Moorabbin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Munga wrote:For someone out of the loop living in Adelaide, can anyone give me a summary of what's happened with our home base? Where are we moving to, or are we staying at Moorabbin?
Officially we are moving from Moorabbin to Seaford in 2010.

Barks4Eva, CaseyScorp and Loyal, the poor deluded beings, will tell you differently...

Loyal
Club Player

ace wrote:ALL THIS FUSS OVER SO LITTLE

An indoor sports hall = basketball court
A wet area recovery = wading pool
A gym = a gym
A boardroom = players & coaches meeting room
A football oval
Doctor, strapper and allied health rooms
Administrative offices
Parking 100 spaces

This could be built anywhere that has an oval with a bit of spare land for the building in one corner.
hmm yeah .. anywhere like *cough* "Moorabbin" *cough*

GrumpyOne

Loyal wrote:
ace wrote:ALL THIS FUSS OVER SO LITTLE

An indoor sports hall = basketball court
A wet area recovery = wading pool
A gym = a gym
A boardroom = players & coaches meeting room
A football oval
Doctor, strapper and allied health rooms
Administrative offices
Parking 100 spaces

This could be built anywhere that has an oval with a bit of spare land for the building in one corner.
hmm yeah .. anywhere like *cough* "Moorabbin" *cough*
But for the council. :roll:

Now far *cough*

Loyal
Club Player

and what would you know about kingston council GO? seriously..?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

What is Kingston council's current position on moving the poker machines to the corner of South Rd and Linton St? Can't stay unless they agree to it, which they won't.

Loyal
Club Player

time will tell remboy it has more to do with the state government's position on gaming than it does to do with KC's position on gaming.

GrumpyOne

Loyal wrote:and what would you know about kingston council GO? seriously..?
I have intelligence, education, and the ability to read.

What have you got?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
Loyal wrote:and what would you know about kingston council GO? seriously..?
I have intelligence, education, and the ability to read.

What have you got?
Cmon Grumpy... ease off... It's unfair for you to have a battle of wits with an umarmed person! :lol: :lol: :lol:

marksnsparks
Club Player

Seriously, what is the friggin fuss about Morrabbin?

Let's face it our spiritual home is rapidly becoming that scrap of docklands with a funny name that changes every two weeks. How many Saints supporters actually go out to Morabbin on a regular basis anyway? I go once a year to the intra club game, order my membership and merchandise online. Seaford would be more convenient.

I assume the same bleating was probably heard when we moved from Junction Oval in 1965?

Similarly, there will be an outcry in 2065 when we move from our spiritual home in Seaford to our new state of the art facilities in Moe.

Home bases are transitory and only hold affection for a couple of generations. It's a business now and the important thing is catchment area and revenue.

I would have thought the outcry would have been more when we moved from playing at Morrabbin?

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

marksnsparks wrote:Seriously, what is the friggin fuss about Morrabbin?

Let's face it our spiritual home is rapidly becoming that scrap of docklands with a funny name that changes every two weeks. How many Saints supporters actually go out to Morabbin on a regular basis anyway? I go once a year to the intra club game, order my membership and merchandise online. Seaford would be more convenient.

I assume the same bleating was probably heard when we moved from Junction Oval in 1965?

Similarly, there will be an outcry in 2065 when we move from our spiritual home in Seaford to our new state of the art facilities in Moe.

Home bases are transitory and only hold affection for a couple of generations. It's a business now and the important thing is catchment area and revenue.

I would have thought the outcry would have been more when we moved from playing at Morrabbin?
Surprised to hear you actually made it to Morrabbin... I can find the danged place in my Melways!

marksnsparks
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
marksnsparks wrote:Seriously, what is the friggin fuss about Morrabbin?

Surprised to hear you actually made it to Morrabbin... I can find the danged place in my Melways!
There another reason to move on, I can write Seaford without having to think about the friggin spelling!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

seriously loyal you knowledge on the topic is seriously lacking

The council is the first port of call when it comes to permits and the gaming commision will always take on the local councils view when it comes to where pokie machines can be placed.

The council screwed the saints over by not only being uncommital officially that the saints could move their current number of pokie machines (whose increased income was the basis for a large loan to fun the re-development) they also made it aparent that they would look at pushing for less pokies at the moorabin venue. This was flying in the face of their approval of the sandbelt's application to increase their net total of pokie machines (they are actually found just down south rd from moorabin).

Add this to the total disregard for the club from certain councillors (can anyone forget the tree planting in the local "parkland" in the old moorabin car park. If this is native bushland then the MCG carpark is a botanical garden :roll:

Both the council and club are happy for the st kilda football club to leave moorabin. End of story

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Loyal
Club Player

How did North do it?
How did Geelong and Hawthorn do it?
North have not ever had money and yet they have arguably a good facility at Arden St.

Why are we in a position to not be able to afford redeveloping Moorabbin?
Why should there be any reluctancy to develop a site at Moorbabbin?

Why when Moorabbin is now a quality site should we move?
.. Why?
Why would we even consider Seaford? Because of a shakey agreement that we have with Frankston City Council?
.. Why?
Why can't we afford to negotiate our position with the newly elected members of Kingston City Council?
.. Why?
Why when Moorabbin is a quality surface would we consider a move to the backblocks of Seaford?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

For good or bad the decision has been made move one it's not changing.

We could again go into detail as to why but it doesn't matter the decision has been made, done and dusted we are not styaing at Moorrabin

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Loyal wrote:How did North do it?
North have not ever had money and yet they have arguably a good facility at Arden St.

.. Why?
Why would we even consider Seaford? Because of a shakey agreement that we have with Frankston City Council?
.. Why?
Why can't we afford to negotiate our position with the newly elected members of Kingston City Council?
.. Why?
Why when Moorabbin is a quality surface would we consider a move to the backblocks of Seaford?
Hawthorn didn't do it or are they still at Glenferrie?
Norths options were Arden St or Gold Coast.
Geelong operate what is now a highly profitable stadium, in Victoria's largest regional city.

Moorabbin isn't a quality site, if we weren't already there the club probably would never have considered building its new training and administration base there.

What shaky agreement with Frankston? When the proposed development of Frankston Park was going to be facing massive budgetary blow out they found us a suitable alternate site and transferred their funding directly to it.

Kingston had been screwing around with the club for years.

saintlee
Club Player

Ice Wolf wrote:
Loyal wrote:How did North do it?

.. Why?
.. Why?
.. Why?
Hawthorn didn't do it or are they still at Glenferrie?
Norths options were Arden St or Gold Coast.
Geelong operate what is now a highly profitable stadium, in Victoria's largest regional city.

Moorabbin isn't a quality site, if we weren't already there the club probably would never have considered building its new training and administration base there.

What shaky agreement with Frankston? When the proposed development of Frankston Park was going to be facing massive budgetary blow out they found us a suitable alternate site and transferred their funding directly to it.

Kingston had been screwing around with the club for years.
Don't waste your time Icewolf, logical and factual arguement clearly has no effect on Loyal....he clearly has no clue what he's talking about

Loyal
Club Player

Hawthorn are at Waverley mate and waverley is a quality site. They've been there for years. Glenferrie was our Junction Oval.
North have not ever been elite financially yet now have an elite facility at Arden St. Why cant we?
Why do we need to move further from the city to have an elite facility?
Moorabbin has one thing going for it that Seaford never will - a quality training track.

why do we need to move to seaford to have an elite facility?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

loyal

geelong and the hawks are completely different... comparing apples and oranges

The tigers and north are good examples

Both were able to get a high amount of funding through the state and local government. Both local govts. were very happy to not only fund but make easier the develops.

The saints on the other hand faced a local govt. very anti this development. (see my post above)

Where is the extra 5+ million going to come from loyal, plus why put in a development

nah bugger it I promise I wont bother with this debate any longer.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigred
Saintsational Legend

North dont have. Nor have they ever had, a state of the art facility at Arden street. Or anywhere for that matter.

They have been running via portable buildings for the past five years.

They are currently building a new facility on the Arden street site...It is a few months into construction.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Ice Wolf
Club Player

Loyal wrote:Hawthorn are at Waverley mate and waverley is a quality site. They've been there for years. Glenferrie was our Junction Oval.
North have not ever been elite financially yet now have an elite facility at Arden St. Why cant we?
Why do we need to move further from the city to have an elite facility?
Moorabbin has one thing going for it that Seaford never will - a quality training track.

why do we need to move to seaford to have an elite facility?
Waverley is a quality site now, when Hawthorn moved there it wasn't (in fact i believe the area was a s*** hole in the rain belt).
Moving to the Frankston area increases the club footprint as the BaySide Club, it stretches the clubs area, from the St Kilda to the peninsula.
Why will Seaford never be a quality training track?

No1_Saint
Club Player

The Club will see out it's 40 year lease left on Linton Street as it will seek keep it's Social Club there.

It will be interesting to see what happens to that in the near future.

I posted a question about the progress on the new base and was given the following response:

"Hi and thanks for your question.

Our Elite Training Facility in Seaford is coming along nicely. The plans have been approved, we are currently finalising the design with Stratcorp, our Project Consultant and we expect to put these plans out to tender within the next two to three weeks. The funding package from the AFL, Frankston City Council and Victorian State Government is in place and we are on target for a mid 2010 delivery.

Go Saints!
Michael"

Can anyone give any concrete evidence...like a press release or statement from Michael contrary to the above statement?

Loyal
Club Player

thank you for a straight answer Ice Wolf.
the reason i feel BP will not ever be a quality surface is that the surface there is rubbish. clearly it would need to be re-done. one just feels that there is not the potential for a quality surface at BP.

bigred which is precisely why i am using NMFC as an example. how are they managing to afford such a construction?

Solar, punt road is a dump that they share with cricketers in the pre-season and their onfield play suggests suchly. i would think that it would be dramatically more affordable to develop Moorabbin than it would to start at roughly the same place with BP. which is to say that to develop linton street would be cheaper than to develop BP.

Loyal
Club Player

No1_Saint wrote:The Club will see out it's 40 year lease left on Linton Street as it will seek keep it's Social Club there.

It will be interesting to see what happens to that in the near future.

I posted a question about the progress on the new base and was given the following response:

"Hi and thanks for your question.

Our Elite Training Facility in Seaford is coming along nicely. The plans have been approved, we are currently finalising the design with Stratcorp, our Project Consultant and we expect to put these plans out to tender within the next two to three weeks. The funding package from the AFL, Frankston City Council and Victorian State Government is in place and we are on target for a mid 2010 delivery.

Go Saints!
Michael"

Can anyone give any concrete evidence...like a press release or statement from Michael contrary to the above statement?
not a sod has been turned at BP/seaford

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Waverley is a quality site now, when Hawthorn moved there it wasn't (in fact i believe the area was a s*** hole in the rain belt).
Moving to the Frankston area increases the club footprint as the BaySide Club, it stretches the clubs area, from the St Kilda to the peninsula.
Why will Seaford never be a quality training track?
Um...

I live about a three minute walk from the ground..

And if its in a rain belt.....could have fooled me. Bigger load of horseapples you will never hear.

The whole site was a reserve that the AFL bought for nothing way back.

It is still being developed into a reasonably high density housing estate. Nice place actually.

For interstaters, Hawthorn stayed on, keeping tennancy in the old members stand there. It is the only bit left standing from the stadium. Bit of an eyesore to be honest. Their facilities are absolutely top notch though. Seriously good. I use their gym...it is state of the art.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....