a year before the Melbourne Football Club.

Does our club have any tie, whatsoever, that can be linked back to this club and it's history?

If so, it could be argued we are the oldest Australian Rules club and seventh oldest sporting club of any type in the world.

We were officially formed in 1873, but I wonder if there is any connection - however small.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

From the Wiki reference it would seem that the only way to connect ourselves back earlier than an 1873 formation is to link to either of teh 2 clubs who merged to form us:-

the South Yarra Football Club and the St Kilda Cricket Club.

I feither of those Clubs formed earlier than 1873 then we could legitimately claim to have been in existence in some format prior to 1873.

GrumpyOne

Suggest the reference is to a Football (read soccer) club and not Aussie Rules.

And "Saint" Kilda?

The suburb has always been St Kilda, after persons of the Scottish Island of the same name settled there.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Suggest the reference is to a Football (read soccer) club and not Aussie Rules.
Not quite - it's an "unknown" sport according to Wikipedia.

But given the momentum that would have been growing for Australian Rules at the time, leading to the Scotch-MG game, it wouldn't surprise me if this is indeed the first Australian Rules club to represent St Kilda.

GrumpyOne

evertonfc wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Suggest the reference is to a Football (read soccer) club and not Aussie Rules.
Not quite - it's an "unknown" sport according to Wikipedia.

But given the momentum that would have been growing for Australian Rules at the time, leading to the Scotch-MG game, it wouldn't surprise me if this is indeed the first Australian Rules club to represent St Kilda.
I hope not.

150 years with only one premiership is too much to bear.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:I hope not.

150 years with only one premiership is too much to bear.
It still surprises me that we were ever invited to join the VFL given our record in the VFA. Not exactly strong.

Great decision in hindsight, despite the lack of premierships.

8-)

sainter35
Club Player

They wanted another team south of the yarra didn't they?

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Apparently it was because we had a good ground.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
marksnsparks
Club Player

If they can boost our number of flag, we'll take 'em

GrumpyOne

marksnsparks wrote:If they can boost our number of flag, we'll take 'em
Clever :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Thanks Bruce.

GrumpyOne

plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Thanks Bruce.
Bugger. My secret identity is out. :shock:

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

I spoke to Russell Holmesby about this and he says that there was a team in 1859 calling itself St Kilda, but it is unclear how long it lasted.
Our origins do go back to South Yarra which was a gun team in the 1860s and won the championship cup in the mid 1860s.
The interesting thing he told me is that the cup won by South Yarra has just recently been donated to the Melbourne Cricket Club. Apparently it had been unheard of since about 1869 and somehow ended up in England.
So we have a link to the oldest footy trophy in existence.

Cop that one Collingwood!

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I was in Hawthorn today helping a friend move a fridge!

The neighbour at the back fence had a huge flag pole with a Collingwood flag on it!

I said that if this was my house, I would most definitely be complaining as I would not want to be looking at a Collingwood flag everytime I go into the backyard.

Anyway my point is this, on the Collingwood flag it read est 1892, which going by Eddie's logic in relation to the clash jumper issue and referring to his comment about North being a Johnny come lately as they only entered the VFL in 1925 and it being incumbent upon them to design a jumper that does not clash with Collingwood,

THEREFORE as St kilda were established 19 years before Collingwood and furthermore taking into account that Collingwood's original colours were not black and white, I fully expect Eddie to fall into line, design a jumper that does not clash with St kilda and from now on, Collingwood must surely wear their away jumper,( you know the one that they wore for over ninety years that does not clash with St kilda, the same one that Eddie changed about 7 years ), even when Collingwood are the home team.

But seeing as though our board are a bunch of soft cocks who choose to wear away jumpers even when we are the home team, perhaps these johnny come latelies like Collingwood for example probably feel as if their history and tradition means more to them than ours does to us, and so they can do whatever they like.

It's about time St kilda stood up, showed some balls and told Eddie how far he can shove his hypocrisy fair and square up his arse, so that it is only marginally perpendicular with his cranium.

FAIR DINKUM

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Like the rant Barks, but weren't our original colours Red Yellow and black?

WHen did we change the yellow to white?

karnak
Club Player

we were always red white and black, except for a time when we were red, yellow and black so that we weren't representing the Swatzisticker (or however it is spelt).

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
sainter35
Club Player

karnak wrote:we were always red white and black, except for a time when we were red, yellow and black so that we weren't representing the Swatzisticker (or however it is spelt).
You're almost right. Swastika is the word you're looking for, but that was the symbol of the Nazi party which came into existence after WWI. We actually changed our colours during WWI.

Apart from that you're spot on. We changed to red, yellow and black because they were the colours of Belgium, rather than the red, white and black of Germany.

And now the colours of Belgium and Germany are both red, yellow and black