Farren Ray So Far So Good

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

Farren Ray So Far So Good

I think Farren Ray would be in our best ten players this so far this year a great pick up for the club

trevor barker
ace
Saintsational Legend

OK I was wrong.

I thought he would be another marginal player like Fiora and Birss.

But he is a class above both of them.
A very good addition to the club.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Seems to be out to prove a point and fits nicely into our game plan.

I thought he was considered a bit soft at the bulldogs?

Haven't seen anything that would make me think that so far.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Made comment to a Bulldogs mate about how on Earth they could let him go, as he's firing with us.

The return comment was that their "fans" called him Apple, as in apple turnover, and to wait til the going gets tough.

Personally, I'm on the Fray train.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Has been going alright - has sticky fingers......clearly does NOT like to kick and looks to HB at every opportunity......and because of this can run himself into trouble........must trust his foot.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ray has barely hit 23...so is hitting his prime.

At 70 odd games...at 187cm with pace and run...he has been a great aquistion for us..and can play either asa mid...ora runner of half back.

So far his athleticism has been treat with some great reach marks taken.

About the only fault so far is a tendency sometimes to just kick long when he does not see an option immediately and unfortunately so far this has tended to be an easy gather by the opposition backs. This has been rare though..but may be what the Dogs fans are referring too.

But so far so good with us...and given his age I am sure he will mature at get better.

Interesting too that Joey is just 26 and hitting career best form.

Looking at the Cats:

Selwood 21
Bartel 25
Gablett 25
Jelly 25
Corey 27
Ling 28
Chapman 27

2 years back as a unit they really started to fire.
Selowwod is the main one who excelled early on.
Gablett was good..but realtive to his potential wasa much lesser player than he is now.

Saints:

BJ 24
Gram 25
CJ 25
Dal 25
Ball 25
Hayes 29

Plus

Armo 21
Geary 21
Mini 23
Ray 23

So as a midfield unit our players are in the main reaching their prime years.

Ray has added another option. y having more options our overworked midfield ofa couple of years back is now able to share the load witha broader group.

(note I have rounded all ages up or down)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
backit
Club Player

Article in The Australian yesterday on Farren Ray

Second-chance Saint Farren Ray strives for consistency

FARREN Ray had an unusual yet understandable request at the completion of an interview this week about his sizzling start as a Saint.

Traded to St Kilda in October, the former Bulldog is giving every indication the move across the West Gate Bridge will prove successful.

The Saints top the ladder with an unbeaten start to the season and Ray, importantly given previous concerns about his game, seems to have added consistency to his hard running.

He is averaging a career-high 22 disposals but the most impressive addition to his game is his tackling. He has laid five a match so far for the Saints, more than double the average in his 75 games as a Dog.

What is yet to be shed, though, is headlines playing on his surname. Ray of light? Could the headline writers give that a rest, the Saint pleaded. Ray of sunshine? It was old the first time he read it. "Every time there's a story about me in the paper, it's something like that and I cop a bit of s*** from my mates about it," he said.

The 23-year-old formed half of the Bulldogs dream draft when he was selected fourth overall in 2003, just three spots behind that year's dux, Adam Cooney.

The two were viewed as a potential driving force that would help the club challenge for its second premiership.

The duo combined for almost 190 games in five seasons at the Bulldogs -- a return that would delight any recruiting officer -- but by the end of last year the two midfielders were in vastly different mindsets.

As Cooney celebrated winning the Brownlow Medal just days after the Bulldogs performed credibly against Geelong in the preliminary final, Ray was pondering his future after being dropped for the last two finals at the end of a troubled season that began with injury problems and finished with a couple of critical skill errors against Hawthorn. Ray, who grew up in the coastal city of Mandurah, about an hour's drive south of Perth, was at a low point, but one former acquaintance was very keen to pursue the midfielder should he become available, according to St Kilda coach Ross Lyon.

Football operations manager Matthew Drain "knew him intimately", Lyon said following the Saints' come-from-behind win over Sydney to start the season.

"We targeted Farren and our list managers helped bring him and highlight him. He earned his stripes tonight. In saying that, you've got to do it week in, week out, but he certainly gave the run that we're looking to bring into the club."

Like most players, Ray started with the ambition of being a one-club stalwart and said his ties to the Bulldogs and former teammates added to the difficulty in deciding on a move.

"I remember sitting there the week after the season thinking, 'Do I? Don't I'?, but I had a chat with my manager and we thought that St Kilda was a pretty good fit," he said.

"It's not like I thought I would walk into the side, because they have such a talented midfield, but I thought that a fresh challenge might help me."

Although he was only moving across Melbourne, Ray said he knew just one Saint well on his arrival at the club, but living with two school friends from Mandurah, one an on-air talent with radio station MMM and the other a footballer with East Brighton, eased the stress of leaving his close mates at Whitten Oval.

"It's just good to have an outlet away from the footy club, though Cam (Butterly) is right into his footy, so he'll often do some extra beach work with me, or have a casual kick or something," Ray said.

"But because we've all known each other since high school, they'll get into me if I've played a bad game or done something stupid, but it's working well."

Although St Kilda seemed a "pretty good fit" in October, getting a regular game there seemed no easier than at the Bulldogs.

Cooney, Ryan Griffen and Daniel Cross were the top Dogs at Whitten Oval, but the Saints' hardened brigade features Lenny Hayes, Luke Ball and Nick Dal Santo. Even so, Ray has proved a quality acquisition to date because of his running and line-breaking ability.

The trick, Ray said, is to maintain his form in his second chance at league football, with tonight's game against Fremantle at Etihad Stadium a challenge for both he and the Saints despite the visitors' dismal start to the season.

"We are just starting to establish ourselves as a top-four side and we are striving for Geelong," Ray said. "Everyone is, because they are the benchmark, and Geelong just, not smashes, but gets the job done every week no matter who the opponent is, and we have put a big emphasis on that this week. We won't take the foot off the accelerator."

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

really impressed overhead..could he be a fwd option at some stage if needed?

I know Dogs fans and they have ALL said any talk of 'courage' is cr@p with Ray - has no trouble putting his head over it and did so again this week.

really astute addition to a list that Nettlefold on radio pre game admitted that the club had decided to make "strategic changes" to....

Its early days but if Ray can continue....Eade /Dogs may rue that one..

“Yeah….nah””
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Ray looks like he could be a very solid player. He seems to know his role as a running HBF/winger and seems to be more consistent with us.

Disposal isn't elite, but is much improved on his days with the Bulldogs, although as others point out, he seems to be too willing to handball, and doesn't trust his kicking enough! Other doubts on decision making seem to be unwarranted, IMO I can only recall 3-4 times over the first month where he made a bad decision. Not bad considering how much of the ball he's been getting!

Very useful addition to the side! Seems to be a very astute pick up!

Onya Farren, keep it up mate!

The Saints are coming!
SaintWodonga
Club Player

I was not too happy giving away our number 2 pick for him.

However, I was wrong. Not only is he doing a great job, but he (and with Baker being back) has allowed BJ and Gram to placed in ore attacking positions.

Ray is still young so we can get plenty of footy from him.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I had a rather jaded opinion.

I thought we were replacing Fiora with another Fiora.

He has been a good pick up for us, not just from his own output, but from the sheer value he has given allowing other players move into other positions.

Cant fault him atm....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
savatage
SS Life Member

Running machine!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

He's brilliant overhead...

Out of all our midfield/running players he is by far the best mark.... Can become a real weapon for him...

saintlee
Club Player

I'm very happy with him, has done the job beautifully so far, hope he can keep it up against tougher opposition...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

love him and hes only 23. plenty of up-side.
only left dogs cos they have 20 players like him - shame they took so long to recruit some decent talls though.

yipper
SS Life Member

For such a lightly built fella, he has no fear at all. Very courageous player. Has a an excellent tackling technique and a good engine. Been a very astute pick-up. He is working hard both ways.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.