Who is our most improved player this year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Who is our most improved player this year?

I am trying to work out who is the most improved player this year- it seems everyone has lifted but in no particular order I have:

N.D.S. gone to the next level leads a few player of the year lists.
Mc Qualter -consistently good tagger who kicks the odd goal.
montagna- quiet achiever keeps running and doing what he is meant to now every week.
Kosi- looks like what we hoped he'd be.
Geary- looks like he deserves his spot.
Gwilt- much maligned but is doing a job and can move around the field to plug holes.
Dawson- looks like an AFL player now in one of the positions that you get found out quickly.
Gardiner- thats why we kept him.

And we haven't seen Steven, Eddy, McEvoy, L.Fisher all who we keep hearing have been tearing up the preseason.

Who would you add and who is your most improved?

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Maybe Clint Jones. Played a magnificent game last week. He is a goer, a trier, and he never gives up. That really impresses me. I can't believe how he has tansformed himself into an elite tagger.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

I think you have missed out one

Sammy Gilbert

he looks like he could become an elite player and has this year become our key player out of defence

I think he is almost outshining the other Sammy

matrix
Saintsational Legend

gilbert
i watched him in three of last years games yesterday while putting them on to discs (hawks game, crows game for harves tribute and the pies game where we lost).
i also watched the nab cup game up nth against the lions from this year.
he was good in all games, did those few things that really mattered at the time...
but so far in three games, id be as worried if we lost gilbs the same amount as if we lost chips or joey for eg.

the kids a great player and has the potential to be a top gun,
good spotting to those who knew from the start and had seen him play some junior footy and called it early.

so yeah...PISS off GC team.......he aint going home 8-)

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CJ - bless his "The Stork" kicking style - the guy is heading to be a stopper of the highest class - see Bakes - and with Bakes released to tear up the midfield we no longer need to wait with bated breath as Bally throws himself in.

Never underestimate the value of the 2nd tier player who does the role for a 1st tier player - essentially through Bakes - CJ has become an in and under tough nut!

Aside from that - His scalps - McVeigh, McLeod, Kerr - could we ask for any more!

He is our Most improved - especially having come from nowhere last year. We all knew Kosi, Monty and Dal had class - CJ was written off.

I wer his number with pride!

BELIEVE OR BURN

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I agree Gilbert and Cj- I forgot them, should have been on the list as both would go close to most improved.

Gilbo showed heaps last year as well but has shown a new level of poise and doesn't seem to get caught holding the ball and is a really good sweeper and can move the ball quickly into attack.

CJ has been a good tagger and looks to have made himself a quality player.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I agree Gilbert and Cj- I forgot them, should have been on the list as both would go close to most improved.

Gilbo showed heaps last year as well but has shown a new level of poise and doesn't seem to get caught holding the ball and is a really good sweeper and can move the ball quickly into attack.

CJ has been a good tagger and looks to have made himself a quality player.
CJ and Gilbo are the list - maybe with a nod to Gwilt and McQualter - all the rest had talent they were just underperforming - straight improvement has come from these four

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Geary has improved the most from round 1 to now.... Which is expected as he is the sides youngest player with the least experience...

Over the off season, the most improved player IMO is Jimmy Gwilt... Ive always been a fan of his, but this year he seems much more assured and is using his body strength much more... Also playing to his strengths.... Great to see...

Always rated Gilbo very very high, so its not surprise or drastic improvement to see him deliver now... Just natural progression....

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Gilbo and Monty

\Monty has improved his workrate and added another dimension to his game (tackling) has been outstanding same as Dal Santo from last year it's great to see as it was lacking

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

the very good thing is that the answer is not clear...simply because so many have stepped up a cog.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbob
SS Life Member

Missed the most important Ross Lyon, by far our most improved!!!

Followed by the 3 G's Gilbert, Gardiner, and Geary

Jones' rates highly as well

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Id say gilbo

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Marcus1232
Club Player

The ones that have really stood out for me have been..

CJ
Gilbo
I think BJ has lifted another cog
and Kosi

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I reckon Goddards lifted his game to another level, as well as Dal Santo.
Kosi, Cj, Montagna, Geary and Gardiner seem to have improved significantly enough to see an impact. People like Fisher, Milne, King seem to be having their usual solid/very good imput.

Though i think Sam Gilbert has improved the most. He is doing everything he has sdone previously, just with more consistancy and better. Also see him taking quite a few more grabs in the backline, he just looks extremely confident in his ability. Great player for a pick 33.

Carpe Diem
saintly_safes
Club Player

NDS by a country mile.He has always had the talent & now he is starting to show the heart

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

I'd say it would be out of....Gardi and C.J.

Badlands
Club Player

Definitely Sam Gilbert i.m.o.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
stkfc1
Club Player

St Kilda football club. 8-) :roll:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

As a player Gilbert

as a performer as compared to last year.....probably Gardiner...CJ is progressing better now he has a better role, where his limitations do not hurt...

People saying Joey, Dal, Goddard

Do you realise

Joey has had two top 6 B&F finishes including a RU in 2007 and led the AFL in kicks in 2008......he has been VG for three years at least

Dal has been in the top 4 for Hard Ball Gets, Clearances and tackles 4 out of the last 5 years, has been top 4 in the B&F 4 times..he has been a GUN since late 2003

Goddard finished top 5 in the B&F in 2006, would have been in the top 3 until he injured his knee in 2007, coming back from a reco he finished 7th in the B&F in 2008 - he will probably win it, or come second this year....more natural progression (experience) rather than footy improvement......remember he was rated as the best 18yo in the country....so you could say that he is just realising his potential.

saintly_safes
Club Player

NDS was magnificent again tonight

eppo67
Club Player

Gilbert=Gun.

Saints have done well out of my QAFL team Southport Sharks.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

CJ - Using his abilities and knowing his limitations - average to great
Gilbert - Confidence and good kicking skills - good to great
Joey - Gone up an extra level - great to elite.
Dal - Consistency (so far) - good to elite
Kosi - Confidence, fitness. - good to great
Baker - Injuries - good to gooder.

All of the above have improved, but CJ will have to take the cake. In 2008 he was getting a lot of possessions, but his offensive impact on the game was very low. He has concentrated on using his skills (pace, hardness) to improve his defensive game, and this has given him the confidence to use the ball in a more attacking manner.