No media - we are too far under the radar......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

No media - we are too far under the radar......

So how the heck do we get some media?

First it's the pathetic Tigers and their equally pathetic coach, now we have GT and his hatred of Josh Fraser.

Do we need a few losses to get some attention from those media types??

Is not newsworthy that we've won 5 on the trot with a massive percentage, given many thought we'd fall away this year???

Surely we deserve a bit more a run - anything to get people turning up to our games couldn't go astray (although the next 2 rounds are away games :roll: )

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

It's good.....I like it.

They'll jump on in time, but for now.....it's all about doing our thing.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I reckon the fact we've beaten 5 Interstate sides has something to do with it, although I'm not quite sure why lol

Add (especially) the Doggies and Pies scalps to our belt and I reckon the jungle drums will start beating!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:It's good.....I like it.

I concur wholeheartedly.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, look it's a tough one...

On the field, everyone is doing to the job they're paid to do - win matches. So they're doing their high-profile jobs well - is that more newsworthy than Terry Wallace or Mick Malthouse potentially losing their jobs? Well, no, of course not...

I think we're getting quite a bit of good media...(although we are still being a little bit retrospectively punished for the way we handed the media in the past. There can be no question about this. Past mistakes have hurt us).

However, I'd like to point out that I have noticed some changes.
- The Ch 7 mini-docu before Round 2 was excellent and was a sign that the club is realising that the media can be used for the good.
- Ross Lyon has realised that being an arsehole to the media was not only pointless but disempowering. It brought him scrutiny he could do without. Now he understands that you work with the media to explain things to fans, not against them.
- Our pre-season stuff with The Age was really good. The day of our NAB Cup opener we had honest articles with Ball, Riewoldt and Lyon (I think).

I reckon the media is giving us a fair run. We've been praised by: Garry Lyon, Mike Sheahan, Grant Thomas, James Hird, Gerard Healy, Nathan Buckley, Dennis Cometti, Bruce McAvaney...I mean, given the best team in the comp is also 5-0, what more do you want?
The Saintsational Man wrote:It's good.....I like it.

Very true.
saint66au wrote:I reckon the fact we've beaten 5 Interstate sides has something to do with it, although I'm not quite sure why
Also a good point. Smaller crowds, lesser build-ups, etc.

But this has suited us to a tee. Lower expectation has probably helped us get away to a strong start, build confidence and get ourselves in strong armour for the rest of the year.

No cause for concern from where I stand. We have ground to make up on and off the field and this is what it boils down to: hard work (and continued, sustained, ongoing hard work).

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

noob
Club Player

do you think when we lose the headlines say something like the luck has ran out? or something that simply shows that we aren't as good as they think we are?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:do you think when we lose the headlines say something like the luck has ran out? or something that simply shows that we aren't as good as they think we are?
Well duh, of course, when we lose...we'll cop the following:

If it's this week, it'll be:
"HOT DOGS EXPOSE SAINTS"

if it's the week after
"JUST ANOTHER MAGIC MAGPIE MONDAY"

I mean, really...what do you expect them to say?
"UNLUCKY SAINTS ROBBED BY UMPIRES BUT WILL PROBABLY WIN NEXT WEEK"

That's what saints.com.au is for :wink:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Media is good. Hype sells tickets, merchandise and memberships. Memberships mean money. Money means we can sign all the out of contract Victorians from GC17 in 2013...

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Raven
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: I reckon the media is giving us a fair run. We've been praised by: Garry Lyon, Mike Sheahan, Grant Thomas, James Hird, Gerard Healy, Nathan Buckley, Dennis Cometti, Bruce McAvaney.
Don't forget Crawford. He hasn't stopped singing our praises almost to the extent of saying we're certainties to win the big one this year.

Unless of course you don't count him as part of the media. ;)

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Raven wrote:
evertonfc wrote: I reckon the media is giving us a fair run. We've been praised by: Garry Lyon, Mike Sheahan, Grant Thomas, James Hird, Gerard Healy, Nathan Buckley, Dennis Cometti, Bruce McAvaney.
Don't forget Crawford. He hasn't stopped singing our praises almost to the extent of saying we're certainties to win the big one this year.

Unless of course you don't count him as part of the media. ;)
Too true, But wasn't somebody whinging that he was pumping us up as a means to breed overconfidence?

:roll:
vacuous space wrote:Media is good. Hype sells tickets, merchandise and memberships. Memberships mean money. Money means we can sign all the out of contract Victorians from GC17 in 2013...
Ding ding. Somebody gets how footy works.

"KICK IT UP THE BLOODY GUTS!"

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

That's what saints.com.au is for
Ahhh but for positive spin they aren't a patch on our namesakes at Southampton (saints.co.uk)... but considering they are finishing 2nd last, being demoted to League One, starting next season -10 after being fined..AND mighjt not exist anyway as their parent company is in the hands of Administrators..you might expect that

I reckon they've copywrited "however the first goal was clearly offside" lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
marksnsparks
Club Player

From the media's perspective there's only so much you can write about an in form team....pressure, frontal pressure, team spirit, Dal, Gards, Hayes, Gilbert playing well, jee what about that Dawson...keeping a lid on it, only round {insert round here}, it's a marathon, Geelong benchmark....

Bad news stories have always sold more than good news, there's more dirt to dig, more scoops to be had....

I like it how it is, I actually think we're getting a fair bit and it's all positive.

Last thing we want is players/coaches media commitments distracting them from the marathon (sorry) ahead.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Yep... the media needs stories. Player backgrounds, club showcases etc. Unfortunately all the Saints have is a mouthy ex-coach.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:Yep... the media needs stories. Player backgrounds, club showcases etc. Unfortunately all the Saints have is a mouthy ex-coach.
out of all our ex coaches like alves, blight, watson, sheldon. none have been as bad as thomas. even though most are in the media.

spert
Saintsational Legend

No need for much media as we are certain to win the flag -let the media concentrate on clubs in turmoil.

StSteven
Club Player

I don't understand this belief that the media should be as excited as the fans. In football terms we have done nothing. Many teams have won five-in-a-row. We even won 10 in a row. It means zip. We have not won a flag yet. We have broken no records (eg Geelong's 47 out of last 50 wins).

Our form is good, we are going along nicely BUT HELL why would you get excited and end up with egg on your face if it goes pear-shaped (eggs and pears!!!).

Keep on winning, win a flag then media will write about us as they do with their current darlings Geelong. But to be fair to them they have the "runs on the board" and can claim the right to be considered the best in the AFL. Even Luke B called them the "Tiger Woods of the AFL" on 1HD on Sunday.

Accolades will come with a flag. I would not want it any other way.

Duggie1
Club Player

noob wrote:do you think when we lose the headlines say something like the luck has ran out? or something that simply shows that we aren't as good as they think we are?
Or, if we win the Doggies will be described as listless or out of form. :lol:

Always a Saint
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If Geelong didnt have Ablett they would be getting far less publicity than us. Anyway we have had our fair share this week so I am not understanding what anyone is getting at. RL on 2 shows on the weekend. Bally on a show Monday night and Dal on a show the week before. We are not going to get as much news in the papers because bad news sells.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

important to remember that we last played on friday night so there are other issues that have come up (see fraser or richmond getting a win). Plus our next game is sunday night so no wonder they are focusing on sooner games.

no complaints here. I want the press to keep to chasing BC and finding out who will be the next ablett.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
sainter35
Club Player

saint66au wrote:

That's what saints.com.au is for
Ahhh but for positive spin they aren't a patch on our namesakes at Southampton (saints.co.uk)... but considering they are finishing 2nd last, being demoted to League One, starting next season -10 after being fined..AND mighjt not exist anyway as their parent company is in the hands of Administrators..you might expect that

I reckon they've copywrited "however the first goal was clearly offside" lol
Can you delete this off-topic post please Everton? :oops:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Fat chance.

League One will mean it's cheaper for fans to watch your team, at least. Our fans are looking at paying up to £1000 for a ticket to the FA Cup Final - I know I am.
Matt Oakley, ex-Southampton midfielder wrote:"Changing rooms are box sized, pitches aren't great and there are Tuesday nights away from home at cold and windy places like Hartlepool, so it is tough, but if you've got goal scorers in your side then you've always got a chance."
See, it's not all that bad. The Coca-Cola kid will score plenty down there I'm sure.

sainter35
Club Player

St Kilda are 5-0 and have a percentage of 211.83

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

sainter35 wrote:St Kilda are 5-0 and have a percentage of 211.83
And seemingly still little real respect from the 'experts' in the newspapers.

It would seem that the Chief football writers from both the Hun and the Oz feel WB's form this year is superior to ours?
I don't know about the Age as I haven't seen it.

I realize it's only their opinions, but I get the feeling that they don't actually believe we are as good as we appear to be?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The problem is a team playing good team football with no real stand out individuals is hard to decide what to write about.

When we beat a premiership contender or someone has an absolute break out game no one is going to pay much attention to hyping us up.

We embarrassed a few last season that had us pencilled in for the flag and no one wants to call too early on it.

Our only real story this season is Zac Dawson who is getting plenty of write ups because the hawks need a key defender and let him go for nothing.

axcellence
Club Player

I think it's lull b4 the storm... if we win by 30+ points against Bulldogs... the whole week it'll be Saints "premiership threat" :P