Anima Enclosure - Where are they now?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Anima Enclosure - Where are they now?

The famous (should that be infamous) Animal Enclosure from Moorabbin has almost reached legendary status in AFL/VFL history. There doesn't seem to be a journalist/media personality who hasn't raised it at some point or another.

What happened to them all once we left Moorabbin?

Russell Holmesby and Mark FIne are in the media, but where are the others?

Maybe we could try and reunite the Animal Enclosure one game up on the MW?

Also, what became of the guy I used to refer to as 'the Kookaburra'. Just before the first bounce he used to let out this god-almighty kookaburra call which always sent the crowd 'off'.
Is he still around and still doing it?

saint1974
Club Player

Spent my teen years standing in the animal enclosure yes I remember the person who made the kookaburra sound at the start of the game.
Copped the beer can that hit Gary Sidebottom on the way down too!
Now I sit in the social club area with my kids who are the same age as I was when I stood in the animal enclosure and enjoying my footy very much this year.
I have also become a member of the Saints Angels who are like minded women who support the Saints been lucky enough to learn of the inner sanctum of the club with some great talks from members of the coaching support team.
Strenght Through Loyalty
Braveness in standing in the Animal Enclosure oh the memories!!!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'm guessing that most of them would be Doctors, Lawyers, Politicians & Academics by now :wink: !!

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I'm guessing that most of them would be Doctors, Lawyers, Politicians & Academics by now :wink: !!
What a very frightening thought! :)

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Eastern wrote:I'm guessing that most of them would be Doctors, Lawyers, Politicians & Academics by now :wink: !!
What a very frightening thought! :)
Guilty as charged. :(

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

As my user name suggests, the formative years spent between the races was a life changing experience for me.

Now I work in sports education & sit on L2 A30 with my Saints fanatic wife.

I remember the Winmar & Krakoer kids running amok at the back of the grandstand & a woman in the hot dog shop using hot dog water to fill up the coffee urn. A nice pink tinge to your latte.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Spent many days in front of the stand as a kid/teenager with family.
They day Robbie Muir hit deniis Collins i was right on the fence,

What a great day that was

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

It would be really interesting to make up a list of those saintsational.com members who were regualr Animal Enclosure 'inmates'.

Personally I had seats in the grandstand above them - 2 rows behind Plugger's old man and sister (when she wasn't on duty!), so I was never a member of the group, but had many years of entertainments watching and listening to them.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

STILLWAITING wrote:Spent many days in front of the stand as a kid/teenager with family.

Too bad it wasn't Ian Collins

Another opportunity awaits!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
STILLWAITING wrote:Spent many days in front of the stand as a kid/teenager with family.

Too bad it wasn't Ian Collins
any carlton player would do

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

That is one thing that everyone thinks happened but never did. I have spoken to Robbie Muir about that and he quite clearly said he missed him but Collins put on the biggest act of all time. Looks great on TV but definately missed him.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Anima Enclosure - Where are they now?

Mr Magic wrote:

Also, what became of the guy I used to refer to as 'the Kookaburra'. Just before the first bounce he used to let out this god-almighty kookaburra call which always sent the crowd 'off'.
Is that the same guy as some referred to as "Roarer"?

If not, does anyone know what happened to him?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Anima Enclosure - Where are they now?

Mr Magic wrote:The famous (should that be infamous) Animal Enclosure from Moorabbin has almost reached legendary status in AFL/VFL history. There doesn't seem to be a journalist/media personality who hasn't raised it at some point or another.

What happened to them all once we left Moorabbin?

Russell Holmesby and Mark FIne are in the media, but where are the others?

Maybe we could try and reunite the Animal Enclosure one game up on the MW?

Didnt the guy do a very long Coooeee. He wasnt actually in the Animal enclosure but near the bins right at the end of the grand stand.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

That is one thing that everyone thinks happened but never did. I have spoken to Robbie Muir about that and he quite clearly said he missed him but Collins put on the biggest act of all time. Looks great on TV but definately missed him.
I never saw it clearly enough to know, I saw him go down like a sack of !!!!, thats the first I heard he never made contact, thats ruined my day!! :evil:

GrumpyOne

Mr Magic wrote:It would be really interesting to make up a list of those saintsational.com members who were regualr Animal Enclosure 'inmates'.

Personally I had seats in the grandstand above them - 2 rows behind Plugger's old man and sister (when she wasn't on duty!), so I was never a member of the group, but had many years of entertainments watching and listening to them.
Sat behind them too.......... lot of the player's family members around there........ had seats near Brett Bowey's mum, dad and sister.

When we moved to Waverley a lot of them gathered at the rear of the first level on the centre line, on the opposite side to the Members Stand. How those steel dividers remained intact on a losing day always surprised me. Some real quality barracking eminated from that area.

Joffa 5
Club Player

As a kid I'd go along to the games with my old man and if I can remember correctly, we stood beside one race, not in the enclosure. Under a big VB sign. There was a bloke who would yell CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARN then after a pause, the crowd would yell SAINTERS! Good times.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Joffa 5 wrote:As a kid I'd go along to the games with my old man and if I can remember correctly, we stood beside one race, not in the enclosure. Under a big VB sign. There was a bloke who would yell CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARN then after a pause, the crowd would yell SAINTERS! Good times.
That's the one I was refering to.

yipper
SS Life Member

I stood in the enclosure as a young teenager and I learnt all about the passion of being a sainter. But as I grew into the mature gentleman that I am now 8-) - i gravitated to the more sophisticated lot standing directly behind the players interchange box!!!

Didn't the umpiring community just love the animal enclosure?? :lol:

Reckon Danny Hughes just adored that part of the Moorabbin ground to after his coach dragged him when he was at the South Rd end meaning he had to run off directly in front of the enclosure!! Funniest moment in footy that was for me - his opponent Plugger had just kicked his 9th - before halftime!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:

Reckon Danny Hughes just adored that part of the Moorabbin ground to after his coach dragged him when he was at the South Rd end meaning he had to run off directly in front of the enclosure!! Funniest moment in footy that was for me - his opponent Plugger had just kicked his 9th - before halftime!!
It was the single best 'bake' I have ever heard a player get from a crowd.

It started as the runner led him past the Social Club and just kept getting louder until he got the Animal Enclosure.

Simply Amazing!!
:D

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
Joffa 5 wrote:As a kid I'd go along to the games with my old man and if I can remember correctly, we stood beside one race, not in the enclosure. Under a big VB sign. There was a bloke who would yell CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARN then after a pause, the crowd would yell SAINTERS! Good times.
I think the guy I'm referring to was different - definitely a kookaburra like noise.

I do remember early days at TD he was doing it.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Have to agree with you again plugger66.

If you look at the footage closely, you will see that Collins is on the way down before the fist gets anywhere near him. Also if Robbie had connected Collins would never have got up.

Denis Collins is the only player I've seen who was never caught by someone chasing him, but never caught anyone he was chasing. Soft as margarine.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
yipper
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
Superboot wrote:
I think the guy I'm referring to was different - definitely a kookaburra like noise.

I do remember early days at TD he was doing it.
That bloke used to stand on top of a green wheelie bin on the members side wing at Moorabbin. He then went to Waverley and was down in the outer (members side) I think. He has been to the dome - but I haven't heard him much if at all lately. Used to be a really long Gooooo Saaiinnntterrrrsssss

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Mr Magic wrote:
yipper wrote:

It was the single best 'bake' I have ever heard a player get from a crowd.

It started as the runner led him past the Social Club and just kept getting louder until he got the Animal Enclosure.

Simply Amazing!!
:D

I was there!! awesome. First H & A game ever against the Crows and we won 162 to 31. The greatest win we had ever had at that time. Best bake ever for a player. Not an enclosure regular. We used to stand next to the opposition cheersquad a lot and pick fights (lot more mature now - not). but in those days we were teenagers and full strength beer in cans was available so we were well lubricated by the time the seniors came out. I remember the Dogs and Pies were the easiest to wind up. We even hold old ladies from the Doggies wanting to fight us :shock: :shock: I remember being there when the gates opened for a Pies match and the Pies cheersquad all hopped out of the back of a removals van :shock: the driver pulled up and got out of the cabin, walked around and opened up the roller door at the back of the van and the whole pies squad hopped out. I thought he was making a delivery - didn't realise it was a load of shyte. :lol:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
The Sainter
Club Player

Standing in the packed animal enclosure one Saturday. there was a big Saint supporter there who was foul mouthing players all day. a much smaller Saint supporter who was standing with his wife in front of him asked would he mind stopping his language as it was offending his wife.
He was told where to get by this idiot. The smaller man then threw the quickest punch i have ever seen hitting the foul talking man flush on the chin knocking him completely out. Everyone just moved away leaving him lying on the ground. Ah yes some memories just stay forever :) :) :)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

there were some funny guys down there and some of the insults dished out to opposition players and the umpires still bring a smile to the face.

not sure if they can be repeated on here in this politically correct age.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 20 May 2009 7:32pm, edited 2 times in total.