Teams Average - by draft selections

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Teams Average - by draft selections

OK.

This is spurred on by the farkwit Essendon supporters at the game on Sunday, calling us a bunch of over-rated number one draft picks. They were quite vocal and deliberate in targeting several St Kilda players - to which I responded, I'd do the same to them if I knew who their team of nobodies were!

I've collated the draft history of our 22 from Sunday. For traded players, I've used the number that WE used to obtain said player, what WE gave up. In some cases - for example, Gardiner and Ray - this works in our favour. In others - eg, Schnieder and McQualter - it doesn't.

For rookie drafted players I've simply added 70 draft picks to their figure. That is, 13 in the rookie draft equals 83 overall. The addition of 70 is arbitrary but if used as a constant when comparing with other teams, sound.

I realise there are a few methods you could use go about this, but this is my preliminary attempt.

RESULTS:

Blake – 24

Dawson – 83

Ball – 2

Goddard – 1

Roo – 1

Kosi – 2

Joey – 37

Hayes - 11

S Fisher – 55

Gilbert – 33

Gardiner – 43

King – 94

Jones – 79

McQualter – 17

Baker – 27

Milne – 93

Schnieder – 26

Geary – 128

Gwilt – 63

Dal – 13

Ray – 31

Gram - 23

Now, the math.

The average draft pick AGE of our team on Sunday - according to the above figures, divided by 22 - was 40.27.

:shock:

I would suggest a combination of very smart recruiting and a few early draft picks is in combination here, resulting in a team that is travelling pretty bloody nicely.

Interesting to see the results of similar survey from other teams - especially ESSENDON, Carlton and Hawthorn.

:idea: :evil: :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Excellent work. Just one query.

Shouldn't McQualter be 109?

Originally 17th in the national draft but delisted and drafted at 39 in the rookie draft.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Beekay
SS Life Member

Really good post mate.

McQualter is right, as he did cost us that pick to begin with.. if anything he should be two picks.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Yeah Mini is an odd one - drafted twice by the one team. I think the best way to to use the figure which cost us THE MOST, ie pick 17.

I'm going to post this on BF and see what supporters of other teams come up with.

I will post as soon as I'm off my yellow card for calling someone a retard.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Quixote wrote:Yeah Mini is an odd one - drafted twice by the one team. I think the best way to to use the figure which cost us THE MOST, ie pick 17.

I'm going to post this on BF and see what supporters of other teams come up with.

I will post as soon as I'm off my yellow card for calling someone a retard.
Mini was available to be drafted by anyone of 15 teams 100+ picks but they all chose to ignore him. I think 109 is fair in this context.

I started to look at Essendon but it was all too hard.
Lloyd - a compensation pick
Neagle - a father and son pick
McPhee - a trade
Someone else was pre-season draft

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:Really good post mate.

McQualter is right, as he did cost us that pick to begin with.. if anything he should be two picks.
when u are delisted an relisted you have to go with the final result. so for mini i reckon its 109.
basically he was a wasted 17 (we got nothing) cos anyone else could have redrafted him under 109. so 109 is his number.

apart from that great post. great methodolygy.