Anticipation....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Anticipation....

Monday Night games suck....

Here we are...results all falling the Saints way...BUT we are not yet part of the action.

If the Saints play like we have in the first 6 weeks...and I am very confident that they will, then we should extend our gap on the rest of the competition.

Now....we do not know which Pies will turn up..and so I am not anticipating a massacre or anything...but I am anticipating a very good display once again from the Saints....

But due to the delay in playing it is an awkward anticipation.

Luckilly today is Mothers day...and so I will be distracted...

But tomorrow Monday will DRAG all day till that ball bounces.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Can someone explain to me the AFL's thinking behind Monday night games. I know it's big in the USA but I'm just wanting to know the reasons. The NRL have been doing it now for a season or two and the games are only on FOX so I suppose it's a TV thing but how does that let the kids follow the game. It's a school night and parents aren't going to want their kids up so late, are they?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

They are trying to work out how best to organise games once the eighteen teams are in and 9 games per round.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Can someone explain to me the AFL's thinking behind Monday night games. I know it's big in the USA but I'm just wanting to know the reasons. The NRL have been doing it now for a season or two and the games are only on FOX so I suppose it's a TV thing but how does that let the kids follow the game. It's a school night and parents aren't going to want their kids up so late, are they?
Dont see it as a problem if kids watch it on TV as long as the delay is minimal. Maybe a bit harder to go to games though. The main reason for doing it is they will need an extra game in a few years and Monday would even get more money for TV rights than Friday. Its all about money which is vital to keep all the sides.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:They are trying to work out how best to organise games once the eighteen teams are in and 9 games per round.
wow a comment without Ralph Clarke...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Can someone explain to me the AFL's thinking behind Monday night games. I know it's big in the USA but I'm just wanting to know the reasons. The NRL have been doing it now for a season or two and the games are only on FOX so I suppose it's a TV thing but how does that let the kids follow the game. It's a school night and parents aren't going to want their kids up so late, are they?
Dont see it as a problem if kids watch it on TV as long as the delay is minimal. Maybe a bit harder to go to games though. The main reason for doing it is they will need an extra game in a few years and Monday would even get more money for TV rights than Friday. Its all about money which is vital to keep all the sides.
Putting Thursday and Monday night footy into perspective, how often are we talking here? I wouldn't think that perhaps one of each per season, would be too much would it? As long as the footy wrap up shows accomodate it (which I think some of them are) so the teams featured are not forgotten....

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Tomorrow will be a long day at school

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Be an even longer day/night at work. Gotta hate the late shift and monday/friday night fixtures.
It's unfortunate I won't be able to witness those cretins going home with there tails between there legs

Bring back the Lockett era
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Depends on different parenting styles. I think later than 8:30pm for kids aged between 7-13 on a school night is too late. Moreover I wouldn't want my kids up until around 10:30ish and being all hyped up from watching the footy and then expect them to be asleep straight after.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Anticipation....

saintsRrising wrote: But tomorrow Monday will DRAG all day till that ball bounces.
Your Monday will drag??? Tomorrow is my first day back at work since before Easter :shock: :shock: :shock:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Anticipation....

joffaboy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: But tomorrow Monday will DRAG all day till that ball bounces.
Your Monday will drag??? Tomorrow is my first day back at work since before Easter :shock: :shock: :shock:
That is a BIG statement. In the interest of accuracy, I think it should be changed to; Place of Employment :shock: :roll: :wink: !!

marksnsparks
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Depends on different parenting styles. I think later than 8:30pm for kids aged between 7-13 on a school night is too late. Moreover I wouldn't want my kids up until around 10:30ish and being all hyped up from watching the footy and then expect them to be asleep straight after.
Totally agree and for this exact reason Friday night footy is the bain of my life and it isn't even a school night. 8:30 start is ridiculous and seeing the grumpy arsed state my 10 year old wakes up in one Saturday morning is the reason he goes to bed at half time now.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Try living over here in the West. Isn't shown until 8.30ppm our time, Although the match will be well and truly over by then. And I've got an RDO, so my day will drag like hell. Not happy with the TV station on this one. If they're going to play Monday night football for ratings, they better do it differently when it becomes commonplace. Friday night you can almost live with it as you can have a few beers and make a night of it with the boys. On a worknight I think I'd rather just listen to the radio and get an early night for work.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I took the week off work so I can go to the game.

Twilight games suck, however if the AFL were smart ( which is questionable) they'd have an early game Saturday, a twilight game Saturday and two Saturday night.

They also need to be careful not to flood the market with too much product.

IMO they should look how the NFL schedule their games to see how they utilise time zones across the country and maybe they should use all the commercial networks and Foxtel for TV coverage.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
mick13
Club Player

Mondays usually go fast for me, Uni in general goes pretty fast...

But the bus trip on the way home will be painful lol.

Specially if I miss my connecting bus and have to wait half an hour haha.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I've taken the day off work as I am taking a visitor and would HATE to get tied up at work and not make it...so a day of annual leave for me... :twisted:

For those with young kids I'd be sending an email to the AFL if I were you - doesn't affect me these days but I certainly wouldn't have been attending Monday night football with them when my kids were younger.

villasaint
Club Player

its all about ratings. test the water. crowd will be of no concern but if they get the 40,000 plus they will be happy. then they will wait on the ratings. If the rating are good tbey can take it to the table next time the TV rights are up for bidding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

if the game was at the G today i reckon they could of got 75,000 people there, good weather, all families want to spend the day together...why not a day at the footy?
tomorrow night will only get 45,000

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Totally agree and for this exact reason Friday night footy is the bain of my life and it isn't even a school night. 8:30 start is ridiculous and seeing the grumpy arsed state my 10 year old wakes up in one Saturday morning is the reason he goes to bed at half time now.
We all have different parenting styles but surely kids are allowed to watch footy after 8.20 if they are over 12s of age.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

it is frustrating!!!! Knowing i have to go to work tmr without my weekend saints fix is hard to deal with.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:it is frustrating!!!! Knowing i have to go to work tmr without my weekend saints fix is hard to deal with.
Or give you something to look forward to?

I quite like that our saints will be on the main stage tomorrow night....

I expect the crowd and the ratings to be quite high, and we do want to show our boys off (just a little bit) don't we?

l throw out a challenge, to at least try to find some positives in the fact we are playing tomorrow night....

Griggsy
SS Life Member

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Griggsy wrote:it is frustrating!!!! Knowing i have to go to work tmr without my weekend saints fix is hard to deal with.

I expect the crowd and the ratings to be quite high, and we do want to show our boys off (just a little bit) don't we?

l throw out a challenge, to at least try to find some positives in the fact we are playing tomorrow night....
I suppose I am taking the glass half empty approach. Maybe it could make work more enjoyable knowing saints are waiting for me on tv :P ...but work enjoyable? ...naaaa

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

I suppose I am taking the glass half empty approach. Maybe it could make work more enjoyable knowing saints are waiting for me on tv :P ...but work enjoyable? ...naaaa
At least you tried :wink:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

The weird thing for me is that we were 6-0 this time last week, and we are still 6-0. It's certainly a jolt to the system. Hope the boys can come up.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CR@P HATE IT.

“Yeah….nah””