After Round 7.....we will know where we are at.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well first test passed...next one in the Doggies coming up.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ThomasR
Club Player

Very nervous about tomorrow.. hope X going down today isn't an omen and don't think Kosi will play.. but looking at the month we have after round 7.. Essendon, Brisbane (home), Melbourne, North - none of them exactly setting the world on fire at the moment

taking it one week at a time and bound to lose one unexpectedly at some stage but get through the next couple and 11-0 is not totally out of the question! and even then it's Carlton who I still don't rate, and then Richmond........... ah what am I doing, bring on the Dogs

touching lots of wood right now.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

win today and 6-1 is looking very good

interesting that if we win today there will be 12 points difference between 1st and 4th already.

hawks are a worry as they will get players back but will this effect then later in the season?

don't rate carlton, no backline will be found out

I would almost suggest that by round 11 the top 3 might be settled.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
hawks are a worry as they will get players back but will this effect then later in the season?

Depends what you mean by later in the season...

First objective is to finish Top 4...and so far we are looking good.

An improving Hawks should not greatly affect our ability to finish Top 4.

Top 4 = 6 in the mix

Cats = yes

Saints = very likely and a definite yes if we knock of the Dogs today.

Hawks = yes ( I would expect them to improve as the season progresses, even if they do not reach last years form)

Dogs = Maybe. Are not close to last years form at present...but are clearly capable of playing better.

Port Adelaide = strongest of interstate clubs and may sneak into the 4. Need to finish above to ensure we do not play fisrt week of the finals interstate.

Blues = could slip in if Dogs and Pies continue to play below their 2008 form. Lack ofa backline wil hurt them in the finals...but may do enough to place well in the 8 from the home and away.

Swans, North and Crows all slipping to allow the Blues to go above them if they are good enough.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Solar wrote:

Depends what you mean by later in the season...

First objective is to finish Top 4...and so far we are looking good.

An improving Hawks should not greatly affect our ability to finish Top 4.

Top 4 = 6 in the mix

Cats = yes

Saints = very likely and a definite yes if we knock of the Dogs today.

Hawks = yes ( I would expect them to improve as the season progresses, even if they do not reach last years form)

Dogs = Maybe. Are not close to last years form at present...but are clearly capable of playing better.

Port Adelaide = strongest of interstate clubs and may sneak into the 4. Need to finish above to ensure we do not play fisrt week of the finals interstate.

Blues = could slip in if Dogs and Pies continue to play below their 2008 form. Lack ofa backline wil hurt them in the finals...but may do enough to place well in the 8 from the home and away.

Swans, North and Crows all slipping to allow the Blues to go above them if they are good enough.
I gues I was thinking out loud about how injuries during pre-season and early parts of the season can effect your output come finals time. Your always playing catch up.

The hawks can hurt you with their forward lne but their defensive zone is not there currently because of players being out.

robert campbell at fullback underlines this.

agree with most of what you say. carlton might do a saints of '08 and slip into 4th.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dogs beaten..

One test to go (out of the first 7 games that is).

Bit Top 4 is looking very likely at present...and top 2 is there for te taking if we keep up our relentlessness.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

so where are we at?!

7 zip that's where!!

#1 Ryder fan
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote:great OP agree 210%

i reckon we are looking at 7-0
Give the boy a wowwypop

7-0 and 208.20% - loyal was only 1.80% off - I know he was ust saying he agrees 210% but it is funny if you take that post in isolation

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:so where are we at?!

7 zip that's where!!
Wel the Pies was not as big a test with their having more outs than ours (though King, Max, Dempster etc should not be ignored)...

But where are we at?

* Alsmost certainly bound for a Top 4 spot.....with a very good chance to snag Top 2.

* Playing much better more confident football that where we we finised last year on.

* While we have lost Harvey...we have gained compared to the end of 2008:
*****Ray: playing very good football in Top 6 category
*****Zac as a capable Full Back
***** M Gardiner now fully fit and playing good football
*****Geary has stepped up to AFL level
*****Gwilt is now looking capable of being an AFL player

PLUS
* McQualter became a regular last year, but is now playing better football.
* Gilbert has stepped up displaying AA form.
* CJ has stepped up and has become a much better decision maker.
* Eddy is a handy runner.

So even with the retirement of Harvey and injuries to Dempster and X, our pool of available AFL level players is much better.

Teamwise the players are gelling much better with exuction and work rate much better. Hence tackling is through the roof...and there is always a Saint or two backing up his team-mate. There are always Saints on the move when we have the bal..creating space and passing oppourtnities.

And if the path way is blocked, the saints wil work furiously to create a new way forward.

Can the Saints maintain it? Well that is what the reaminder of the season will show...but the signs are very good. However unfortunately the signs are also very good for Cats who have more runs on the board.