Extra day no big plus for Saints: Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

|Andy|
Club Player

Extra day no big plus for Saints: Lyon

[quote]ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon has dismissed suggestions from Fremantle counterpart Mark Harvey that the Saints are at an advantage because of a longer break leading in to this week’s clash.

Harvey raised concerns after Sunday’s loss to Adelaide that Fremantle would have a shorter break between games than their opponents for the third week in a row.

The Saints played West Coast at Docklands on Saturday afternoon, while Fremantle took on Adelaide at Subiaco the following day. This Saturday’s match will be at Docklands.

Lyon said the difference in preparation was minimal.

“It’s 24 hours. When you drill into it, they’ve had seven-day preparations. I think their opposition (so far) has had the advantage of a day so let’s be really clear on that,â€
Last edited by |Andy| on Tue 14 Apr 2009 4:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintDebi
Club Player

Love the way Mark Harvey started by saying "I'm not trying to make excuses, but...."
Sound like an excuse to me. Boo hoo :cry:

Marcus1232
Club Player

this is true sounds like hes pre-empting the carnage of this Saturday night

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

In a way I feel sorry for Harvey. He inherited a pretty shoddy mob and all. But geez he does himself no favours publicly. Very defensive, first to say 'it's not an excuse, BUT' etc etc...

Question is: Harvey or Wallace? Who will go first?

Marcus1232
Club Player

i think wallace will go first

yipper
SS Life Member

Marcus1232 wrote:this is true sounds like hes pre-empting the carnage of this Saturday night
Yes, hardly an encouraging message to his players when he starts making an excuse up before the game!! I'd want my coach to be on the front foot with a positive attitude heading into a game against a red-hot opponent.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Thinline wrote:In a way I feel sorry for Harvey. He inherited a pretty shoddy mob and all. But geez he does himself no favours publicly. Very defensive, first to say 'it's not an excuse, BUT' etc etc...

Question is: Harvey or Wallace? Who will go first?
Wallace. All the people running Freo are inept too.

|Andy|
Club Player

haha yeh, and he keeps repeating that it's not an excuse. And when he's asked whether he'll address it directly with the AFL, he looks very uncertain when he answers "yeh eventually we will
, not like someone who actually believes that the lack of break is actually a problem.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Mark Harvey is a joke

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Marcus1232
Club Player

He doesn't do anything to help his cause thats for sure

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Suck it up Harvey. we copped 6 day breaks for last few years -11 in one year 2006?

carnasaints55
Club Player

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure how a 6 day break is really that different from a 7 day one. I know that its definitely not an excuse but is there even that much of a difference? The players should be mentally and physically rested and ready for the next game after 144 hours (6 days) of a break.

roo=god
fingers
Saintsational Legend

"It’s a position that we’ve worked hard to create with excellent conditioners and training habits and improving our football programs."

This is one area where the difference has come from for us this year. Lyon worked to get Mission to the Saints. Now it's starting to show.

HarveysDeciple

He also mentioned Adelaide's 9 day break as opposed to their 7..

I think if you have a 7 day break leading into a game it shouldn't matter what your opponent has, and Freo were playing at home, the crows had to fly accross the nullabor.

Strange thing to say.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Harvey took so long to apply for a senior coaching position because deep down he knew his forte was as an Assistant coach........

Now he is proving it.......

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
milney044
Club Player

Ah poor old Freo, I LOVE IT. What do you want the AFL to do? Fixture so there are no Sunday games and squeeze everyone in on the Saturday? There are going to be 6 day breaks here and there, every team has them. Suck it up i say it's not like we're playing on Thursday night.

Fremantle, they really are pathetic, i really want to see them suffer this week. :twisted:

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Mark Harvey has no clue... worst coach for a very long time... no direction, no game plan, terrible in the media (which only exasperates the above), his team have been going around with what only looks like even worse skills than last year and run around like a headless chook.

We will smash them by ALOT 100 is on the cards, watched the entire fremantle game which was so ordinary it was painful to come to this conclusion no bias but it will be a bath

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Freo are playing kids at the moment.

To be honest, If I was a Freo Supporter, you would have to be somewhat content with the long term stance of their current coaches...

But one day's rest will make sweet FA difference on Saturday night...

If we nail 65+ tackles again, Freo are in for one hell of a hiding...

We saw some almighty thumpings at the dome during the Thomas era, I think that we might see something bigger on Saturday.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Harvey took so long to apply for a senior coaching position because deep down he knew his forte was as an Assistant coach........

Now he is proving it.......
Bob !!

Are you related to, or on the same wave length as Grant Thomas. He said a very similar thing the other day !!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I'll be bullish.

The Saints will increase their percentage this round (currently at 172.7%).

Marcus1232
Club Player

agree inker I think freo are in for a rough night at the office