Herald Sun - Hayes has last laugh on mates

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Herald Sun - Hayes has last laugh on mates

Lenny Hayes recalls being knocked out on debut

MILESTONE games have been fraught with danger and disruption for St Kilda midfielder Lenny Hayes.

He was KO'd in his AFL debut, embarrassingly in front of his Sydney mates back in 1999.

But the joke was on his mates when they rocked into town last weekend for what turned out to be one short of his double century.

Hayes, forced by injury to sit out the opening round, chalks up his 200th against the Brisbane Lions at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

"I had a couple of them down last week, but I missed the first game with a hamstring injury," Hayes said.

"They were a bit flat on me because they had booked their tickets around Christmas time with the cheap flights.

"There's a busload of family coming down from Sydney. I've had to hit up a few of the boys for extra tickets."

Hayes, who grew up in Sydney and played junior football for Pennant Hills before being drafted, expects to have a clearer recollection of his 200th than his debut.

North Melbourne hardman Glenn Archer left him spreadeagled on the SCG after a heavy hit in the last quarter.

"I think I could've kicked five goals and they (Sydney mates) wouldn't have been talking about the goals, they would still be talking about Archer cleaning me up," Hayes said.

"Yes, it was definitely a memorable one."

Archer was so concerned that he sought out the young Saint after the game to check that he left him with nothing worse than a headache.

Hayes has also overcome a knee reconstruction three years ago to re-establish himself as a prolific midfielder.

"It's a pretty significant injury, and there's always doubt as to whether you'll ever be able to get back to the way you were playing," he said.

"Also being in the middle of my career - I was 26 at the time - you sort of feel that time may be running out.

"But guys have gone through it before at the club and I had full faith in the fitness staff and myself that I'd be able to get back."

His superb form this year has helped cover the retirement of Robert Harvey, but Hayes feels others deserve credit for filling the void.

"It would be hard to ever replace a guy like Robert Harvey," Hayes said.

"So we saw it as a collective midfield that we would all have to step up in that area.

"We've probably found another couple who can go through there, guys like (Andrew) McQualter, and (Jason) Gram is playing more like a midfielder.

"I think everyone has taken it upon themselves to lift.

"One thing that has been really good is our pressure.

"But I still think we can move the ball a lot better. And there are even periods in games where we've dropped off our intensity a little bit, like we saw last weekend.

"So there's definitely improvement left in us."