next Week is our big test

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

next Week is our big test

Next week is where we will find out how much we have improved.
Port have been a bogey side for us, they have monstered us for so long that we do have a mental problem with them.

If we come out and beat them, and beat them in the same way we beat Adelaide at AAMI, then we can all let a little steam escape from the pressure that is currently building under the lid.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintly_safes
Club Player

Probably the quickest team in the AFL & playing in enemy territory would normally have me worried but all they need to do is keep playing as they have & the rest will take care of its self

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

geelong has won something like 12 in a row on the road, so we've got a way to go to match them for dominance. agree with the OP. it's a big test.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

pressure can stop Ports run. Pressure and tackling.

Time we knocked over the hoodoo.

“Yeah….nah””
Buckets
SS Life Member

A very big test! This game IMO will shape the 1st half of the season! They have literally had the wood over us for too long time to turn the tables and as Teflon said apply the pressure. Port have shown that when the pressure is applied they dont run and carry the ball effectively.
On the otherhand you just never know what Port will come out! One week they can account for Hawthorn while others they can get flogged by West Coast :oops: :oops:

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Weather will be an important factor, so far prediction is for 21 and a few showers.

We don't want a howling gale where the game can be decided by the toss of the coin.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

The other factor in our favour this time around is that we now have our own two big ruckman to challenge Lade & Brogan. They have intimidated us too much in the past.

They have also punished us more with their mid-sized players (e.g. Ebert) than Treadrea being much of a dominant factor.

This will be our "Acid Test" to see how much we have improved over 2008. I'll be impressed if we win.

HarveysDeciple

Port fast and super slick, a lot of quick forwards who have always been a massive problem for us.

Losing Kozi(probably) is a huge blow, reduces one of our strengths a bit, our power forwards and strength.

Our tackling pressure as everyone knows has been outstanding, if we bring that we can crack the power.
They are a bit soft and vulnerable to constant tackling pressure.
It will show me how much we have improved. If we travel to aami and get belted by 7 or 8 goals yet again by this team then I'll be very dissapointed.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

what I am worried about is that the team respects port too much. It will all come down to mental toughness. We need a tackle count over 70 to win this coming week. Intensity boys!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
starsign
Club Player

our current high pressure game built on relentless tackles with the 22 contributing in this regard will bring it home for us! Hoodoo schmoodo ,they may have had the wood on us in the past, but they haven't met this Saints unit yet!

and agreed they wont be bullying /intimidating us from the ruck department either!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:geelong has won something like 12 in a row on the road, so we've got a way to go to match them for dominance. agree with the OP. it's a big test.
EXACTLY RIGHT, Geelong can do it, the Saints must bring their "A" game and prove themselves in the same class.

I just saw an ad on channel seven for Friday Night's game, it's billed as the ANZAC day special. Port Power versus... "THE RED HOT SAINTS"...

I think the lid might be off...

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Looking at the long range forecast.... showers and wind.
How often have we played Port in wet slippery conditions,quite a lot.
Everyone says it's there pace against us, but more often the case they just maul us in every aspect,with physicality the top of the list.

Goose in to FF in the wet, someone to smack the packs. Probably little chance of it happening,but an idea

Bring back the Lockett era
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
bigcarl wrote:geelong has won something like 12 in a row on the road, so we've got a way to go to match them for dominance. agree with the OP. it's a big test.
EXACTLY RIGHT, Geelong can do it, the Saints must bring their "A" game and prove themselves in the same class.
ross should hammer that point home to the players. if we're going to be better than the cats we need to be able to win on the road like them.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

jonesy wrote:Looking at the long range forecast.... showers and wind.
How often have we played Port in wet slippery conditions,quite a lot.
Everyone says it's there pace against us, but more often the case they just maul us in every aspect,with physicality the top of the list.

Goose in to FF in the wet, someone to smack the packs. Probably little chance of it happening,but an idea
Exactly the same sort of conditions we faced over there in round 5 last year. Remember? Suffered a 3 goal blowout in the first quarter and conditions were too slick to reel it back in.

The match review is worth a read: http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfmatc ... 38435.html

God how I remember that game. We were watching it from the pub (in St Kilda, no less), and some solitary blow-in Power supporter was cheering his team on at the top of his lungs. Obnoxious doesn't even begin to describe it. I really despised Port for awhile afterwards - a nasty, spiteful, thuggish pack with ferals for supporters, I thought of them. Even towards the end of the year when they were losing 2 out of 3 and had bugger-all to play for, they still managed to find some rare form just to gazump Adelaide's finals chances in their home-ground derby.