Andrew Plympton on SEN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Andrew Plympton on SEN

Did anyone hear the Andrew Plympton interview on SEN about 430pm?
I came right in at the end of the interview, but I understand it was about the various stadium deals we've been involved with over the past decade.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Is it true we snagged a deal with Phillip Morris because Plympton was so enamoured with their product? That bloke smoked for the World XI.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The most interesting thing he said on the show was that we had 27000 members in 1998 which was 3rd or 4th in the AFL. 11 years later we have 30000 and are 3rd or 4th last. There is some real problems in the last 10 years of our membership department.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Is it true we snagged a deal with Phillip Morris because Plympton was so enamoured with their product? That bloke smoked for the World XI.
No in fact his Board lost a sponsorship worth 6 figures because he allowed the 'Quit campaign' to cover their 2 Peter Jackson billboards at Moorabbin with their own anti-smoking messages. For this they received a 'low 5 figure sum from Quit. A significant shortfall on what they were getting from Philip Morris.

One could argue the merit of their slogan but I might humbly suggest you don't accept their money and then 'screw them over'. These people have long memories and own many other 'acceptable' companies which could be approached for sponsorship.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Is it true we snagged a deal with Phillip Morris because Plympton was so enamoured with their product? That bloke smoked for the World XI.
No in fact his Board lost a sponsorship worth 6 figures because he allowed the 'Quit campaign' to cover their 2 Peter Jackson billboards at Moorabbin with their own anti-smoking messages. For this they received a 'low 5 figure sum from Quit. A significant shortfall on what they were getting from Philip Morris.

One could argue the merit of their slogan but I might humbly suggest you don't accept their money and then 'screw them over'. These people have long memories and own many other 'acceptable' companies which could be approached for sponsorship.
But we went with a far more ethical company straight after Phillip Morris, didn't we?

Good to see our morals were in the right place 8-)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

But we went with a far more ethical company straight after Phillip Morris, didn't we?

Good to see our morals were in the right place 8-)
No matter how you try to spin it, we didn't 'drop' Philip Morris. They 'dropped us because of the unprofessional actions of our Board at the time.

Our Board had no qualms with taking their money over a number of years.

And the issue is more about the 'bridges they burned' in their actions.

Would we have liked to get sponsorship from:-
Kraft
Miller Beer
Jacob Suchard
Toblerone
Lindeman Wines

Just a few of the huge conglomerates owned by Philip Morris at that time.

The AFL had already mandated that Philip Morris could no longer be our major sponsor. SO they took up a 'lesser' spopnsorship in the $100,000+ mark for what?

2 billboards at Moorabbin that only those who went to training saw and a couple of cigarette vending machines in the Social CLub.

We've heard countless times that sponsorships cost us big $ to service and here we had a case where we were getting a significant sum for virtualy no cost to us.

Not to mention that Philip Morris apart from their sponsorship made certain to use our facilities (at further cost to themselves).

No, as I posted earlier, the moral question of accepting money from a cigarette company hadn't been a problem to this particular Board.

Only their incompetence lost us a significant, long-term sponsor.
Who knows what we could have received had they acted properly and appropriately?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

interesting.....to think that he was replaced with a jerk like butterss is absolutely gut wrenchingly mind boggling......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

interesting.....to think that he was replaced with a jerk like butterss is absolutely gut wrenchingly mind boggling......
what an incredible statement, Buttres is the only president I can think of in my knowledge of the club to be the most successful financially , am i wrong here?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
stinger wrote:

what an incredible statement, Buttres is the only president I can think of in my knowledge of the club to be the most successful financially , am i wrong here?
he was a miser...preferring to bank all the money rather than spend it on the one thing the club was created for.........the football department.......don't get me started on that arsehole...it will only open up old wounds.......there were reasons for the statements made by the incoming president.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

A great interview by Francis, it pretty much shows what sort of a yes man Plympton was, sadly he accepted every deal thrown his way by the AFL without any support or feedback from the members.
he spoke of demographics concerning Geelong and how easy it was for them to pull it off...well It's a no brainer that the Saints had the whole eastern suburbs as it's demographic.
We have been unlucky with our leaders at times. I must admit at least Buttres created a financially sound basis for the club, hope that doesn't get blown.

saint08
Club Player

dont forget all the stuff written at the time butters was removed- butters ousted plympton and they did not speak for years. yeras later when butterss was under pressure, he "welcomed" plympton back and gave him a paying chairmanship of concept sports , which buters and casey went into together with finance from korda and mentha . So with sharing the money around, don't be surprised to hear pltmpton speak well of butters .

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
stinger wrote:

Butters had his faults but did more for us financially than any other prez with respects to us getting in the black.

Had Butters administration recruited a Ross Lyon in 2004 (and not so-called friends...)....who understood the meaning of FITNESS AND CONDITIONING we'd have a flag by now IMHO.

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
stinger wrote:

Butters had his faults but did more for us financially than any other prez with respects to us getting in the black.

Had Butters administration recruited a Ross Lyon in 2004 (and not so-called friends...)....who understood the meaning of FITNESS AND CONDITIONING we'd have a flag by now IMHO.

You know..I really really wonder now who exactly was the one that started the move to axe Blight.

Was it the Director of Football?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 08 May 2009 1:19am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Short memories folks, have we all forgotten about the SOS campaign that stopped us from going under.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Seems to be some history rewriting in some of what is written above.

I have heard both Butterss and Plympton talk about Plympton mentoring Butterrs once he Plympton moved on.

((Plympton by the way heads up our Olympic Sailing Team and led it's overhaul which proved so successful in Beijing))

On Butterss...yes he lost the plot in the end with his fued with GT.

But don't forget in his last year:

* he appointed Lyon via the committee that he was on.
* he appointed Ross Smith to "fix" our player conditioning and training mess and this led to in his "last days" hiring Misson, our new Olympic Club doc an sever others (which for some odd reason Westaway is WRONGLY given the credit for).

Butterss only real mistake apart from his "GT Feud"...was appointing his then mate GT as the St Kilda Coach. A job that GT was NEVER qualified for.

Bar for that act of stupidity he would have had a happier like...and IMO we would have had some more silverware.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 08 May 2009 1:33am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Seems to be some history rewriting in some of what is written above.

I have heard both Butterss and Plympton talk about Plympton mentoring Butterrs once he Plympton moved on.

((Plympton by the way heads up our Olumoc Sailing Team and led it's oberhaul which proved so successful in Beijing))

On Butterss...yes he lost the plot in the end with his fued with GT.

But don't foraget in his last year:

* he appointed Lyon via the committe that he was on.
* he appointed Ross Smith to "fix" our player conditioning and training mess and this led to in his "last days" hring Misson, ou new Olympic Club doc an sever others (which for some odd reason westaways is WRNGLY given the credit for).

Butterss only reall mistake aprt from his "GT Fued"...was appointing his then mate GT as the St Kilda Coach. A job that GT was NEVER qualified for.

Bar for that act of stupidity he would have had a happier like...and IMO we would have had some more silverware.
Thats how I see it also.

Butters was guilty of being stupidly conned and thats not great but he wont be the last.....

“Yeah….nah””
karnaby
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Selective quoting no doubt, however I agree 100%.

I, however, believe that Butterss also made a mistake in not putting more money into the football department.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Teflon wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
stinger wrote:

You know..I really really wonder now who exactly was the one that started the move to axe Blight.

Was it the Director of Football?
You have a really sneeky way of saying you hate GT. At least a few others are honest in their hatred. You just drop the hints.

saint vince
Club Player

We are 6-0. % of nearly 200. About tosmash the pies in Moday night fotball and everyone on here wants to bitch about a lost sponsorship in 1988 and a feud between two blokes who haven't been at the club for 3 years.

Lets move on and enjoy 2009.

We can all talk about if, buts and maybes but instead why not move on and hopefully we can win that missing flag that we want so bad.

C'mon saints.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saint vince wrote:We are 6-0. % of nearly 200. About tosmash the pies in Moday night fotball and everyone on here wants to bitch about a lost sponsorship in 1988 and a feud between two blokes who haven't been at the club for 3 years.

We can all talk about if, buts and maybes but instead why not move on and hopefully we can win that missing flag that we want so bad.

C'mon saints.
We're doing exactly that in threads that were started to discuss that topic.

This thread was raised specifically to discuss Andrew Plympton's interview on SEN.

Since Andrew Plympton has had no official role with the Saints for years, I'm puzzled why you feel the need to admonish those posters who want to discuss his interview and other matters involving him?

I would agree with your thoughts 100% if the thread was titled 'Saints in 2009' or similar, but it's not.

saint vince
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
saint vince wrote:We are 6-0. % of nearly 200. About tosmash the pies in Moday night fotball and everyone on here wants to bitch about a lost sponsorship in 1988 and a feud between two blokes who haven't been at the club for 3 years.

C'mon saints.
We're doing exactly that in threads that were started to discuss that topic.

This thread was raised specifically to discuss Andrew Plympton's interview on SEN.

Since Andrew Plympton has had no official role with the Saints for years, I'm puzzled why you feel the need to admonish those posters who want to discuss his interview and other matters involving him?

I would agree with your thoughts 100% if the thread was titled 'Saints in 2009' or similar, but it's not.
Sorry for being distracted by the fact that the last three posts and most of the one before it were about Buteress and GT and not about Plympton at all. The I/V was about stadium deals. No one i talking about that issue in this thread that is all I am saying. It has turned into another list of what Buteress, GT, Lyon should have, would have could have's. I just thinkit is time to move on from the past and to enjoy what is going on this year.

Saints43
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Butterss only real mistake apart from his "GT Feud"...was appointing his then mate GT as the St Kilda Coach. A job that GT was NEVER qualified for.

A part of appointing GT was to set in place the plan to 'bottom-out' to acquire a number of high draft picks. While it all seems obvious now and is accepted practice to 'rebuild' a failing clubs list it had never been done before and therefore the likelyhood of success unknown.

I think it would have been a reasonably hard sell to say to a first time coach "Here's the plan - you will start with a win-loss record of 5-30."

Wether GT needed to be moved on sooner, the club structured differently is a different issue but I don't think anyone but someone who was in on the plan from the off could have been appointed.

I think people forget how revolutionary the plan to use the draft system to best advantage was at the time. And those that came up with the design should be appreciated (even if it didn't deliver a flag). We didn't have the advantage Hawthorn had to see if it worked AND the mistakes to avoid. It's why Clarkson mentioned our club as a model on the MCG just after holding up the cup.
Last edited by Saints43 on Fri 08 May 2009 11:06am, edited 1 time in total.

Saints43
Club Player

As for Plympton...

(And I fully understand the time, effort and dedication that the honorary position of President requires. This is not a go at AP personally)

He announced a $550K profit to the papers every year which never appeared in the Annual Report.

He ran the club like a personal fiefdom. Was matey with the players (a big mistake for presidents IMO) and made decisions on coaches based on personalities (allegedly).

Appointed a news reader as coach.

The AFL had to appoint a CEO (Don Hanly?) to run the club properly.

Had to be removed with a crow bar (perhaps everyone in power does) when a superior ticket (RB et al) came along.

I will always be grateful to the people who give their time and expertise to the club but I believe that APs reign was a pretty ordinary one. (Especially considering we had two bouts of on-field success during his time)

markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: You have a really sneeky way of saying you hate GT. At least a few others are honest in their hatred. You just drop the hints.
Who 'hates' GT?... name one.

For someone who is so pedantic about biased views and emotive language, labeling someone a hater is unfair.

It is possible to think he is a pr1ck without hating him.