This Is Where Ross Earns His Money

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Badlands
Club Player

With due respect to the conditioning staff, who have done a superb job, is it really reasonable to expect that we are going to continue the dream run with injury we have enjoyed to date for the rest of the year?

I don't want to see us keep the same team together for 20 weeks, only to see three players go down the week before the finals and then we are forced to bring in 3 guys at finals time who have had no exposure to top-flight footy all year.

I don't believe in change for change's sake but I also don't believe that if we have fit players in the VFL who, at their best, are more valuable than the guys holding down their spots, that the fact we are winning should keep them from assuming their rightful position in the side.

Raph Clarke late last year was playing some breathtaking footy. Max is Max. Maguire prob at least deserves his chance to show he's still got what it takes, once upon a time he was somewhat of a star.

"But he's doing a job" is not a good enough reason to hold back a player who could be doing a better job, even though to be fair it would be tough on the player who is asked to go back to the seconds. I just think we should be trying to improve all the time, and if there are players available who could make us a better team, why not give them a crack at it?

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
quidnunc
Club Player

After getting down to Melbourne and watching Sandy two weeks ago and following up with another significant display last week by Goose - I think the first unforced change we may see will be Goose for Gwilt - now it appears both can play back and forward. Goose certainly appears fit and ready to me.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Simon Templar wrote:But for my 20 cents worth, if it's not broken then don't fix it. Leave the team alone.

As to the idea that if our conditioning staff decide the odd rotation would keep some players fresh.....I really dont think that would be necessary. I think the players would crawl over broken glass to stay in the team. I think they're fresh enough each week. Don't see Geelong resting players.
chapman missed this week because of "back soreness" - this suggests that he could have played but they chose to go safety first. also, mark thompson this week: "Gary (Ablett) will play (on Friday night), I was told he put his hand up to play today, but we had a rigid rehab program and we stuck to it. So he'll be fine to play."

they may not rest players but i reckon they give them a week off every now and then when they've got a bit of soreness, to make sure they stay fit, and to create a few more opportunities in the senior side.

the saints have given full effort for eight weeks and some of them might be getting a bit sore. a week off now is much better than chronic soreness in round 20.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:I cannot believe I am suggesting this - but for a tall side Bakes out for Max.
i can't see that happening. if anything on sunday we were run off our feet - making the side taller sure isn't going to help that.

yes, bakes has been quiet, and may well benefit from a week or two at sandy, but i'd only replace him with a runner. l fisher or begley could play back pocket, or even r clarke, eddy or armo at a pinch - though i wouldn't feel real comfortable with them spoiling. maybe miles could even play in that spot? no idea about him really.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Re: This Is Where Ross Earns His Money

bergholt wrote:
Gwilt
Geary
McQualter
Baker
Blake
Schneider
Gram
Another thread that has cropped up wanting blokes who are playing their role in an unbeaten side to be dropped!

Gwilt has been vital in applying fwd line pressure & while he still goes to ground to often, he is developing into a nice foil for Roo & Kosi.

Geary is growing into a midfield/defensive stopper who can find his own ball.

McQualter has been outstanding as an in & under player, fantastic pressure all over the ground & has chipped in with a goal or two each week. I was one of the nay sayers... I was wrong. He is a very smart footballer.

Baker is awesome. Still amazed that supporters consider him dispensible. Bakes is a significant reason why our team has improved so much this season. One of the first picked!

Blake has been ever reliable & has rarely made a mistake. He's turned into a good honest no frills defender.

Schneider is having his best season for the Saints yet. He's getting important touches in the midfield & delivers to the big forwards beautifully. A crucial facet of our fwd line.

Gram. Opposition teams would love to see Gram running around at Sandy. He isn't the defensive stopper he possibly could be but what he gives us is pace, line breaking ability & on occasion, a goal from outside 50.

Ball. Open your eyes & watch the hard work Bally is doing every week. He's bottom of the pack, working his backside off, getting it out to the blokes who can do the pretty stuff. Indispensible.

Dawson. At 6'5 & 95 kg & very athletic, Harpo is fast becoming our best option for the biggest key forwards. I believe Max & he can fit into the same team, with Maxy taking the 2nd or 3rd tall. That would further release Gilbo, Chips, BJ & Grammy up the ground.

While I understand your query about players not getting flat, surely the fact that these blokes are on the fringe & have senior players pushing them for their positions is enough to keep their motivation high?

Personally I hope that Ross doesn't have the luxury of bringing Max, Raph, Goose, Armo, Eddy, etc straght back in because that means one of two things;

1) Injuries
2) Poor form

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: This Is Where Ross Earns His Money

Animal Enclosure wrote:Another thread that has cropped up wanting blokes who are playing their role in an unbeaten side to be dropped!
can you foresee a situation in which you could possibly be slightly critical/realistic about a st kilda player?

seriously. unless everyone is equally good - which is not true - there must be six or seven players on our list who are last picked and closest to losing their spot. please tell me who you think they are.

starsign
Club Player

To all and sundry
Anything can happen from one week to the next in this game !
There has been some good points made in this discussion and equally some foolhardy? near-sighted ones
But the facts at the moment are (and this can change overnight )
We are having a dream run re injuries How many players have we used in 8 games? 25? ....unreal!
the law of averages says it can't continue on the injury side alone
The side will change !
But what we have at present is a very sound platform to progress with which includes a multitude of promising options
Be thankful, patient, be thoughtful, keep an open mind ,,,,there's some great options being thrown around
But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater by harpooning those that have worked their buts off to get us in this position and more importantly go with the flow , put your trust in RL and his crew of assistants and the selectors ( they like the players have not put a foot wrong ) and ....
enjoy the bloody ride ride for once !!

python
Club Player

throw dawson up forward, he proved against the eagles what a good kick for goal he is! :lol: