structure without kosi, king

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

structure without kosi, king

we're some chance of being without both next sunday.

kosi no doubt will be busting a gut to prove himself fit, but whoever heard of a one-week hamstring? king wasn't able to play the second half on friday and most probably will miss.

so my question is, if both do miss who comes in and why?

we picked a running side to deal with the wet and windy conditions in adelaide on friday, but this match will be under the roof at the dome.

so do we go in with a couple of big blokes like mcevoy and goose or do we bring in raph or x for more run? or do we bring in our best performed reserve and restructure accordingly?

last season the bulldogs burst our bubble in round 3 when they ran us off our feet, but we are much improved and the form side in the competition.

the goals dried up a bit in the second half on friday without a second goal-kicking marking target like kosi (though gwilt was okay). king being injured also robbed us of a bit of midfield dominance, some thought.

we do have restructure option such as bringing in raph and using gilbert or bj forward.

thoughts?
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 26 Apr 2009 1:16am, edited 7 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: structure without kosi, king

bigcarl wrote:

thoughts?
I think Kosi will be playing.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: structure without kosi, king

according to the sunday herald sun he's no sure thing.

mick13
Club Player

McEvoy will have to come in I reckon, if King misses.

Can't leave it all up to Gardiner, and unless we want Blake to play second ruckman...

But the Dogs are a running side, so maybe bringing in...Armo!

rexy
SS Life Member

Mc Evoys big chance to come in as second ruck and get some touches IMO, A big job against Hudson and Minson I know, but it will be good for him. Much rather see him come in as a ruckman than a forward. Also means that both rucks can kick a goal.

Maybe this year?
sasaint
Club Player

Playing the Doggies will be yet another big test. I expect we will be without Kosi and King, both automatic selections if available, but in their absence and if he has a respectable game in the VFL, then McEvoy should come in. Keep an eye on the game on Sunday and if McEvoy is pulled from the game after half time I think that will be a strong signal. The other change that might be considered is to have Either Raph or X come in for Eddy. His game was OK, and his stamina is great but I think that he missed a few targets and having that X factor from either of the Clarke's would be special and hopefully stretch the Dogs.

Looking forward to following the VFL game on the net tomorrow morning my time. :D

Patience young grasshopper
Solar
Saintsational Legend

if kosi misses then bic mac comes in

otherwise out eddy in raph and gilbo goes forward

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

King might be right to play next Sunday.

The Saints were in such a good position that when King pulled up with a tight hammy they kept him on the bench rather than risk aggravating it.

Kosi and Max both a chance to return too.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 53716.html

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
and Max both a chance to return too.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 53716.html
Max may play next week, but I would be amazed if Max does not come back via Sandi.

Current backline is delivering, Max has not really hada pre-season, has 5 rounds...and Lyon and the players all say spots are gained by adherence team values rather than reputation.

happy feet
Club Player

Max

As much as I respect and rate Max highly as a great player and clubman, would you bring him in given the fact our backline is rock solid at present? I think Max might struggle to win his position back. What do others think?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Max

happy feet wrote:As much as I respect and rate Max highly as a great player and clubman, would you bring him in given the fact our backline is rock solid at present? I think Max might struggle to win his position back. What do others think?
I just think he needs match practice.

Dawson has been very good for us. But Max is still an elite player.

However Dawson may not be the one to make way. It could be Gwilt. Whover it is will be stiff as te whole team is contributiing....but Max in form is better.

However so as to not diruspt our current demonstrated team ethos...it is vital that Max eran his spot back and not just slide in on reputation.

In addition the next two weeks are very importnat to us...so they are not games to have someone running around that is too rusty.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 26 Apr 2009 1:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Will McDonald's become a club sponsor if we play BIG MAC.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Saintersss
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
happy feet wrote:As much as I respect and rate Max highly as a great player and clubman, would you bring him in given the fact our backline is rock solid at present? I think Max might struggle to win his position back. What do others think?
I just think he needs match practice.

Dawson has been very good for us. But Max is still an elite player.

However Dawson may not be the one to make way. It could be Gwilt. Whover it is will be stiff as te whole team is contributiing....but Max in form is better.

However so as to not diruspt our current demonstrated team ethos...it is vital that Max eran his spot back and not just slide in on reputation.

In addition the next two weeks are very importnat to us...so they are not games to have someone running around that is too rusty.
I don't think we can afford to have 3 players (Blake, Dawson, Max) who only negate, we need some run in there, so Max will most likely only come in for Dawson.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:

I don't think we can afford to have 3 players (Blake, Dawson, Max) who only negate, we need some run in there, so Max will most likely only come in for Dawson.
While as I posted it is most likely that Max will come in for Dawson..it is not the only option.

I think you need to look at your opponents each week.
gainst the Dogs you would not want all 3.

But against say the Pies such a structure would work well IMO..

Dawson on Rocca for the re-match!!!!!!!!!!!

Max on Cloke

Blake to take Fraser when he runs forward.

with our backline at present we are not playing justa back 6....but have our mids and HFs drop back as well.

For run Sam is freed up...plus there is Gram, Ray and Gilbert...all capable of a gallop.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Against the Dogs, i think Mcevoy should come in. and keep in eddy as an extra runner

stinger
Saintsational Legend

ross has said time and time again.....so if raph pulls up okay after today's game he is a certainty to return next sunday night.......i suspect if king doesn't come up ...then it will be jason into the ruck and raph down back.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

The fact that we don't play until Sunday evening gives Kosi every chance to return.

As for bringing Max back in - I heard Ross mention in one of his press conferences that given that Max is a champion player of the club that he will sit down with Max when he is fit and they'll discuss whether Max feels he needs to come back via the VFL or not.

IMO it would be silly to take the risk of rushing Max back for the bulldogs game...against a team with only one (make-shift) power forward in Minson.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Oddly, I am untroubled if both are absent.

Having just watched Carlton dismantle the Dogs without so much as getting their jumpers dirty (was there a single WB player with a grass stain?) my view of Rock Hudson and Will Minson as a couple of slow, underskilled, and pretty hopelessly out of form plodders has been set in stone. Blake, Gardiner and McEvoy (the latter two to drift forward as needed) will cover them more than adequately. If anything - and I say this without arrogance because I think it's a fact - if Kos and King were not to play, perhaps they picked a reasonably good week...

I am really looking forward to our defensive pressure stifling the woof woofs. If we can maintain the rage - no reason why not - we could really go a long way to destroying their season.

The Dogs seem to have lost their bite. They were much vaunted at an in and under level last year. This year there seems to be a lot of outside lurking going on. Dare I say it, they strike me as a bit soft. Turn up to play like that next week and on form we will absolutely ruin them.

Saints off a nine day break and a return to the Dome c**k-a-hoop and without a hoodoo on back and with rested legs... Be afraid puppies, I say...They'd wanna turn up ready...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Oddly, I am untroubled if both are absent.

Having just watched Carlton dismantle the Dogs without so much as getting their jumpers dirty (was there a single WB player with a grass stain?) my view of Rock Hudson and Will Minson as a couple of slow, underskilled, and pretty hopelessly out of form plodders has been set in stone. Blake, Gardiner and McEvoy (the latter two to drift forward as needed) will cover them more than adequately. If anything - and I say this without arrogance because I think it's a fact - if Kos and King were not to play, perhaps they picked a reasonably good week...

I am really looking forward to our defensive pressure stifling the woof woofs. If we can maintain the rage - no reason why not - we could really go a long way to destroying their season.

The Dogs seem to have lost their bite. They were much vaunted at an in and under level last year. This year there seems to be a lot of outside lurking going on. Dare I say it, they strike me as a bit soft. Turn up to play like that next week and on form we will absolutely ruin them.

Saints off a nine day break and a return to the Dome c**k-a-hoop and without a hoodoo on back and with rested legs... Be afraid puppies, I say...They'd wanna turn up ready...
Yep, agree.

Even before Footscray's pathetic "effort" against Carlton, I thought we smash their grubby faces into the turf next Sunday.

Minimum 60 point hiding - 80 points if we are on our game like usual.

They are crap, no point pretending otherwise.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Oddly, I am untroubled if both are absent.

The same reason you give for King and Kosi to miss, iks the same one I would love to see McEvoy have a crack. Might be a nice way to ease in.

I think every time either of the two giants miss in the ruck, McEvoy needs to play to gain experience in the real deal in case he is required at the pointy end.

If King or Kosi miss Mc Evoy comes in for mine along with Raph.

If both available in comes Kosi & Raph.

This leaves McQualter and possibly Eddy as the unlucky ones IMO.

We need a tall forward line and strong rucks against the Doggies, they cannot play against it.

This is one week Max could miss and play 1/2 to 3/4 in a ressies game to gain some touch, ready for the Pies and Rocca.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Indeed and agreed, Maverick. Games like this are ripe for McEvoy. Hope his Sandy form carries over and he has a pearler.

Absolutely no way McQualter will miss. He had an outstanding game on Friday night.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

You can read all my other posts in regards to the doggies, I think they are over-rated especially after watching us play them in the pre-season.

In saying that though, we would be silly to ignore a few facts.

*They did travel to WA twice, we could belittle this fact but it could have contributed to their peformance against Carlton

*They have some big names to return, and some players that have returned that could easily hit some form this week.

*They are still a top four side IMO

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

rexy wrote:Mc Evoys big chance to come in as second ruck and get some touches IMO, A big job against Hudson and Minson I know, but it will be good for him. Much rather see him come in as a ruckman than a forward. Also means that both rucks can kick a goal.
Big job against Hudson, but Minson I'm not so sure about.

Over rated as a player and as a person (Think the comments to Kane Cornes).

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Saints94
SS Life Member

Bring in Xavier for King, Kosi to play, in for Mini................

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Why would you drop Mini? Pace?

Gee, he'd be a bit stiff after some pretty good performances...