Anyon else nervous?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Anyon else nervous?

About tonight - I have been running to the toilet all freakin' day!

Collingwood aren't meant to win this game - that's when they worry me the most. Please give me some words to allay (sp?) my fears.

Fingers

Simon Templar
Club Player

Get a grip Fingers...!

Go you good things....!!!
saint vince
Club Player

Anyon else nervous?
Yes. Always am before the footy.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Collingwood's game plan suits our current style - we will FLOG THEM.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Go Sainters Go wrote:Collingwood's game plan suits our current style - we will FLOG THEM.

i will be satisfied with a one point win

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Yeah, I am a bit. I'm quite confident (not quietly Everton :P) that we will win and win comfortably. But no matter how confident I get these days, I'm always nervous as well. because we SHOULD win and if we don't it will be a let down.

GrumpyOne

Always nervous..... every game.....every week.......for 50 years!!!!!

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Well, on paper and form we are way ahead of the Pies ATM. Anthony, Didak and (to a lesser extent, because I don't rate him) Medhurst are potentially damaging players for them who we won't have to worry about.

Against that, I think that Malthouse should never be underestimated as an opposing coach and, if the Pies play at their best, we are going to struggle to beat them (but, I reckon, still will do so unless we have a shocker). We need to take our early chances and skip ahead on the scoreboard, or we will be in for a worrying night.

What's terrific for us is how many threatening players we have who Malthouse will struggle to counteract: Riewoldt, Kosi, Milne, Dal, Gram, Joey, Fisher, Gilbert, BJ, Schneider and, to some extent, Ray, Geary, Gardi, Ball, Lenny, Baker and even Gwilt, McQualter and (if he brings his kicking boots) CJ can all provide serious threats if they have the ball in their hands forward of the centre square.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Many experts keep telling us that Malthouse is a great tactician and is very dangerous when his team has 'their backs to the wall'.
I accept the knowledge of these experts but then I think back to the last time we played the Pies.

And Malthouse was SkitHouse that night.

He seemed to have no idea how to close us down.

Was that night an abberation or was that the norm?

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I think our team is well suited to handle collingwood. In most facests of the ground as well.

Gardiner is the kind of ruckman that Fraser won't go well against. In the stoppages where it counts the most.

Their mid field is one paced, which is a contrast to ours now that the likes of Cj, Gram, Ray, are moving through it.

Their forward line is questionable, no didak, jack anthony, and possibly medhurst. Trav Cloke is terrible form and rocca still needing game time.

Not nervous, confident.

Carpe Diem
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Many experts keep telling us that Malthouse is a great tactician and is very dangerous when his team has 'their backs to the wall'.
I accept the knowledge of these experts but then I think back to the last time we played the Pies.

And Malthouse was SkitHouse that night.

He seemed to have no idea how to close us down.

Was that night an abberation or was that the norm?
??????

They beat us twice in the home and away last season.

They lost to us by 6 goals in the semi-final, without Burns, Didak, Johnson, Presti, Rocca and Heath Shaw.

I think it is a massive overstatement to say that Malthouse was outcoached in his games against us last year.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Statsman
Club Player

Very nervous! Everything suggests we should win this game - our form vs their form, our game plan vs their game plan, their omissions vs our unchanged line up. However Collingwood always seem to "step up" for blockbuster games so that's what's got me nervous.
Last edited by Statsman on Mon 11 May 2009 2:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm always worried, even more so that my 5 year old has tipped the Pies to win and he's creaming the tipping at the moment - reckons the inclusion of Steele Sidebottom is the big X factor and we wont know how to match up on him - I think that's maybe his mum talking tho

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Always nervous against Collingwood.

And I think I'll be more and more nervous with each passing consecutive win. I know all these winning events are in a sense independent of each other, but if you go by the logic that 7 in a row is less likely than 6 in a row, and 8 less likely than 7, then you have to conclude that we are more likely to lose each week than we were the previous week.

To illustrate this, a few years ago in the Diamond Valley League, one team (might have been North Heidelberg) won every game except the GF!

saintnuj

Very very nervous. Everyone is talking us up...and wants to see the Rocca V Zac matchup. I hope Zac comes out on top like he has in almost every game this season and we win like every game this season!!

Keep the lid on in 2009
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Well, on paper and form we are way ahead of the Pies ATM. Anthony, Didak and (to a lesser extent, because I don't rate him) Medhurst are potentially damaging players for them who we won't have to worry about.

Against that, I think that Malthouse should never be underestimated as an opposing coach and, if the Pies play at their best, we are going to struggle to beat them (but, I reckon, still will do so unless we have a shocker). We need to take our early chances and skip ahead on the scoreboard, or we will be in for a worrying night.

What's terrific for us is how many threatening players we have who Malthouse will struggle to counteract: Riewoldt, Kosi, Milne, Dal, Gram, Joey, Fisher, Gilbert, BJ, Schneider and, to some extent, Ray, Geary, Gardi, Ball, Lenny, Baker and even Gwilt, McQualter and (if he brings his kicking boots) CJ can all provide serious threats if they have the ball in their hands forward of the centre square.
There seems to be a lot of contradicion in this post. What's the point?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Use your fingers properly. Plug all the holes

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

no

#1 Ryder fan
older saint
SS Life Member

Anxious rather than nervous.
We are a better team than them ,
They are missing key players ( Didak , Anthony and Medhurst )
Playing at home ground ot the g
We are confident and playing as a team which we haven't in the past and dropped these type games
Malthouse / Collingwood have struggled against teams that zone off as they play the boundry line, hence why they generaly do ok against Geelong .

As long as control Davis, Pendelbry and do not let Thomas get away (as they are guys who can break the lines) i would hope for a 5 goal win.

Next week makes me more nervous - Ess ( fats team 9 day break v our 6 day break)

markp
Saintsational Legend

I get more nervous about the ones we should win than the 50/50 (or worse) shots.

And Leon Davis always worries me.

Having said all that, if we keep doing what we've been doing we'll be fine.

StSteven
Club Player

Not at all......It is the name that scares people. The team is ordinary. Win by 6+ goals....

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Look at it like this...

Collingwood lose the games they are expected to win and win the games they aren't expected to win.

This means that Collingwood should win tonight because they're expected to be belted by an undefeated team.

This means that due to their recent history they really should be expected to win this match tonight.... Therefore they will lose it.

Bulletproof logic 8-) 8-)

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:Look at it like this...

Collingwood lose the games they are expected to win and win the games they aren't expected to win.

This means that Collingwood should win tonight because they're expected to be belted by an undefeated team.

This means that due to their recent history they really should be expected to win this match tonight.... Therefore they will lose it.

that's the smartest thoing I've ever read Armoooo! Good stuff. Thanks for the laugh! :lol:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Look at it like this...

That indicates a draw to me... :?

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

realistically we are solid favourites , given no anthony and medhurst

shut down swan, davis and limit tomas and lockyer and we will win comfortably