Why Princes Park when .....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Craw
Club Player

Why Princes Park when .....

When the junction oval can redeveloped at the same cost with half the local council and resident’s issue.

The ground is a previous VFL ground, it has a fantastic surface. Easy public transport access. It can double up as a viable cricket venue, which it is already used for. It is in a sporting precinct being Albert Park and it provides a ground in the Southern Melbourne corridor which there is any at the moment.

Why spend 2 mill on a feasibility study to build yet another ground in Melbourne’s West.

Without prompting yet another rant from B4E, this would be the time for the Saints Board along with the Demons and Hawks to lobby the government to have the third ground at the junction oval.

The saints keep Seaford as training and HO with the Junction as Home. Block busters can be played at takenadvantageof stadium.

You all know it makes sense.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I actually think that the Saints should be planning to eventually develop a site around Frankston that is a major AFL playing venue.

Basically a mirror of the Geelong setup on the opposite side of the Bay. Does the current Seaford site have potential to be later developed into such a venue?

casey scorp
Club Player

There are three issues with this proposal:

1. Surface

Drop in wickets are fine (as we see at the MCG), but there is a significant cost involved. If the purpose of the smaller stadium is to deliver a more efficient venue for matches attracting small crowds, then building in inefficiencies will be counter to the objective.

2. Conflict with cricket

Junction Oval is a key cricket venue. It is required up until the end of March each year. Accordingly it couldn't be used for pre-season matches, nor pre-season training.

3. Cricket has Control

Cricket Victoria controls the site, and won't be too amenable to giving it up.

I'm not saying it can't happen - all of these issues can be overcome with political will and money. But there are some hurdles.

Spending $2 million on a feasibility study for another venue at Docklands is a waste.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:There are three issues with this proposal:

1. Surface

Drop in wickets are fine (as we see at the MCG), but there is a significant cost involved. If the purpose of the smaller stadium is to deliver a more efficient venue for matches attracting small crowds, then building in inefficiencies will be counter to the objective.

2. Conflict with cricket

Junction Oval is a key cricket venue. It is required up until the end of March each year. Accordingly it couldn't be used for pre-season matches, nor pre-season training.

3. Cricket has Control

I'm not saying it can't happen - all of these issues can be overcome with political will and money. But there are some hurdles.

Spending $2 million on a feasibility study for another venue at Docklands is a waste.
The only beneficiary out of this exercise will be the consultants. 2 million dollars to do a feasibility study I mean geez talk about rip off. And I know this because I am one myself.

I mean it's a little bit like the sugar industry in Australia. The sugar mill owners recently realised that they couldn't have a major capital investment lay idol for 6 months of the year all the mean while attracting large operation and maintenance costs.

So are we saying that Princess Park can afford to be solely a cricket venue and lay idol during the winter months. Nup. Pratt’s money will eventually run out and the venue would go broke.

Maybe the consultant’s money should probably go into R&D to find a solution to having a cricket pitch that lowers itself below the ground and a footy surface that raises itself into position.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Not a fan of Visy park being used as the 3rd.
Stkilda supporters have shown over the years that they refuse to go there. Last home game we had there in about 02 or 03 against freo there were 8000 there

Bring back the Lockett era
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Not a fan of Visy park being used as the 3rd.
Stkilda supporters have shown over the years that they refuse to go there. Last home game we had there in about 02 or 03 against freo there were 8000 there
The best postion for the club surely has to be somewhere along the Franston-Flinders train line, and there is possibly good argument for it to be closer to the Frankston end.

casey scorp
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:I actually think that the Saints should be planning to eventually develop a site around Frankston that is a major AFL playing venue.

Basically a mirror of the Geelong setup on the opposite side of the Bay. Does the current Seaford site have potential to be later developed into such a venue?
Try putting "Casey Fields" into Google Maps. You'll find a site ideally suited to being a 3rd stadium:

* will be able to be developed to accomodate 20-25,000 people
* has already hosted NAB Challenge matches
* will be situated on a site at the intersection of two arterial roads
* is in a rapidly growing part of Melbourne, with a regional population of Casey/Cardinia to eventually pass 500,000 people, with links across to the southern bayside suburbs (ie read Frankston), Gippsland and the Mornington Peninsula
* has a disused railway line running past, whcih may be reopened to provide access to a future growth area and provide an adjacent event station.

Then try putting "Belvedere Park Seaford" into Google Maps, and you'll see its limitations.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote: * has a disused railway line running past, whcih may be reopened to provide access to a future growth area and provide an adjacent event station.
Public transport has to be one of the key selection criteria and by public transport I mean trains. Princess park probably suffers because it isn't near a train station. It not only fits good management for large public infrastructure but it also suits future green policies. Without it (public transport/trains) it would just become another Waverley.

The Craw
Club Player

casey scorp wrote:
Try putting "Casey Fields" into Google Maps. You'll find a site ideally suited to being a 3rd stadium:

* is in a rapidly growing part of Melbourne, with a regional population of Casey/Cardinia to eventually pass 500,000 people, with links across to the southern bayside suburbs (ie read Frankston), Gippsland and the Mornington Peninsula
* has a disused railway line running past, whcih may be reopened to provide access to a future growth area and provide an adjacent event station.

Then try putting "Belvedere Park Seaford" into Google Maps, and you'll see its limitations.

No doubt that Casey Fields is a suitable place CS but it is not an existing VFL ground and as per the agreement with takenadvantageof Stadium a new venue cannot be built in the short term.

The Junction Oval is a VFL oval and the fact that Cricket Victoria has rights over it is all the more reason for the state government to re develop it.

There is no reason for the ground to be used for the NAB cup games, it is very clear that it is used as a tool to promote the game interstate.

Casey would not be an attractive option for the Hawks or Demons.

The ground would be used in the footy season for AFL games only then Cricket Victoria use for the Summer months. You would think they would jumping through hoops to get the ground upgraded.

And if you look at the revenue return for the clubs..... going by the Geelong model......$600 000 for a sell out (26 - 30 000) I am sure the clubs would be more than will to compensate for a drop in wicket.

Best it would be a clean stadium... Princes Park will still come at a cost with some return going to the Bluebeggars.

Junction Oval..... sounds even better.

Not Craw, CRAW!
bigmicka
Club Player

I can see it now.

Backpage of the Herald Sun. May 10th 2012.

"Dogs and Roos Blue move hits road bumps"

The Dogs and Kangaroos move to Princes Park has not lead to equality in match returns that they have expected. The move has left them in no better situation than their pre-existing agreement at Etihad Stadium.

Then page 7 of the sports section, same edition.

"Blues clear debt, expect 4 Million dollars profit in '13"

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I am a big junction oval fan, you can keep your casey field of dreams and belveder paddock.
The argument that it would be too costly because of cricket schedules is rediculous, the fact is when a ground isnt being utilised year round, then it is costing you money. Good training facilites around the Albert Park area and centrally located.
No one who has shared princess park with carl$cum have come out of it in reasonable financial shape.

Seeya
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

1. Surface

2. Conflict with cricket

3. Cricket has Control

4. Its not in the City of Casey ;-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
stinger
Saintsational Legend

1. Surface

2. Conflict with cricket

3. Cricket has Control

But there are some hurdles.

hence the reason we left there in the first place....... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I actually think that the Saints should be planning to eventually develop a site around Frankston that is a major AFL playing venue.

Yes you are right ideal if you live in the westurn suburbs. How wrong can you get. Obviously you are joking. Grounds these days can only be bulit in the city so everyone can get access to them. Docklands is perfect nad if they bulit another ground it would have to be in that area but lets face it there is no reason for another ground ever to be built.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
casey scorp wrote:

Yes you are right ideal if you live in the westurn suburbs. How wrong can you get. Obviously you are joking. Grounds these days can only be bulit in the city so everyone can get access to them. Docklands is perfect nad if they bulit another ground it would have to be in that area but lets face it there is no reason for another ground ever to be built.
I'm in the western suburbs and I can't see how Casey Fields would be ideal.... :?

mordi
Club Player

from left field......how about caulfield racecourse.......build a stadium in the middle, it's a big piece of land that is barely used.........plus its next to Caulfield station, which is on multiple lines.....

What's the Point of it All?
Sam23
SS Life Member

mordi wrote:from left field......how about caulfield racecourse.......build a stadium in the middle, it's a big piece of land that is barely used.........plus its next to Caulfield station, which is on multiple lines.....
i'm assuming your joking.

Goddard.
mordi
Club Player

just a left field idea......I assume the idea of building another stadium next to Docklands is a joke....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

mordi wrote:just a left field idea......I assume the idea of building another stadium next to Docklands is a joke....

that would f*** 'em wouldn't it....westfield type tactics........only problem is the ground will belong to the afl in about 15 years.........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mordi
Club Player

..but hasnt the stadium next to Docklands been proposed by state?

Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

Why hasn't anyone thought of Olympic Park?

AV is moving to Albert Park with a new track being built there (though it won't be of the same standard). I believe Olympic Park is going to be turned into an oval for Collingwood to train on (their third oval in their long history at their traditional Glasshouse base). All you'd have to do is round of the wings, and replace the tartan with grass.... upgrade the seating and facilities and you have a perfect stadium that could hold (when standing areas are filled with seats) about 15k..... with a little building work here and there (like adding a second level around the goals or whatever) you could easily nudge it up to 20k or even 25k. It can be used at night which Princes Park can't.

Ideally I'd keep it as an athletics only venue as it has the best surface to run on. I would just build a giant advertising fence or something at each end to keep the wind out.!

Too lazy to update my username
Nattens
Club Player

Saints-06-Premiers wrote:Why hasn't anyone thought of Olympic Park?

AV is moving to Albert Park with a new track being built there (though it won't be of the same standard). I believe Olympic Park is going to be turned into an oval for Collingwood to train on (their third oval in their long history at their traditional Glasshouse base). All you'd have to do is round of the wings, and replace the tartan with grass.... upgrade the seating and facilities and you have a perfect stadium that could hold (when standing areas are filled with seats) about 15k..... with a little building work here and there (like adding a second level around the goals or whatever) you could easily nudge it up to 20k or even 25k. It can be used at night which Princes Park can't.

Ideally I'd keep it as an athletics only venue as it has the best surface to run on. I would just build a giant advertising fence or something at each end to keep the wind out.!
Bad idea, at the "goal ends" for rugby there is next to no space for seating due to Swan Street and the Monash Freeway being in the way. It's going to be a very tight fit for the training oval let alone the addition of stands.

No1_Saint
Club Player

Re: Why Princes Park when .....

The Craw wrote:When the junction oval can redeveloped at the same cost with half the local council and resident’s issue.

The ground is a previous VFL ground, it has a fantastic surface. Easy public transport access. It can double up as a viable cricket venue, which it is already used for. It is in a sporting precinct being Albert Park and it provides a ground in the Southern Melbourne corridor which there is any at the moment.

Why spend 2 mill on a feasibility study to build yet another ground in Melbourne’s West.

Without prompting yet another rant from B4E, this would be the time for the Saints Board along with the Demons and Hawks to lobby the government to have the third ground at the junction oval.

The saints keep Seaford as training and HO with the Junction as Home. Block busters can be played at takenadvantageof stadium.

You all know it makes sense.
It was the bad relationship with the cricket club that lead the Saints to move to Linton St in the first place. They were screwing us over something shocking...pretty much in the same way that Collo and crew are doing to us now.

The Craw
Club Player

No1_Saint wrote: It was the bad relationship with the cricket club that lead the Saints to move to Linton St in the first place. They were screwing us over something shocking...pretty much in the same way that Collo and crew are doing to us now.
As I already mentioned in the post, HO, training etc to remain at Seaford. Just play home games at the Junction. The ground is owned by the council / state Gov. Takenadvantageof stadium is privately owned.

In regards to the cricket, the ground is not used during the winter so I dont know where the conflict is. It is a completely different arrangement to before. I am sure Cricket Victoria would rather have a updated stadium than the sh!thole they have now. Plus it is still an inner city ground.

I really cant see what issues would be. The place is ripe for a redevelopment.

Not Craw, CRAW!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote:
No1_Saint wrote: It was the bad relationship with the cricket club that lead the Saints to move to Linton St in the first place. They were screwing us over something shocking...pretty much in the same way that Collo and crew are doing to us now.
As I already mentioned in the post, HO, training etc to remain at Seaford. Just play home games at the Junction. The ground is owned by the council / state Gov. Takenadvantageof stadium is privately owned.

In regards to the cricket, the ground is not used during the winter so I dont know where the conflict is. It is a completely different arrangement to before. I am sure Cricket Victoria would rather have a updated stadium than the sh!thole they have now. Plus it is still an inner city ground.

I really cant see what issues would be. The place is ripe for a redevelopment.
No where near big enough to redevelop. No wings on one side of the ground and would cost a furtune to build new stands. No parking, no trains it aint ever going to happen.