Game Plan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainters man
Club Player

Game Plan

Hey guys

I just need answers to what has changed since last year in our "game plan" and why are we playing so well?

I dont get to many games so i dont get a view of the whole ground. Is our game plan still the same? or has that changed? are we fitter? is the pressure whats causing our wins?

opinions?

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

The key differences that I can see, is that in the previous 2 seasons when we didnt have the ball we defended very deep, almost every player just fell back into our defensive 50 and waited for the opposition to move it in there.

This year we are defending much higher up the ground, we are crowding the midfield and forcing teams wide.

Another thing that has changed is we no longer corral opposition teams when they have the ball, we are now hunting them in packs forcing them to make quick decisions which prevent them from spotting up targets and allowing us to create turnovers and because we aren't defending so deep into the opposition 50, when we do cause the turnover we have players in attacking position who can take advantage whereas last season if we caused the turnover we had to hold the play up because everyone was behind the ball.

Loyal
Club Player

it's a young man's game and we are generally hungrier without harves.

rocksolid
Club Player

I mentioned to my son on Friday night watching the Saints is like watching U/12's, every player is within a kick and handpass from the footy so that when a turnover happens we have optins everywhere.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

I'm unsure if other teams have done this before, nor I'm I sure if we have, but one thing I am sure of is, no one has done what I'm about to say better than us, if I'm correct in my own take.

We all know about the "Rolling Zone" and how it talks about guarding space, rather than a player.

My take on our structure is very similar to an advanced system of a zone defense that is played in basketball.

It's called a match-up zone, you match up on the player in your area, should he leave your area, you should look to either switch, or hold your man if it's more sensible to do so.

I could be way off, but the benefits of a matchup zone is it confuses the opponent constantly and tends to make it easier to guard the better players, as they never know what's coming to them and the lesser players seem to get lost very quickly.

But.....as I said.....I could be way off.
Last edited by The Saintsational Man on Mon 27 Apr 2009 7:42pm, edited 2 times in total.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Loyal wrote:it's a young man's game and we are generally hungrier without harves.
Whoat a load of s***! Dimwit.

marksnsparks
Club Player

Loyal wrote:it's a young man's game and we are generally hungrier without harves.
Troll!!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

IN: Rolling zone, continuous ball movment
OUT: Strict one-on-one, tempo football

We've taken attack to a whole new level, IMO. We're consistenly winning the contested ball, we're physically smashing our opponents and we're consistently taking risks and moving the ball forward.

Most of the change though, I would say, is not gameplan related. It comes from a consistent effort and playing together as a team. The team is fit and building in confidence. I know I wouldn't want to play against us right now.

The scary thing is, I reckon there's still plenty of room for improvement!

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Beej
Saintsational Legend

I've posted this in another thread but this is a quote from Stevie Baker and is what I believe to be the catalyst to our form this year. Nothing to do with a drastic change in the game plan.
"The (frenzied pressure) just seems to be happening. It seems like the whole team is doing it these days and it's infectious.

"The boys do it in the forward line and it puts on such pressure, then the boys do it in the midfield, and then it flows through to the backs.

"You don't want to let your teammates down by not doing it."
We still have a defensive mindset but the massive difference between now and the beginning of 08, is that we're relentless in our pursuit of the man and the footy. It's all attitude and discipline.

Lyon has said something along the lines of, "with a defensive mindset, the attacking part of the game follows."

He means that if we're well drilled defensively we'll cause turnover after turnover resulting in goal after goal. Defending isn't only done at the back, forward pressure is defending from the front.

If Ross Lyon has improved an aspect of his coaching I think it's mostly preparation.

I'm sure you've heard Ross and a few of our players mention the word "reset" in interviews.

"Now we've got to reset and prepare for next week"

It's as if we're a machine at the moment. A well-oiled machine waiting to be reset and unleashed on the next side we come up against. :twisted:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: IN: Rolling zone, continuous ball movment
OUT: Strict one-on-one, tempo football !

We also are playing the rolling zone differently...as it also embraces a lot of one on one... a hybrid if you will.

Our forwards and wings flood back to zone...but core defenders often remain one on one.

If doing this we try and keep a defender free..ie Sam Fisher...
vacuous space wrote: We've taken attack to a whole new level, IMO. We're consistenly winning the contested ball, we're physically smashing our opponents and we're consistently taking risks and moving the ball forward.

Most of the change though, I would say, is not gameplan related. It comes from a consistent effort and playing together as a team. The team is fit and building in confidence. I know I wouldn't want to play against us right now.
The scary thing is, I reckon there's still plenty of room for improvement!
Your second point is the one I most agree with.

Workate and committment is the BIG reason we are thriving IMO..

You work hard,,,,and confidence builds..

You work hard...and the gameplan looks better becuse it is excecited better.

Our gameplan has been tweake yes.

But the BIG BIG change is attitude and dedication..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Loyal
Club Player

marksnsparks wrote:
Troll!!
coming from a muppet that's high praise, high praise indeed. if i weren't so offended you may have a point

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:We also are playing the rolling zone differently...as it also embraces a lot of one on one... a hybrid if you will.
I don't see much one-on-one at all. It's pretty much a clone of what Hawthorn do to teams when they're trying to rebound. Right down to charging at a player who's just taken a mark. The players move in waves across the centre of the field. The rebounding team gets pushed out wide and is forced to either switch or kick to a contest on the wing. Moving into the corridor is very difficult. By the time you get to our 50, if you get that far, you're confronted by a wall of players and an odd-numbered situation.

Originality is overrated. I'd say right now we're trying to be Sydney (at their peak) at a contest, Geelong or the Bulldogs when we move the ball and Hawthorn when our opponents have the ball. It's a copycat league and our coaches have done a great job of identifying what works and what doesn't and implementing it. It helps that they have a deep list of players to choose from with talent and commitment to the cause. The challenge will come when teams break down our gameplan and find faults to exploit.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

not sure I buy the whole "new Hawthorn rolling zone rip off" TBH.

Ive seen us play this way early in Lyons tenure - we are now executing it properly and amazingly putting on some fwd pressure.

I do think we are "frontal pressing" which sounds like something that happens in sydney lots during the mardi gras but hey.....its working...

oh and did I mention we now have a list capable, fit enough to do play this way?

“Yeah….nah””
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game Plan

sainters man wrote:Hey guys

I just need answers to what has changed since last year in our "game plan" and why are we playing so well?

I dont get to many games so i dont get a view of the whole ground. Is our game plan still the same? or has that changed? are we fitter? is the pressure whats causing our wins?

opinions?
brace yaself..........