Bring on Dogs......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bring on Dogs......

IMHO there can be NO questions left on our legitimacy IF we roll them comfortably (wont be a walk over..).

Honestly, I do not fear any other side at present - hawks included.

I just really want to be in this form, fit with no injuries when we hit Geelong....please footy gods let it be so......Im even daring to think this side CAN pressure the Cats high posession game enough........

I need a drink and a calm down...I have considerable man-love for Ross Lyon atm and its scaring me...

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

Geelong is our real comp. The rest we should beat. The Hawks won the flag last year IMO because of their coach ... technically he won ... but now he can't do it because of catch up ... he is now back to square one with a very good team.

But the cats are the real deal (they are not relying on tactics and moves).

I hope that over the next 2 years it is us against the cats like the swans against west coast.

Lets hope we go 2 nil because I also think we are the real deal.

mick13
Club Player

Actually even when we do beat them by 43 points, everyone will say they had a bad day...

Do we care, nooope. :)

Looking forward to a lot of teams having bad days against us. :)

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Oi, Shaggy, the Cats should have made it about moves and tactics in September last year - to not do so cost 'em back to back flags.

But, they didn't and they got exposed. I note some hollow bound whizfella said this week they'll be as good as Brisbane (i.e. 3 in a row). Frogshit. They got picked off last year 'cos their front end's poor. Lonergan? Stokes? Mooney? Ottens in to the open sticks?

They copped their right whack - too smart by half.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Shaggy
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote:Oi, Shaggy, the Cats should have made it about moves and tactics in September last year - to not do so cost 'em back to back flags.

But, they didn't and they got exposed. I note some hollow bound whizfella said this week they'll be as good as Brisbane (i.e. 3 in a row). Frogshit. They got picked off last year 'cos their front end's poor. Lonergan? Stokes? Mooney? Ottens in to the open sticks?

They copped their right whack - too smart by half.
I agree with that. But the cats are back again this year and thats my point ...

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Their midfield's back, but the rest are there for the picking. Their front end weakness persists (that's why they're giving Hawkins free run), Ottens is missing (and let's not forget Ottens is a 10 year AFL footballer who's had one good year). Blake is a lightweight, Milburn frightens no-one, Scarlett's ripe, Harley's in the stand, Ling's legs are betraying him, if Johnston keeps going to ground as easily he'll be fertilised, Bartel's brain dead (just watch last year's GF and see how to ineffectively kick short every time you get the pill).

We went into last year's finals with no Ball or Baker - our 2 hard ball winners.

They're ripe and we can harvest.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Beej
Saintsational Legend

I've been looking ahead and thinking about Geelong.

While our pressure and pressing will cause a lot of teams to play like Port Adelaide did last night, I still believe we lack that polish and are prone to errors with our disposal.

I don't see the Cats making the same errors by foot or hand or as many of them.

Make no mistake, we were awesome last night, but to beat Geelong we need to play near perfect footy.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Cant freaking wait!!

The self-confessed free-wheeling scoring machine that is the Doggies up against the tackling kings of the Universe that is the Saints in 2009

Dunno what the highest ever attendance is for a Sunday Twlight game..but next week will give it a nudge!!!

Get there early!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

OLB wrote:I've been looking ahead and thinking about Geelong.

While our pressure and pressing will cause a lot of teams to play like Port Adelaide did last night, I still believe we lack that polish and are prone to errors with our disposal.

Make no mistake, we were awesome last night, but to beat Geelong we need to play near perfect footy.
I will probably get hung for saying this, but I think you're over-rating Geelong. They will be just as vulnerable to pressure as anyone, even if they respond better than most.

But I agree, the Saints' challenge will be to play well when in possession. I'm looking forward to round 14.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

i have seen a couple of geelong games this year and the cats are just going at the moment- saints would smack them if they played next week.

They will build up by the time we meet them and they are a very good team, but they are error riddled and not perfect either, they just make second and third efforts and pressure better than whoever they play- sound familiar.

The saints looked half a second behind in every contest against geelong last year, but this season something has clicked with the saints.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
OLB wrote:I've been looking ahead and thinking about Geelong.

I will probably get hung for saying this, but I think you're over-rating Geelong. They will be just as vulnerable to pressure as anyone, even if they respond better than most.

But I agree, the Saints' challenge will be to play well when in possession. I'm looking forward to round 14.
Unless they've fallen so far from their form of the last two years, I don't think I'm overrating them at all.

They're still the bench mark.

I wish we were playing them next weekend while we're in this kind of mood.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

OLB wrote:Unless they've fallen so far from their form of the last two years, I don't think I'm overrating them at all.

They're still the bench mark.

I wish we were playing them next weekend while we're in this kind of mood.
They probably haven't dropped at all. But Blind Freddie can see the Saints have stepped up.

I'm deeply suspicious about the mythology that surrounds the Cats. They're not gods. They were ordinary not so long ago.