Why Princes Park when .....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

Nattens wrote:
Saints-06-Premiers wrote:Why hasn't anyone thought of Olympic Park?

AV is moving to Albert Park with a new track being built there (though it won't be of the same standard). I believe Olympic Park is going to be turned into an oval for Collingwood to train on (their third oval in their long history at their traditional Glasshouse base). All you'd have to do is round of the wings, and replace the tartan with grass.... upgrade the seating and facilities and you have a perfect stadium that could hold (when standing areas are filled with seats) about 15k..... with a little building work here and there (like adding a second level around the goals or whatever) you could easily nudge it up to 20k or even 25k. It can be used at night which Princes Park can't.

Ideally I'd keep it as an athletics only venue as it has the best surface to run on. I would just build a giant advertising fence or something at each end to keep the wind out.!
Bad idea, at the "goal ends" for rugby there is next to no space for seating due to Swan Street and the Monash Freeway being in the way. It's going to be a very tight fit for the training oval let alone the addition of stands.
You wouldn't have to extend the end of the ground. A footy ground has to be atleast 150m long, Olympic Park easily covers that. It would still be bigger than SCG. You could extend upwards at Swan Street end sorta, it could be done. I'd leave the the River end open as its a nice view. The Eastern Grandstand (not the main one) can be revamped a bit too. And its on a train line and people can get to it.

Too lazy to update my username