Saints Round 7 team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Saints Round 7 team

St KILDA
B: Farren Ray, Jason Blake, Zac Dawson
HB: Jarryn Geary, Sam Fisher, Brendon Goddard
C: Jason Gram, Luke Ball, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Stephen Milne, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Schneider
F: Lenny Hayes, Justin Koschitzke, Sam Gilbert
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Clint Jones, Leigh Montagna
Int (from): Steven Baker, Andrew McQualter, James Gwilt, Robert Eddy, David Armitage, Ben McEvoy, Raphael Clarke

In: D Armitage, B McEvoy, R Clarke

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

No King is a bit disappointing, assuming there are no injuries I would just assume we are going in unchanged...

FWIW
Collingwood
B: Harry O’Brien, Simon Prestigiacomo, Martin Clarke
HB: Nick Maxwell, Nathan Brown, Alan Toovey
C: Anthony Corrie, Dale Thomas, Jaxson Barham
HF: Scott Pendlebury, Travis Cloke, Leon Davis
F: Tarkyn Lockyer, Leigh Brown, Brent Macaffer
Foll: Josh Fraser, Dane Swan, Shane O’Bree
I/C (from): Paul Medhurst, Ben Reid, Anthony Rocca, Heath Shaw, Steele Sidebottom, Danny Stanley, Sharrod Wellingham

In: Shaw, Rocca, Sidebottom, Reid, Stanley
Out: John Anthony (susp), Dayne Beams (groin)

That HF line is a bit of a concern but their midfield looks very ordinary.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Yep... looks like our only change will be Raph for Miles on the Emergency list.

Looks like Collingwood will be Rocca in for Anthony and Shaw for Beams.

Really hope Zac lines up on Rocca... the average Pie fan hasn't observed his handiwork on Bazza or Tredders... :twisted:

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Personally, I'd bring in any one of the 3 in's for Eddy as the only change... But ideally I'd probably go for BigMac so Kosi can spend more time forward...

however, all likelyhood is no change...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Personally, I'd bring in any one of the 3 in's for Eddy as the only change... But ideally I'd probably go for BigMac so Kosi can spend more time forward...

however, all likelyhood is no change...
Agreed an all counts.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:But ideally I'd probably go for BigMac so Kosi can spend more time forward.
or raph so bj can spend more time forward?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:That HF line is a bit of a concern but their midfield looks very ordinary.
Pendlebury and Davis will probably spend more time in the centre than Barham, Corrie and Thomas will. I wouldn't take too much from the named teams.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I think that Raph will come back in for Eddy.

He is highly regarded and played a great game marking everything last time we played them.

However, this may just be what I want (not Ross).

In Ross we trust

ThePunter
Club Player

Structurally we need Kosi to play forward, so I'd want to bring McEvoy in, but I'd be stumped as to who to leave out. It would probably be Eddy, but he'd be very, very stiff.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Sobraz wrote:But ideally I'd probably go for BigMac so Kosi can spend more time forward.
or raph so bj can spend more time forward?
either, or.... But I think Kosi settled forward with BJ floating in and out is our best forward structure....

That said, I do think that a fully fit and firing Raph is in our best 22, but I think 2 proper ruckmen is of more importance, so a bit of shuffling still to do...

vacuous space
SS Life Member

ThePunter wrote:Structurally we need Kosi to play forward, so I'd want to bring McEvoy in, but I'd be stumped as to who to leave out. It would probably be Eddy, but he'd be very, very stiff.
I would think that, if we move Kosi forward, Gwilt would be the one to make way. He's the one who was playing as a tall last week (on Lake, then Morris). I'm not trying to revive the whole 'drop Gwilt' thing, but if we're going to maintain structure, I don't think Eddy's going out of the forward line for Kosi.

My guess is no change.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

geeezz... what do you lot have against Eddy??.... he has done everything asked of him.... the spot is his, we are winning..... the others can bide their time.... let them really work and appreciate a spot in the 22 if /when their opportunity arises.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Nothing against Eddy.

I quite like him really.

I think Raph can become a dominant player and was on the cusp of doing so.

Not so Eddy.

ThePunter
Club Player

I have nothing against Eddy, but I think we need another ruckman so Riewoldt isn't our only target, and I want to drop everyone else in the side less. Eddy has done nothing wrong. McQualter, Jones, Dawson, Geary & Gwilt have done even less wrong.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sidebottom on stand by for Medhurst I imagine.

I wonder if any of these players will play at all for Sandy on Sat, perhaps even only a half as I imagine the rest of the squad still has a training session.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Raph for Gwilt, Raph to take Sam Gilbert's spot, Sam to be another tall forward. That is my preference anyway.

To the top
SS Life Member

Gwilt is more than handy because he can play back or forward - as shown when he had to go back after R. Clarke was injured against Sydney.

He is currently playing forward because Koschitzke has not been there (injury and rucking).

I am among those who would prefer to see Koschitzke playing on the forward line, with some utility forays.

That means a ruckman to replace King - and to give us a real advantage against Fraser.

R. Clarke is, like Gwilt, able to go both back and forward.

Fisher, Blake, Dawson and Gilbert are automatic picks in defence, then the "utility" defensive players such as Goddard and Ray would appear to nominally fill the 6 defensive posts.

You would use Gwilt to rotate Goddard and Ray out and you would look for R. Clarke to join that rotation.

A couple of players may be unlucky if my structure is adopted because I would include McEvoy (then King as an automatic inclusion) and R. Clarke.

And I would retain Gwilt.

Now it gets interesting, doesn't it?

rexy
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Raph for Gwilt, Raph to take Sam Gilbert's spot, Sam to be another tall forward. That is my preference anyway.
Still cant get my head around this idea of moving arguably our most in form defender, whos main strength is run and carry and breaking lines, in to the forward line? Where is the benefit?

nothing pesonal, I just dont get it.

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

RL has been very consistant. Unless you are star there are no changes from a winning side. No stars in the emergency line up so no change.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood without Anthony, Didak and probably Medhurst, wonder who will kick their goals.

We have a chance to absolutely smash this mob, just hope we take it, I'd love a stress free Monday night starting early in the 2nd quarter with Rex bringing out the fat lady.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Hayes and Gilbert still "playing" in forward pockets but not scoring many goals. Collingwood will think they are on a winner there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It becomes meaningless when everyone knows that players will never line up their selected positions.
Even more ridiciulous is the postions themselves, they don't exist in practice.

When was the last time Hawthorn had six forwards.
One Hawthorn player admitted thati f he strays inside 50 he gets told to get out.

Soccer once had a centre forward, inside right, inside left, outside right, outside left etc in a 5:3:2 configuration.
Now their coaches have whatever configuration suits.

It is about time that selected teams were shown simply in terms of
Forwards, Defenders , Rucks and Midfielders with all 22 included.
Last edited by ace on Thu 07 May 2009 8:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Miles did nothing as an emergency last week so he gets dropped.
Next time he is an emergency he will know he has to play a lot better. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Back to Sandringham to maintain fitness and touch.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
starsign
Club Player

well the bottom line is ....what a great in form , very flexable 22 we can put out there ....just love it and enjoying the moment
We will cream these perrenial priks, and if they think they were demolished last time they played us on the G in september they aint seen nothing yet!!
GOSAINTERS!!

Aside:
I sat in the G members at the Semi Final last year, totaly surrounded by Pie supporters! In the 1st minute or 2 when Milney got hte ball the bloke behind yelled "rapist" and everyone twittered I turned round and just glared Few minutes later he was at it again , I think Milney goaled again,and I turned around and spoke to his wife/partner and said "you gotta be proud of your mate there,but .he's not going to see the game out if he keeps yelling out stuff like that in here.
Anyway as the game progressed, I was a lone but very vocal voice as we marched on all over the filth
At 3/4 time (game over )I stood to stretch the legs,as you do, and my glasses fell over to the seat in front . the lady in front also a Pie fan screamed "don't think I'm going to pass them back to you, you have been far to loud all day! . Leaning over to retrieve them, I replied so all and sundry could hear "No probs I'll get em , and if you think
that was loud barracking you'd better get going now and catch the early train home cos its only going to get worse from here on in!
Best day at the G I can remember since '66!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Personally, I'd like Armitage for Eddy.

Again, nothing against Eddy, who I feel has been alright in the past few weeks.

However, Armitage is player who looks to me as though he will respond to a confident group around him. Got the feeling that if he could rack up four or five games on the trot of 18+ touches, it could spark his career to life.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Personally, I'd like Armitage for Eddy.

Again, nothing against Eddy, who I feel has been alright in the past few weeks.

However, Armitage is player who looks to me as though he will respond to a confident group around him. Got the feeling that if he could rack up four or five games on the trot of 18+ touches, it could spark his career to life.
I dont think Eddy is ever going to be a real star but I dont think Armo has done enough in a lower grad of footy this year. If Armo was picked up at say pick 40 would you still think the same way. I think like you I suppose because he was a top 10 pick he will kick on but i am really not so sure.