Matt Maguire 5 goals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

aussiejones
Club Player

Matt Maguire 5 goals

Matt Maguire kicked 5 for Sandy today !!

When can we expect him back ?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Played a fair whack down back and in the ruck as well

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

He pushed very hard for next week, could be the third tall forward we have been looking for.

Gwilt better not drop off on Monday or he could lose his spot.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
TassieJones
Club Player

as soon as possible

sainter2631
Club Player

Not only did he kick 5 goals, which is sensational, but he was the highest possession getter for Sandy and took 11 marks. Clearly best on ground. Shame we didn't win or he would have gotten that little trophy thing they gave to Mitch Robinson :P

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I reckon he might have Jimmy's spot in his eye's.
He's moving well. Bring in against the dons, will stretch there defence.

Bring back the Lockett era
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I hadn't seen Goose live for ages before last week - thought he was very solid, ran the game out and looked far too big and strong for VFL.

Saw most of the game today on ABC and again from a fitness perspective, he looks good to go on.

I think whether he'd kicked one or twenty goals today, the main factor with Goose is whether he can run the games out and attack contests - that he IS showing.

Even if he's a bit behind the pace of AFL, that will soon come to him when he steps up to that level.

The Goose cannot be far off.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who was the IDIOT who suggested he learn to play fwd......to get some versatility with his game, and find a spot in the team......as a third fwd, who can play back aswell..... 8-) :lol:

and that poster was howled down.... :roll: :wink:

We could have the following players who could play as the third fwd......
Maguire 192, Gilbert 194, Goddard 189, R.Clake 188, S.Fisher 191, Blake (defensive) 191, Gwilt 188.

and the key point is.....all of them can also play back......and some through the middle or on the wing

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Until we lose (Touch wood) or someone gets injured, I think Matty has to wait, it's almost unfair to drop anyone whilst we're playing like this.

TassieJones
Club Player

The Saintsational Man wrote:Until we lose (Touch wood) or someone gets injured, I think Matty has to wait, it's almost unfair to drop anyone whilst we're playing like this.
Out of interest, would you bring Hudghton straight back in? Or make him play reserves?

It would seem silly to have a proven superstar full back running around in the reserves, just because Dawson doesn't deserve to be dropped, and wait until Dawson gets a bag kicked on him to make the change.

Now Goose is no Hudghton, far from it, but I think he's in the same boat. Should we really wait until one of our more average blokes has a shocker, and possibly loses us a game, before bringing in a superior player>

just my take on it.

kaos theory
Club Player

Maguire 192, Gilbert 194, Goddard 189, R.Clake 188, S.Fisher 191, Blake (defensive) 191, Gwilt 188.
Assuming no injuries, out of those guys Goose would be probably be challenging for Gwilt's place.

Interesting comparision here is that goose has more physicality & height, & better contested mark. The both have booming kick, but gwilt is a little more accurate, and has a little more mobility/pace.

Gwilt is interesting in that he has no football pedegree, he didn't come through an elite jounior system, just played for noble park. Therefore, the more he plays at the highest level, he may have a lot more up side to come out of his game.

A tough choice coming up....

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
Assuming no injuries, out of those guys Goose would be probably be challenging for Gwilt's place.

Interesting comparision here is that goose has more physicality & height, & better contested mark. The both have booming kick, but gwilt is a little more accurate, and has a little more mobility/pace.

Gwilt is interesting in that he has no football pedegree, he didn't come through an elite jounior system, just played for noble park. Therefore, the more he plays at the highest level, he may have a lot more up side to come out of his game.

A tough choice coming up....
Alternatively Goose has shown he is capable of being an excellent player and was so close to being AA before breaking his leg.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
kaos theory
Club Player

Alternatively Goose has shown he is capable of being an excellent player and was so close to being AA before breaking his leg.
Not really. Goose was struggling. He was very good in 04 & 05, but was struggling before he broke his leg (06?).

He was in fact tried at full forward for a few games, but it wasn't happening for him. He had lost form, but also, the game style was changing at that time. More flooding, run & carry, and his lack of mobility was an issue.

Not saying that he isn't a good player, he is, just saying finding someone to drop for him will be tough.

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="kaos theory"][quote]Alternatively Goose has shown he is capable of being an excellent player and was so close to being AA before breaking his leg.[/quote]

Not really. Goose was struggling. He was very good in 04 & 05, but was struggling before he broke his leg (06?).

He was in fact tried at full forward for a few games, but it wasn't happening for him. He had lost form, but also, the game style was changing at that time. More flooding, run & carry, and his lack of mobility was an issue.

Not saying that he isn't a good player, he is, just saying finding someone to drop for him will be tough.[/quote]

Goose is superior to Gwilt in a marking contest.
Goose tackles the opposition much harder than Gwilt.
Both have shown they can kick long and accurately for goal.
The only reasons to keep Gwilt in ahead of Maguire are if he makes MORE tackles than Maguire or he gets more ground ball than Maguire.

Personal I would like to have Maguire at full forward, Koschitzke in the forward pocket moving into the goal square when Maguire leads, and Riewoldt dominate the game and take his yips further away from goal.

Next week we play S--- & Dung who will be without Fletcher.
These three marking forwards could really exploit direct attacking entries in forward 50.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

TassieJones wrote:
The Saintsational Man wrote:Until we lose (Touch wood) or someone gets injured, I think Matty has to wait, it's almost unfair to drop anyone whilst we're playing like this.
Out of interest, would you bring Hudghton straight back in? Or make him play reserves?

It would seem silly to have a proven superstar full back running around in the reserves, just because Dawson doesn't deserve to be dropped, and wait until Dawson gets a bag kicked on him to make the change.

Now Goose is no Hudghton, far from it, but I think he's in the same boat. Should we really wait until one of our more average blokes has a shocker, and possibly loses us a game, before bringing in a superior player>

just my take on it.
It's a tough call either way, but I wouldn't say Goose is straight in, but Maxy is probably my only exception.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Nice to see the young man looking so fit. He's always been one of my favourite players. He may work up forward. He can mark and kick and handball, but I wonder about the chase out at the moment. A senior game will tell I suppose.
Last edited by perfectionist on Sat 09 May 2009 7:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Seniors time surely.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

TassieJones wrote:

Max has not played a game in ages.

Would lack fitness and match touch...

Backline in seniors is playing very well.

So as much as I love and respect Max...he has to play with Sandy first.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
TassieJones wrote:

If he is fit - then he is fit.

Max should be straight into the seniors.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
TassieJones wrote:

Surely you are joking. Goes against everything RL has been doing this year. Will not have played for at least 9 weeks and hopefully 7 out of 7 victories. May even play Sandy reserves. No hope of playing first up with the Saints unless we have the worst run of injuries.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

My man.

You beauty.

Turn the T.V. and started watching, the ball was in Sandy's defence and I couldn't see Goose so I was concerned then saw him burst the pack for a great mark up forward and I was stoked.

Must be close to a re-call

Thank god we haven't seen the last of him.

To the top
SS Life Member

There is also the work they are doing on the track.

That will dictate with Hudgden and will probably see him resume at AFL level.

King is an automatic inclusion.

R. Clarke is awaiting an opportunity - and will resume.

Others are attempting to impress at VFL level - which is a different type of football to AFL. On today's performance most were disappointing - but, I repeat, VFL is a different game from AFL with its body on body style.

That said, most at least showed something with probably Steven the best whilst Armitage worked hard enough. Stanley also showed considerable potential.

Maguire looked on track today, but, in my view, only looked on track.

It is good to see him playing footy again and it is particularly pleasing to see him camp his big body under the ball, command the space and take contested marks.

With TV coverage you can not see his defensive manning up and his defensive chasing and this is annoying because you can not pass a comment on his game - except for when the cameras were on him.

I would not expect him to play as a forward at AFL level, no matter his performance today.

I am of the opinion that he will have another month at VFL level - and past that a stand out game at CHB will herald his return for his 100th game - named at CHB.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He will not play back in the seniors unless we are ravaged by injury......I will tell you why

Dawson
Blake
S.Fisher
Hudghton
Gilbert

and one of those will not be in at full strength.....

No Room..........

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Up front?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
TassieJones wrote:

Surely you are joking. Goes against everything RL has been doing this year. Will not have played for at least 9 weeks and hopefully 7 out of 7 victories. May even play Sandy reserves. No hope of playing first up with the Saints unless we have the worst run of injuries.
Are we talking about the same player?

If we were losing, would you play him in the seniors?

The performance of Zac Dawson allows Maxie the extra week or two to ensure he is super fit.

And I don't agree on what RL has been doing for the entire year, I believe we should pick our best players and not dodge having to make a tough call on selection.

And If hudghton was to come through the reserves, it should only be for fitness. This bloke shouldn't have to earn his spot. Lets not forget that Zac didn't in the first place.