Matchups v Port

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Matchups v Port

Make no mistake - Port have got a pretty damn talented list, and many dangerous players that will need to be curtailed if we're gonna have a shot of winning the game!

This is what I would go with:

Gilbert on Motlop: Motlop is their most dangerous player, when he's on song and snags a few, Port rarely lose. He's mercurial. Gilbert is a similar size and build, and has the pace and aerial ability to go with him. IMO he is the logical first choice.

Dawson on Tredrea: Assuming that Max will not be playing, and Goose is still not match-fit enough, I think we have to be prepared to play Zac on him. Chips' defensive run is too valuable, and he won't be able to that as effectively if asked to play on Tredrea. Tredders seems back to his old self in the last couple of weeks, but Dawson showed against Bazza that he can match it with the big, strong forwards.

Blake on C Cornes: Make no mistake, this bloke can absolutely dominate a match. Arrogant, smug prick, yes, and I hate him as much as the next bloke, but purely as a footballer, I respect him immensely. He is given very much a free role to drift forward and back whenever he likes, and Blake is the right match up has he has the height and ability to go with him, as well as the tank when Chad is playing through the middle.

Kane Cornes on Dal: The more likeable yet less damaging Cornes will go to Dal IMO. and Dal will be in for a difficult night if this happens. Kornes has the ability to shut down a gun player, whislt racking up 25-30 touches himself. Dall will really have to push hard and run hard to try and shake the tag, and will need to get a few blocks from his teammates to create some space.

Baker on Ebert: This bloke is a tricky little player - he can lead, and mark strongly for a smaller size, and has a bit of pace. I reckon Bakes should get first crack to try and throw him off his game. Bakes is deceptively quick, and not bad at getting a spoil in, so seems a pretty natural match up for mine.

CJ on P Burgoyne: This will be a very big test for CJ. I think he could go to either Burgoyne, but more likely to go to Peter, as he has been in tremendous form before his suspension last round. Burgoyne always tends to play well at AAMI, and has a knack of finding space, and making everything look so easy. Port try to use him alot (and Krakoeur) when running it out through half back, so CJ will need to be wary of this and stick close.

Carlile on Riewoldt: Not sure whether Carlile or Chaplin will get the gig here, but considering Carlile played on Franklin last week, I'd guess that he'd get first go at our#1 forward in Roo. If Roo runs all day, like we all know he is capable of, he should have too big a tank for Carlile, who seems to be more at home sticking inside his defensive 50.

McQualter on Krakoeur: Krakoeur has been quite impressive as a running half back flanker so far this year - Port always try and get it in his hands when coming out of the backline, and you could liken him to a "quarterback". I think it would be a good idea to give Mini a defensive forward role, to really create some pressure so there is no easy ball coming out of the backline. Mini also has the knack of kicking an odd goal, so Krakoeur will be forced to play accountably as well.

Thoughts?

The Saints are coming!
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

CJ on P Burgoyne:
Peter Burgoyne not playing - suspended
I'd say Shaun Burgoyne instead

bigred
Saintsational Legend

65+ Tackles please. Must go into this game with that mindset.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:
CJ on P Burgoyne:
Peter Burgoyne not playing - suspended
I'd say Shaun Burgoyne instead
I read somewhere this morning that Shaun Burgoyne has an ankle and will be tested. Expect him to play but wouldn't that be a bonus.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see CJ up against Salopek ...

But it appears that Bernard Shakey has suggested that seeing we beat Port in a practice match and we have nothing to fear this week.

So match ups and possible inclusions are mute

:roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
jay young
Club Player

I live 2 mins from ports home ground if any spying needs doing let us know ill let you know if s burgoyne will play and anyone else whos iffy this game will tell us were we are at cause lets face it we havent played noone yet

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

bigred wrote:65+ Tackles please. Must go into this game with that mindset.
Agree. That's the one part of our game that will really throw Port out. Pressure, pressure and some more pressure. And when we tackle, hit them HARD. We have to play this way so we can intimidate other teams -and force them into mistakes!

The Saints are coming!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Matchups v Port

True Blue Sainter wrote:
This is what I would go with:

Gilbert on Motlop: Motlop is their most dangerous player, when he's on song and snags a few, Port rarely lose. He's mercurial. Gilbert is a similar size and build, and has the pace and aerial ability to go with him. IMO he is the logical first choice.

[b]AGREE[/b]

Dawson on Tredrea: Assuming that Max will not be playing, and Goose is still not match-fit enough, I think we have to be prepared to play Zac on him. Chips' defensive run is too valuable, and he won't be able to that as effectively if asked to play on Tredrea. Tredders seems back to his old self in the last couple of weeks, but Dawson showed against Bazza that he can match it with the big, strong forwards.

AGREE but a liitle worried, Tredrea is in good nick and super confident

Blake on C Cornes: Make no mistake, this bloke can absolutely dominate a match. Arrogant, smug prick, yes, and I hate him as much as the next bloke, but purely as a footballer, I respect him immensely. He is given very much a free role to drift forward and back whenever he likes, and Blake is the right match up has he has the height and ability to go with him, as well as the tank when Chad is playing through the middle.

AGREE very good match up and hopefully Blake can sneak a couple of goals if Cornes drifts into our backline.

Kane Cornes on Dal: The more likeable yet less damaging Cornes will go to Dal IMO. and Dal will be in for a difficult night if this happens. Kornes has the ability to shut down a gun player, whislt racking up 25-30 touches himself. Dall will really have to push hard and run hard to try and shake the tag, and will need to get a few blocks from his teammates to create some space.

AGREE unfortunately we don't get a choice here and will be Dal's first big test of his new work rate and defensive abilities because Cornes does hurt the opposition with the ball. Hopefully Dal can take him inside our 50 if he's not shaking him in the middle.

Baker on Ebert: This bloke is a tricky little player - he can lead, and mark strongly for a smaller size, and has a bit of pace. I reckon Bakes should get first crack to try and throw him off his game. Bakes is deceptively quick, and not bad at getting a spoil in, so seems a pretty natural match up for mine.

DISAGREE Even though Ebert is not in the best form he still plays the role of a leading target very well. Leave Baker loose in the backline and play S. Fisher on him. That way if Sam takes off Baker can cover.

Carlile on Riewoldt: Not sure whether Carlile or Chaplin will get the gig here, but considering Carlile played on Franklin last week, I'd guess that he'd get first go at our#1 forward in Roo. If Roo runs all day, like we all know he is capable of, he should have too big a tank for Carlile, who seems to be more at home sticking inside his defensive 50.

AGREE but once again, no choice here.

McQualter on Krakoeur: Krakoeur has been quite impressive as a running half back flanker so far this year - Port always try and get it in his hands when coming out of the backline, and you could liken him to a "quarterback". I think it would be a good idea to give Mini a defensive forward role, to really create some pressure so there is no easy ball coming out of the backline. Mini also has the knack of kicking an odd goal, so Krakoeur will be forced to play accountably as well.

AGREE Krakouer is in very good form and in P. Burgoyne's absence is even more important in setting them up across half back.

Thoughts?
CJ on Rodan, as demonstrated last week-end, Rodan is a barometer for them. The other option is to put CJ on Pearce.

Play Goddard on S. Burgoyne and make Burgoyne accountable for a man.

Have Ray pick up Salopek and go one on one...would be a great battle.

Looking forward to this game, will be completely different to the Crows game so let's hope we can break our Port hoodoo.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

baker on k cornes
or better still
josh carr...just so he can give him one :twisted:

dawson on tredders

StPeter
Club Player

If I remember correctly St Fidelius, Port beat us comfortably by over 60

in a practice game this pre-season.

Considering our past record against them, I think we have plenty to fear

and will have to play at our best.
Last edited by StPeter on Mon 20 Apr 2009 7:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote:Considering our past record against them, I think we
have plenty to fear and will have to play at our best.
absolutely. they've been a bogey team for years.

speaking of which, does anyone know when was the last time we beat them over there? i can remember us beating them only once in about the past five years.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

we have never won here (sa) against port in the home and away seasons

not sure about pre season cup games etc

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:we have never won here (sa) against port in the home and away seasons

Hmmm - why was i jumping up and down cheering (amongst all the port members) the saints at aami to the minor premiership in 97?

But we have been their bunnies there and in tassie (thank god we left - i'd rather wins on the board than money in the bank - one will lead to the other).
Perhaps they are motivated because we cost them 8th spot in that 97 game - then to rub salt in the wound we let the crows beat us in the GF!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Matchups v Port

True Blue Sainter wrote:Gilbert on Motlop: Motlop is their most dangerous player, when he's on song and snags a few, Port rarely lose. He's mercurial. Gilbert is a similar size and build, and has the pace and aerial ability to go with him. IMO he is the logical first choice.
I was a bit surprised to read this - similar size and build? 194 versus 185 cms, perhaps Motlop scares a few into thinking he's taller than he really is...

older saint
SS Life Member

Beating Port is about pressure and tackling hard. They have a number of players who are front runners ( and very good ones at that). Make it hard and physical, take away their time and space and they will struggle

Tredrea - Leave our structure as is and where he goes determines the match up. If CHF S Fisher on him and hurt him running off, if FF then Dawson .

Salopek and Ray good match up .

CJ on S Burgoyne if playing. Class players of their team neeeds to be locked down.

Chad Cornes - depends where he played but Blake and option, if forward, if midfield then go head to head with him and hayes.
Key here is if Roo gets going he may have to go back, if so win for us.

Agree re DalSanto -lets see if he reallyhas turned the corner or not, would be great to see this work.

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:we have never won here (sa) against port in the home and away seasons

Round 22 1997
Port Adel 3.3 7.8 9.11 12.12 (84)
St Kilda 2.1 8.1 11.5 17.15 (117)
GOALS: Port Adel: M.Wilson 2, B.Lade 2, S.Cummings 2, N.Eagleton 2, S.Breuer, J.Francou, D.Dickie, M.Primus
St Kilda: J.Heatley 5, P.Everitt 2, A.Thompson 2, A.Jones 2, S.Loewe 2, T.Brown, R.Keogh, J.Traianidis, N.Winmar
Crowd: 38,589 at AAMI Stadium on Sunday, 31st August

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Tredrea is a whinging nuff nuff when it's not coming in.

We tackle like we know we can and we play AAMI like we know we can and Tredrea will hardly get a touch becasue Port won't get the ball.

Gilbert on Motlop is a tasty prospect. A mercurial superstar on a ruthlessly determined and athletic up and comer. Great match up I reckon.

Surely our back half run will worry Port?

And I reckon we have their mids covered. Ball, Jones, Hayes defensive clinch work is second to none at the moment.

It's all about tackling like bastards and setting ourselves to prove the point that we can and will stand up against quality opposition away from the rarified air of the Jihad Stadium.

Adelaide was one thing, Port another.

Win this and we'll send a MASSIVE message.

Must win two of next three...All would be nice, but two's a minimum.

I want top spot.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

hehe

moist

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Mr X from the West
Club Player

It is written into our Constitution that we must lose to Port when we play them in Adelaide.

I expect the same result again on Friday night.

Looking forward to playing the Bulldogs. :wink:

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
boneless23
Club Player

We need to match up Robbie Gray also. He was very good against Hawthorn last week and provided a better lead up small forward option than Ebert. He is great overhead for a small bloke and has off the mark speed which could worry some of our defenders.

After watching them first hand on Saturday afternoon, the key to beating Port is placing massive pressure on the ball carrier which is something that we have been fantastic at so far this year. Port pierced Clarko's cluster with relative ease so I think its the man on man pressure that will negate the influence of blokes like Pearce, Salopek, S. Burgoyne, Rodan and Krakouer much more than a zone.

Port have put together a number of quality key backs in Carlisle, Chaplin and Pettigrew so I think it will be the midfield and small forward pressure that will give us a winning score. With this in mind, I would resist bringing in a Lynch, McEvoy type to replace Kosi and opt more for someone like X to expose their lack of quick accountable backs.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

boneless23 wrote:We need to match up Robbie Gray also.
I'd put Baker on him. Gray is much more of a ground level player than Ebert. Ebert is small, but he's more of a Medhurst-type leading, marking forward. I would rather play someone like Fisher or Gilbert on him who will really test him the other way. I'd actually back Dawson against Motlop if he's playing deep. Blake or Fisher on Tredrea. Jones to take Shaun Burgoyne if he plays. I wouldn't be tagging Salopek or Krakouer just yet, but I'd be keeping an eye on them. Put somebody on Chad Cornes who will hurt them the other way.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
stkfc1
Club Player

DEAN Brogan says Port Adelaide must use its shock upset of premier Hawthorn as its blueprint for the rest of the season.

"We just have to bring that type of effort, tackling and chasing to the table every week," the Power ruckman said.

"If we do, we can mix it with the best of them."

Brogan joined coach Mark Williams in rating the Power's five-goal win against Hawthorn at the MCG without midfielders Dom Cassisi and Peter and Shaun Burgoyne as arguably the best home-and-away win in its AFL history.

"It's a massive win for the footy club, not just for our team but for our supporters," Brogan said.

"To come to Melbourne and beat the premier under adversity with so many of our top players out should really set us up for the rest of the year."

But Brogan stressed the victory highlighted the difference a change in mindset can make.

"Sitting in the stands against West Coast three weeks ago we didn't look like we'd come ready to play and we got smashed," he said.

"We know we've got talent. We believe in our game style and everything that we do, but you must come with the right attitude."

Brogan praised the intensity and pressure applied by lesser lights Tom Logan, Matt Thomas, David Rodan and rookie Hamish Hartlett.

They will come out breathing fire and we have to be ready for it.

On the other hand last week the played Box Hill, this week.... :twisted:

saintly
Saintsational Legend

who will take the place of kosi?

tom lynch? mcevoy? or maguire?

Megamaguire
Club Player

Port on way up

Watching port on the tv replay right now and they look beautifully melded as a team. I expect them to reach top 4 which is a bit more conservative than malevolent blight who has them reaching the G.F. !
Anyway the port just had the necessary mental attitude from the first qrt. to the last qrt and stuck to it AWAY from home. The geewrong faithful reckon we haven't played a good team yet this year and by implication don't deserve the view and luxury of looking down on them this week.
Well if the players keep applying the Rossi school of football on match day i think we will at least match the port in inside 50s and shots at goal.

Love to see us out gun them on the scoreboard.

Let it rip Saints!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.