afl considers moving st kilda v cats blockbuster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

afl considers moving st kilda v cats blockbuster

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

EXCLUSIVE THE AFL is considering moving the Round 14 game between St Kilda and Geelong, from Etihad Stadium to the MCG. In what would be an unprecedented scheduling change, the AFL is understood to be well advanced in officially ordering the venue switch.

As it stands, the Saints, unbeaten after seven rounds and with 208.2 per cent, are to host the Cats (also 7-0, 154.2 per cent) at its home ground on Sunday, July 5, beginning at 2.10pm.

Under the plan being considered, the match would be transferred across town on the same day and with the same starting time.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Cant believe the AFL knew the meaning of the term "common sense" :shock:

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

deleted
Last edited by saintsrus on Wed 13 May 2009 7:11am, edited 1 time in total.

Before Im 85
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

saintsrus wrote:Our home game too, we need the cash
Did you see this comment in that article, obviously a carlton supporter
Santino Brighton wrote:
Blockbuster & St.Kilda in the same sentence ......... I DON'T THINK SO !!!!!!! Since when has the Linton St rabble been given blockbuster status. They MUST earn it first & not just for 1 yr. Sure they are playing well for the time being & will be producing another "Winning Streak" DVD boxed set soon LOL. This rabble of a club is the most unsuccessful in the history of the VFL/AFL. Once a rabble always a rabble !!!!!!!

Posted by: Santino of Brighton 12:13am today

Before Im 85
SaintDebi
Club Player

Sorry, I know most of you want this change, but I really hope it doesn't happen. As a Geelong hater, I have been hanging out to watch this game from the vantage point of my front row seat at the dome.
My head says it might be a good move, but my heart says NO, NO, NO!
Geelong is the last team we should consider giving up any sort of advantage to.
If you are worried about getting into the ground, buy your ticket early. The more of us the better. Part of their advantage here in Geelong is their parochial home ground feel. They don't care how many opposition fans miss out.
I'd much rather stay at the dome, fill it with saints fans and make it our fortress. And beat the c**p out of them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:Sorry, I know most of you want this change, but I really hope it doesn't happen. As a Geelong hater, I have been hanging out to watch this game from the vantage point of my front row seat at the dome.
If you are worried about getting into the ground, buy your ticket early. The more of us the better. Part of their advantage here in Geelong is their parochial home ground feel. They don't care how many opposition fans miss out.
I'd much rather stay at the dome, fill it with saints fans and make it our fortress. And beat the c**p out of them.
Firstly we need the money otherwise we wouldnt be playing at the Gold Coast this year and secondly we may as well play them where we will need to play them on the last day in September and by that game hopefully we are locked into a top 2 position. Cannot see one negative at all for the club if the move comes off.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintDebi wrote:Sorry, I know most of you want this change, but I really hope it doesn't happen. As a Geelong hater, I have been hanging out to watch this game from the vantage point of my front row seat at the dome.
Firstly we need the money otherwise we wouldnt be playing at the Gold Coast this year and secondly we may as well play them where we will need to play them on the last day in September and by that game hopefully we are locked into a top 2 position. Cannot see one negative at all for the club if the move comes off.
I hope we Reserved Seat Holders will be getting replacement reserved seats of equivalent position? Afterall one of the main reasons for buying reserved seats in teh first place is the ability to turn up late to the game knowing you don't have to go searching for a seat.

If the arrangements are similar to those for the 'replacmeent game' I for one will not be happy.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Totally with you here Debi..my head says take the extra cash but my heart wants my nice MW reserved seat!

Even financially its not a given that we will make a fortune with the switch. If they make the call to move it, it will be made some weeks early. What happens if we (or Geelong 8-) ) hit a form slump? Or its absolutely bucketing down on the day? Suddenly a 80,000 crowd becomes a 55-60,000 crowd with the added bad karma of having displaced and disadvantaged thousands of reserved seat holders (who'll only get an area to sit in, not an actual seat)

My solution? Call it an all-ticket game NOW (while both teams are flying) and put tickets on sale to St Kilda Members and 17 game Geelong members only. Make sure that only Saints members can reserve seats on level 1 among the Yearly reserved seats. 2 weeks later, whatever tickets are left the general public can buy.

Frankly, non-members and away team suporters should not expect the automatic right to enter a game like this. If more games were sold like this, it would give a huge incentive to buy a membership IMHO

Geelong make it bloody near impossible for visiting teams to get tickets for Skilled games..gets give em a bit of their own medicine back!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
gottaluvit
Club Player

I think it is a fantastic move. We have to beat them at the MCG anyway, so let's have a dress rehearsal and see where we are at. We only play one game there pre-finals, against Melb, so the practice for the players in a sell-out MCG match would be a big plus. And we need the money. I'm sure we seat holders will be compensated.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:
saintsrus wrote:Our home game too, we need the cash
Did you see this comment in that article, obviously a carlton supporter
Santino Brighton wrote:
Blockbuster & St.Kilda in the same sentence ......... I DON'T THINK SO !!!!!!! Since when has the Linton St rabble been given blockbuster status. They MUST earn it first & not just for 1 yr. Sure they are playing well for the time being & will be producing another "Winning Streak" DVD boxed set soon LOL. This rabble of a club is the most unsuccessful in the history of the VFL/AFL. Once a rabble always a rabble !!!!!!!

Posted by: Santino of Brighton 12:13am today
I am thinking perhaps Collingwood or Carlton?

sainter35
Club Player

I'm a reserved seat member and I think it would be fantastic if the game got moved.

Isn't this what we want?

To have our footy club playing games of footy on the big stage in front of massive crowds?

From a financial perspective it makes a hell of a lot of sense. It also sends a message to Etihad Stadium that we've been a very loyal tenant and it's about time we get properly looked after.

From a football perspective I would thought the opportunity to play another game at the MCG in a finals type atmosphere is exactly what we need.

I don't think we can expect a specific reserved seat but provided we receive a large enough area and we're well catered for I don't have a problem.

We're hardly giving Geelong any sort of advantage because they play every ground well.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
I hope we Reserved Seat Holders will be getting replacement reserved seats of equivalent position? Afterall one of the main reasons for buying reserved seats in teh first place is the ability to turn up late to the game knowing you don't have to go searching for a seat
There is not a "Snowflake's chance in Hell" that reserved seat holders will get equivelent seats at the G.

The "BEST" seats at the G are the MCC & AFL Members and they won't be giving us seats in there.

The Dome is a superior venue for watching footy from almost anywhere

If the game is moved, reserved seat holders will be given a "BLOCK AREA SEAT" on a 1st in-1st served basis somewhere near the 50m arc. Nowhere near the standard of our seats on the wing L1,2 & 3 at the Dome !!

Saints43
Club Player

gottaluvit wrote:I think it is a fantastic move. We have to beat them at the MCG anyway, so let's have a dress rehearsal and see where we are at. We only play one game there pre-finals, against Melb, so the practice for the players in a sell-out MCG match would be a big plus. And we need the money. I'm sure we seat holders will be compensated.
I hope so too re: seats but I agree that another opportunity to play on the 'G is the most important thing. And against the best. I would love to see a rematch of last years final back where it happened.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
I hope we Reserved Seat Holders will be getting replacement reserved seats of equivalent position? Afterall one of the main reasons for buying reserved seats in teh first place is the ability to turn up late to the game knowing you don't have to go searching for a seat
There is not a "Snowflake's chance in Hell" that reserved seat holders will get equivelent seats at the G.

The "BEST" seats at the G are the MCC & AFL Members and they won't be giving us seats in there.

The Dome is a superior venue for watching footy from almost anywhere

If the game is moved, reserved seat holders will be given a "BLOCK AREA SEAT" on a 1st in-1st served basis somewhere near the 50m arc. Nowhere near the standard of our seats on the wing L1,2 & 3 at the Dome !!
In that case, whose interests are the AFL contemplating moving the game for?

It's not the Saints reserved seat holders.
It's not the Saints members
It's not the Saints/Cats AFL members who can already gain access to TD
It's not the Saints/Cats MCC members who can already gain access to TD

The only obvious people being advantaged by this move are:-
Saints supporters who might not get into TD - but they can if they buy a ticket
Cats supporters who might not be able to buy a ticket to TD.
General fans who might not be able to buy a ticket ot TD.

If that is true, then why aren't all Cats home games against Vic clubs moved from Skilled Stadium under the same scenario?

It is one thing if the Club (Saints) request the move, but for the AFl to impose it on our Club is another.

If they are all of a sudden so concerned about the general public then they have options.

They could schedule us for some blockbuster games
Anzac Day
Good Friday/Easter Monday
Queen's Birthday.

The whole concept of moving the game from TD to the MCG (if not requested by the Saints), IMHO, diminishes the value of buying Saints membership and/or Reserved Seats and makes it a more difficult case for the Club to market them.

kaos theory
Club Player

Reserve seat holders will likely get a reserve seat SECTION, not actual seats. There will be a good reserve sections, you will have no problem getting in and getting a good seat in your section.

People need to look at the big picture here. If both teams are still on top when this game comes then we would be mad not to move it. The main reasons are:

- Huge cash injection for the club, because there will be 80,000+ crowd

- Opportunity for players to face the cats under the same condidtions we will have to play them in the finals, big crowd at MCG...

- We only have ONE scheduled game at the G this yr, therefore getting more games there is important

sainter35
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:Reserve seat holders will likely get a reserve seat SECTION, not actual seats. There will be a good reserve sections, you will have no problem getting in and getting a good seat in your section.

People need to look at the big picture here. If both teams are still on top when this game comes then we would be mad not to move it. The main reasons are:

- Opportunity for players to face the cats under the same condidtions we will have to play them in the finals, big crowd at MCG...

- We only have ONE scheduled game at the G this yr, therefore getting more games there is important
Spot on

The positives of a potential move far outweighs the negatives in my opinion.

It will be interesting to hear from our other supporters during the day to hear their thoughts.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:Reserve seat holders will likely get a reserve seat SECTION, not actual seats. There will be a good reserve sections, you will have no problem getting in and getting a good seat in your section.

I grant you all of your reasons but why not move the following games:-

Collingwwod vs St Kilda
St Kilda vs Essendon
Carlton vs St Kilda
Geelong vs any Victorian Club

All would draw greater crowds than at TD or Skilled Stadium and would afford the teams more experience in playing at the MCG under bigger crowd conditions.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding selfish, but all the reserved seat holders have paid their money upfront (or committed to payment plans) and they are the ones being disadvantaged by this 'altruistic' move by the AFL.

I can turn up 5 minutes before the game at TD and know our 12 seats on L2 in Section 38 are there waiting for us.

As stated in an earlier post, we will surely be given replacement seats, but they will not be as good as what we've got AND THEY WON'T BE RESERVED. So if we want to get good seats in the inferior section we are being transferred to, we will have to arrive at the game much, much earlier.

Now obviously tis is a 1 off situation, but it is the prnciple of the decision that is annoying.

Why aren't all Geelong home games vs Vic teams at Skilled transferred, for the benefit of the paying public?

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

I hope this happens. We should benefit from it financially as well as gaining some valuable experience at the MCG.

I reckon the AFL will be pretty keen to change it as a way of telling Etihad Stadium that we deserve better.

kaos theory
Club Player

I'm sorry if I'm sounding selfish,
You are. I also have a reseve seat, but I'd rather help the club and team prepare for winning a flag.

Also, of those games you are suggestion could be moved, only one is our home game (bombers), so we would get nothing for the others. And the bombers are not going to be playing off in the gf.

We are talking about moving 1 vs. 2 to the G, who will potentially be way ahead of the rest of the competition. That IS the type of game we should be playing at the G.

Its great for our profile, our preparation and our financial position.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

While in a general sense I'm usually against any move that sacrafices home field advantage, if we can suddenly be benefiting from the revenue of a 70k plus crowd, we'd have to be on crack to object.

Several other things in favour:
1) The Cats also play a large number of games at the dome... our "home field" advantage is comparable to that we experience against the 'dogs, or that we're anticipating v the bombers.
2) With 7 home and away wins in the bank already, a top 4, and quite possibly top 2 spot is ours to lose... we learn and earn far more from playing at the 'G, the Melbourne home of finals, than we possibly can from Telstra Dome. The St Kilda - Geelong matchup isn't of interest at this stage because of the home & away points...
3) These days, one of the most important things a Melbourne club can achieve is linking it's name with the term "Blockbuster". Make the club one of the tickets the patrons want to buy.

If the price of this is being moved from my reserved seat to a block, then while I'm not thrilled at the disrespect of the G in making no effort at equivalence (though never surprised at the MCG not caring for it's patrons)... but it's a price worth paying for the club.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saint vince
Club Player

I think it will be simply awesome to play infront of a massive crowd at the G against the best side of the last three years. Who cares where we are sitting when we smash them cats infront of 80,000 and the 100,000 of GF day.

Go you good things

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The article states;

St Kilda is guaranteed a far greater financial return if the game was to be played at the MCG

Well, what are the figures? If we don't know the numbers, the arguement cannot be had. A certian mankini/kimono wearing number cruncher will be disappointed !!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Also - a huge problem wll be all those people who have purchased Medallion club memberships - Etihad will not want to be selling tickets that will not grant guaranteed seats if too many games are switched!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
sainter35
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:Also - a huge problem wll be all those people who have purchased Medallion club memberships - Etihad will not want to be selling tickets that will not grant guaranteed seats if too many games are switched!
Medallion club members have always had access to the AFL members at the MCG.

older saint
SS Life Member

I hope the game gets moved. Obviously a lot of reserved seat memebr's here not happy but look past your self and for the benefit of the club and team it is a must.

1. Gets us another game at the G ( only Round 22 at the moment)
2. 80 000 + crowd , finals atmosphere as opposed to 53,000 at Etihad
3. Club makes money from the game at the G, who knows with Etihad
4. Publicity and media coverage for sponsors a plus. (Image both teams 13-0)
5. Increases the interest in the club as I have spoken to heaps of non StK/ Geel supporters who have said they will go to the game.

As the song say (i like to) "Move It Move It"