On Collingwood and their supporters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I've read with interest the various postings about the magpies and their fans. It was something of an "education" seeing the thread about THEIR forum :wink: Its quite remarkable to think that I have several good friends who follow Collingwood and by the same token there have been several occasions when I've been in the company of SOME Sainters fans who I would happily avoid considering as friends! I guess what I'm trying to say is that footy rivalry should not lead us to judge folk on the solely on the colours of their chosen club.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: On Collingwood and their supporters

thejiggingsaint wrote:I've read with interest the various postings about the magpies and their fans. It was something of an "education" seeing the thread about THEIR forum :wink: Its quite remarkable to think that I have several good friends who follow Collingwood and by the same token there have been several occasions when I've been in the company of SOME Sainters fans who I would happily avoid considering as friends! I guess what I'm trying to say is that footy rivalry should not lead us to judge folk on the solely on the colours of their chosen club.
*Except Carlton :wink:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I think the Jigster might be a Collingwood 'sleeper'. :lol:

Loyal
Club Player

on this day the jigging saint shall be taken forth to the hills and sacrificed in the name of the father the son and the holy ghost.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:I've read with interest the various postings about the magpies and their fans. It was something of an "education" seeing the thread about THEIR forum :wink: Its quite remarkable to think that I have several good friends who follow Collingwood and by the same token there have been several occasions when I've been in the company of SOME Sainters fans who I would happily avoid considering as friends! I guess what I'm trying to say is that footy rivalry should not lead us to judge folk on the solely on the colours of their chosen club.

Surely you jest ??

What will be next from this club ?
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Good post as always mate.

Footy is like religion, you shouldn't hold someone's beliefs against them or generalise, it is only the extremists that we should fear.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Correct.
There but for the grace of god go I (or similar to that anyway).
My wife's a Captain's Club Pie and some years ago we made the mistake of going to a Saints game together - never again - both too passionate.
We had a rule on the birth of our child - boy Sainter or girl Pie - Saints now have had an additional member for the last two years! He will be gold member before he even knows who he barracks for probably!!!
Fact is, every team has ferals...even us....

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

CeilidhSaint wrote:Correct.
My wife's a Captain's Club Pie and some years ago we made the mistake of going to a Saints game together - never again - both too passionate.
We had a rule on the birth of our child - boy Sainter or girl Pie - Saints now have had an additional member for the last two years! He will be gold member before he even knows who he barracks for probably!!!
Of course it's a mass generalization.

but GENERALLY, the Collingwood fans are in a league of their own for feral behaviour.

We all know the odd Saints fan or 2 but line the feral Saints up with the feral Pies and how long would the respective lines be?

Maguire's work in trying to portray the Collingwood fan as a fine upstanding citizen belies the truth.

You only have to go in the outer when they are losing/not performing well and the true 'ugly Collingwood fan' comes out. They become belligerent, nasty, vicious and altogether extremely unpleasant. And that's just the females! The males just want to start fights!

There's an old expression which says it all-
You can take the fan out of Collingwood but you can't take the Collingwood out of the fan.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Awww... it's all in fun, Dave.

...but in general Pies supporters are moronic, feral scum. :wink:

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

In terms of ferals, I get the most trouble out of Cats supporters actually and that is after 35 years of going ot the footy regularly.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I've always found the tigers to be the most abusive

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Port Adelaide by far, thank god we only have to put up with them once a year at most.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Beekay
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote: Footy is like religion, you shouldn't hold someone's beliefs against them or generalise....
Football is nothing like religion!

Someone going to clap on 22 blokes for a bit of fun is different to organisations developed to control fools and have them waste their life pretending to be decent when in fact they hardly get off their arses and do anything.

Football is comforting and fun!

Religion is comforting (if living blissfully unaware is comfort) and amazingly stupid.

claystreet
Club Player

Copped a full can of beer in the back of the head at Moorabbin once, thrown by a bulldoggy feral. I still remember the look on his face as i turned around with beer all over me and laughed at him. He had thrown it for no other reason than we were giving the doggies a bit of it and G Burns accidently clenched fist had been in use in front of us and we as saints suporters we were going nuts in support for him.

Skirting the packs i took off around the back and over the hill to the old dunny which always was about 2inchs deep in urine. I filled a can with it and whatever else was in that plague ridden water by gloved hand snuck back up behind him and wedged the uprite down the back of his neck and it as a bloody cold day. Exit stage right and dissapear in to the crowd along the the scoreboard wing.

AHhhh the good old days, beer in cans

8-)

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
I second that motion.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Jiggingsaint did you have a Luke Skywalker moment when you told Eddie that he murdered your father only to be told by Eddie that he is your father.

Or like Anakin you were seduced by the dark side.

Where's the Spanish Inquisition when you need them.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No "Luke Skywalker moment" mate, just putting the view that not ALL magpies (or any other opposition supporters for that matter) are "feral"

Over to you Spanish inquisitor :wink: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually a friend of mine who is an Essendon supporter made an interesting observation.

He said that with most clubs about 90% of supporters were fine with about 10% feral even with his beloved Bombers.

However with Collingwood, it was the other way around 90% feral, mentally challenged and just the dregs of society, with about 10% ok.

To me, every time we play Collingwood I feel like I'm trapped in the Big Brother house, hopefully, by 3/4 time a lot of them will be evicted.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Nah.....stuff them all.....

:lol:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I agree that most clubs have about 10% of their fans as ferals and that also applies to Collingwood, give or take 1 or 2%.

However because Collingwood have such a large fan base they simply have more ferals due to the weight of numbers.

Also you are more likely to notice a Collingwood feral due the the stereotype that we have all been conditioned to accept since we were in diapers....

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I have one proud football boast and that is that I have never been in this country when Collingwood won a premiership.
Fortunately in 1990 I was in Chicago, which is probably as geographically as far away as you can get from Melbourne.
Still saw it live in a bar on what was a Friday night there and it was an absolutely shocking game of football and painful to watch.

saintfreddy
Club Player

After attending the footy for many years, I have always found Colllingwood to have the most obnoxious supporters. All clubs have some, but take their cheer squad. I don't recall ever being to a match where Victoria Police weren't dragging some of their supporters away.

However saying that, there was a couple of years at Etihad stadium where there were some rather obnoxious Saints supporters behind me. Probably the saddest part is, one of my mates (that is loyal through paying his m/ship each and every year) although only attending a few games, would probably do well with supporters I am describing. :oops:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The more obnoxious the fan, the more satisfying the win 8-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:

yea.....and the crowlice..... :wink: :lol: ..we were basically a suburban league........and some suburbs were scummier than others........collingwood, fitzroy, carlton, footscray were places i would not have ventured to on my own in the early 60s.......carlton has changed now ........their fans haven't.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
CeilidhSaint wrote:Correct.
Of course it's a mass generalization.

but GENERALLY, the Collingwood fans are in a league of their own for feral behaviour.

We all know the odd Saints fan or 2 but line the feral Saints up with the feral Pies and how long would the respective lines be?

Maguire's work in trying to portray the Collingwood fan as a fine upstanding citizen belies the truth.

You only have to go in the outer when they are losing/not performing well and the true 'ugly Collingwood fan' comes out. They become belligerent, nasty, vicious and altogether extremely unpleasant. And that's just the females! The males just want to start fights!

There's an old expression which says it all-
You can take the fan out of Collingwood but you can't take the Collingwood out of the fan.

there was a reason nicky was holding up his jumper...i've actually heard the pricks myself racially abusing leon neon when he was having a bad day.......scum.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.