Gwilt Vs Goddard - Who is the better kick?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Gwilt Vs Goddard - Who is the better kick?

Its been widely accepted that BJ is the best kick at the club and one of the best kicks in the comp, but after watching Jimmy Gwilt this year I would have to say that comparing both of them on their preferred foot, Gwilt is probabably a more penetrating kick and maybe even more accurate.

The 60 metre short pass to Gards on Saturday was unbelievable. The thing that separates them is BJ's ability use use his opposite foot whereas Gwilt, liuke all good lefty's only uses his opposite leg to prevent him from falling over!

savatage
SS Life Member

Re: Gwilt Vs Goddard - Who is the better kick?

BringBackMadDog wrote:Its been widely accepted that BJ is the best kick at the club and one of the best kicks in the comp, but after watching Jimmy Gwilt this year I would have to say that comparing both of them on their preferred foot, Gwilt is probabably a more penetrating kick and maybe even more accurate.

The 60 metre short pass to Gards on Saturday was unbelievable. The thing that separates them is BJ's ability use use his opposite foot whereas Gwilt, liuke all good lefty's only uses his opposite leg to prevent him from falling over!
If Jimmy had the football brain, then he could be in the elite bracket. He has the skill level & body type - it's just the football brain. You either got it or you don't!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

great question...

i think BJ is a better kick to position.. he can float the ball and deftly lob it as well as hit a target from 60m... However Gwilt has devastating penetration in his kicks... Like TS40's worm burners, only effective...

On the whole i'd say BJ is a better kick, but maybe my judgement is clouded as he is a far superior all round player... Close call....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gwilt's a beautiful kick and a good, tough competitor, too.

not sure that he has bj's goalkicking nous though. that's something you're born with.

savatage
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote: Like TS40's worm burners, only effective...
Ahh, good ol' Wool!

Loyal
Club Player

thats the thing isnt it.
i just want to see jimmy crush a can of coke with his skull so that i know he is hard.

noblejohn
Club Player

Thought this thread was on who was the better kick , not a vehicle for once again putting the boots into one of our players. Leave the kid alone as he is coming along nicely and despite players lining up to get into the team he is still retaining his position in the starting 22.
Back to topic. From a set kick i'd go for BJ. On the run I'd back James but its close

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long
savatage
SS Life Member

noblejohn wrote:Thought this thread was on who was the better kick , not a vehicle for once again putting the boots into one of our players. Leave the kid alone as he is coming along nicely and despite players lining up to get into the team he is still retaining his position in the starting 22.
I don't think anyone in this thread has disputed that! Jimmy has been a beautiful kick. The Noble boy is doing everyone proud I would've thought.

noblejohn
Club Player

esp us noble supporters

savatage
SS Life Member

noblejohn wrote:esp us noble supporters
Also us not too far away from Noble :)

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I must say that the very fact that we are discussing in the same breath the skills of a #63 draft pick with a limited prior football background with those of a junior champion who was #1 in a strong draft year speaks volumes for how well Mr Gwilt is going ATM.
Last edited by meher baba on Tue 21 Apr 2009 1:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
noblejohn
Club Player

And a good win over vermont. go bulls

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="BringBackMadDog"]Its
Gwilt, like all good lefty's only uses his opposite leg to prevent him from falling over![/quote]

I use both legs for the same purpose that Gwilt uses his right but I still fall over sometimes.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
savatage
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:I must say that the very fact that we are discussing in the same breath the skills of a #63 draft pick with a limited prior football background with those of a junior champion who was #1 in a strong draft year speaks volumes for how well Mr Gwilt is going ATM.
Correctamundo.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Gwilt's bette ron his left and Goddard's better on his right 8-)

What's with Gwilt's brain? Reckon he's going great on all fronts this year. Competing, running, tackling, smashing packs, kicking well, doing well in an under, too, for a bigger frame.

What, pray tell, is he doing wrong in the 'smarts' department?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:What's with Gwilt's brain? Reckon he's going great on all fronts this year. Competing, running, tackling, smashing packs, kicking well, doing well in an under, too, for a bigger frame.

There's been a longstanding mindset among some posters on here that Gwilt is an "athlete" but not a "footballer", whatever that means exactly.

This has always struck me as a ridiculous assessment of a player who, from the first time he pulled on a RW&B jumper, looked to have terrific disposal skills by hand and foot.

Once the "Gwilt sceptics" realised that the guy has better skills with ball in hand than about 3/4 of our list, they switched from the "athlete" tag to the "has footy skills but not footy smarts" line.

Some of it comes from being impatient with players who use the full time available to them to work out who is free to receive the ball (as opposed to the "bomb it and hope" approach favoured by some regulars in our top 22).

I also fear that some of the view that Gwilt lacks a "footy brain" comes from a darker part of the human psyche: but I (and others like joffaboy who share this view) always get attacked when I suggest this, so I will say nothing further.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
savatage
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:I reckon Gwilt's bette ron his left and Goddard's better on his right 8-)

What's with Gwilt's brain? Reckon he's going great on all fronts this year. Competing, running, tackling, smashing packs, kicking well, doing well in an under, too, for a bigger frame.

There are times when he hangs back when he should go. It's just little things - some things that players do instinctively that others don't do.

With Jimmy - his problem at the start was definitely intensity at the contest. That area has improved over the last 2 seasons quite noticeably. There is still some way to go IMO in this regard.

What he has started to do is throw the body in a lot better in the last season as well - he's using his frame to advantage more than he did in the past. All this plus team confidence is bringing the best out of him.

It's not like I'm bagging him. I just made the reference to footy brain as a comparison to Goddard. In that regard I consider BJ ahead.
Last edited by savatage on Tue 21 Apr 2009 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I'm hearin' ya, Meher Baba.

I'm only a fairly irregular visitor here (relatively), but it never ceases to amaze me how disappointed some people seem to get when the targets of their vitriol improve and/or evolve ... It's almost like they just can't let go.

Gwilt is a player, alright. I am getting a great deal of satisfaction watching him contribute to the team.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
There's been a longstanding mindset among some posters on here that Gwilt is an "athlete" but not a "footballer", whatever that means exactly.

This has always struck me as a ridiculous assessment of a player who, from the first time he pulled on a RW&B jumper, looked to have terrific disposal skills by hand and foot.

It may be a matter of terminology..

I do not know about others...but when I refer to footballer vs athlete...I am referring solely to their football judgement....not their skill levels.

"Atlhete's" often have very fine skills.

IMO Troy and Gwilt are both gifted athletes wanted/want to be good footballers.

Improving their fooball judgement will be/was the make or breakpoint of their AFL careers.

McGough as an example was a "footballer"...with very poor kicking skills and a lack of pace. He was not able to imprive his skills enough to survive despite being a ball-magnet with the ability to rack up huge disposal numbers.

Fiora was a "footballer" and "athelete"...but who lacked "workrate" and "self-belief".

Rare is the player who scores highly in every area...and many players still succeed with flaws.

However all players have aspects that they need to improve.

With Gwilt it is his ability to "read" and anticipate the play.

With CJ it is for example now primarily his kicking....

With Dal it his workrate (if he keeps up his 2009 level he will be top 10 in the AFL..and most likely top 5).
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 21 Apr 2009 1:50pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Goddard for me. Being able to kick well on both has always been a big thing with me and will always win out over someone no matter how well they can kick on one.

Nothing frustrates me more than a highly talented player in trouble looking helpless, desperately trying to get around onto his prefered side.
It highlights a real weakness.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bj....

i dont see gwilt hitting targets on the run as much as i see bj do it....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What makeas a good kick...is not just the kick itself either...it is the judgement in how the ball is kicked to the player.

For example Harvey wasa master of delivering the ball to a point in time...and not just toa spot. This is what made him at the end of his career the best "passer" in the AFL.

this is whay at present for mine that BJ is a the better kick.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

With Gwilt it is his ability to "read" and anticipate the play.
The good news is you can teach a guy to read the play and this will also come from game time and experience but I dont think you can teach someone to kick like Gwilt, that is a natural gift.
Once he gets 50 games under his belt and works on his fitness he will be a fantastic player for us for years to come.

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="bigcarl"]gwilt's a beautiful kick and a good, tough competitor, too.

not sure that he has bj's goalkicking nous though. that's something you're born with.[/quote]

I know what you mean Carl, I was born with it, I just never learnt to kick properly. :wink:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
yipper
SS Life Member

Both exceptional on their preferred foot. BJ can use both feet at equal levels however. Gwilt is primarily one sided. If the question also includes under pressure - then Goddard is elite. He can kick superbly either foot even under intense pressure. But Gwilt is living proof of how a player can improve over time if he works hard. He is proving himself to be a very good player now.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.