Tripping

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bendigo bob
Club Player

Tripping

Did anyone else see that filthy irish scum clarke trip BJ in the 2nd quarter. Was on the moorabbin wing side as BJ was streaming towards the 50m line and clarke just stuck his leg out and blatantly tripped him and the umpire called play on. yet when lenny tangled feet with a collingwood player the umpire couldnt blow his whistle quickly enough. also noticed several collingwood players were using the trip without getting caught. Didnt Kosi get reported for a similar thing a few years ago.

and while i am on it how many times can prestigiacamo hold Roos arm and not get caught. the only reason Roo was taking one handed marks was because his other arm was being held.

Watched the replay when I got home last night and still couldnt believe how the umpires missed so many frees for tripping and holding

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
Marcus1232
Club Player

Yeah it was easily the most blatant trip i have seen in a while he should get cited for it if he doesnt there is something wrong with the system

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I said this in another thread but I believe it is worth reciting... Clarke desveres to go for that blatent trip... however he shouldn't because he's in my DT and Bock and Hodge are already likely outs...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bendigo bob
Club Player

sorry armoooo i looked but couldnt find a thread on this but it was right in front of me and no one could believe it wasnt even a free - pies supporters included

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

I saw it and I was sitting behind the Lockett goal!

Looked at first glance like going in with studs showing, which would be a yellow card in soccer.

Having said that, I wouldn't want Collingwood to have any more suspensions. We need them to knock off the sorts of teams that are likely to be challenging for a top 4 spot.
Last edited by Superboot on Tue 12 May 2009 11:15am, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tripping

bendigo bob wrote:Did anyone else see that filthy irish scum clarke trip BJ in the 2nd quarter. Was on the moorabbin wing side as BJ was streaming towards the 50m line and clarke just stuck his leg out and blatantly tripped him and the umpire called play on. yet when lenny tangled feet with a collingwood player the umpire couldnt blow his whistle quickly enough. also noticed several collingwood players were using the trip without getting caught. Didnt Kosi get reported for a similar thing a few years ago.

and while i am on it how many times can prestigiacamo hold Roos arm and not get caught. the only reason Roo was taking one handed marks was because his other arm was being held.

Watched the replay when I got home last night and still couldnt believe how the umpires missed so many frees for tripping and holding

and the couple of belts roo copped to the head as well.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintluke
Club Player

On ANZAC Day, the Pies tripped their Bombers opponents several times both in and behind play. It may be an attempt to hinder a teams run at the contest.

I noticed it last night as well, the trip on BJ was so blatant, and I was shocked that after the Lenny tangle of legs it wasn't awarded a free kick.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

NO CHARGES FROM MONDAY NIGHT
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 at 2:44 pmBY MARK OPOLION

NO CHARGES have been laid from last night’s Collingwood-St Kilda clash.

Contact between Collingwood’s Marty Clarke and St Kilda’s Brendon Goddard was assessed, the AFL said in a statement today.

But according to the Match Review Panel, Clarke did not sweep or kick out his leg in a tripping motion.

Minor contact was made by the players just above the knee, with Clarke extending his left arm in an attempt to apply a tackle.

No further action was required.

http://footyheads.com.au/

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Thought I saw a few trips both ways that weren't called... thought it ironic that the Hayes one was picked up because it seemed the least intentional of them.

IMO, it's something that's been on the rise in general this year with the number of pack type situations and focus on not letting anyone escape.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
St.Damo's Fire
Club Player

When I first saw it I thought thats gotta be a report, but after watching it again today, I'm ok with no further action to be taken....it wasn't as bad as I first thought.

I had more concerns about Maxwell's shove on Roo near the point post after the ball was dead and put him into the signage...totally uncalled for.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Tripping

stinger wrote:
bendigo bob wrote:Did anyone else see that filthy irish scum clarke trip BJ in the 2nd quarter. Was on the moorabbin wing side as BJ was streaming towards the 50m line and clarke just stuck his leg out and blatantly tripped him and the umpire called play on. yet when lenny tangled feet with a collingwood player the umpire couldnt blow his whistle quickly enough. also noticed several collingwood players were using the trip without getting caught. Didnt Kosi get reported for a similar thing a few years ago.

and the couple of belts roo copped to the head as well.....
and a free when he was sheparded off the ball and then bumped into the fence in our forward line.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

No report, but definately a free. How about when Roo was being held off the ball I think in the third quarter, then thrown into the fence!! Nothing :roll: Yes umpiring was pretty ordinary.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Richter
SS Life Member

There were probably a few discrepancies, but I have to say that in general I thought the umpiring was good. Mostly let the game go, and I hardly remember any 50m penalties - which recently seem to be given out for nothing offences.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

glad they at least looked at that trip as stuff like that can result in a full knee reconstruction. the afl should take a very dim view of it.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I dont like complaining about umps in a game where we demolish the opposition but i lost count of the amount of times the pies just blatantly dropped the ball when tackled. Incorrect disposals left, right and center.

Broodruff
Club Player

I noticed the same thing, over and over again.
Dropping the ball seems to be a thing of the past...

The tripping was a big one though. Especially the one on BJ.
Was screaming out for it to get paid but my mate said I was dreaming.
Cocky little prick! I think he loves trying to annoy me

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Griggsy wrote:I dont like complaining about umps in a game where we demolish the opposition but i lost count of the amount of times the pies just blatantly dropped the ball when tackled. Incorrect disposals left, right and center.
This is where my angst against umpires is concentrated.
I don't know what's happened to this interpretation; but it seems it doesn't matter how you dispose of the ball in that first instant when you're tackled.
Blatant dropping/throwing the ball is rife. I agree with protecting the player going for the ball..but surely this has to be balanced with rewarding the Tackler.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

There was also an incident in the last few minutes of the game with Clarke sliding in for a soccer type tackle on CJ. He made contact with the ball but he also took out CJ's legs. It looked very dangerous and not the sort of potential leg breaking action we need in AFL.

Furtius Quo Rdelious