over rated?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hobbo
Club Player

over rated?

hey guys i dont post here very often but just wondering if you guys also think like i do that Nick Riewoldt is an over rated player? i know he can take a mark but his kicking of goal is pathetic.He is starting to remind me of Stewart Loewe.... what are your thoughts?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I think you would be suprised by his goal kicking accuracy. It's actually not that bad - not great but not terrible either.

Nick's value is more than goal kicking. His work rate is 2nd to none and in a contested situation will almost always bring the ball to ground if he can't mark it.

Don't judge him by goals alone.

Marcus1232
Club Player

He most certainly isn't overrated. His work rate is what every player at st.kilda should aspire to have.
I watched his game on the weekend and he was 2nd in contested possessions
i think. He has gradually improved with each match this yr and i would have had him in my best 5 last week.

hobbo
Club Player

ok i admit using "over rated" is abit harsh but i still think being a forward its his job to be able kick goals inside 50.Whenever he has the ball in his hands having a shot at goal im never confidant he'll get the 6 points

TheOptimist
Club Player

It is foolish to judge him purely on goal kicking. Take a closer look at what he does to set things up.

... Oh how I want to be with St Kilda!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

First thing I thought of when I saw this thread was the amused uproar that greeted the suggestion he be moved to CHB.

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=50716
hobbo wrote:ok i admit using "over rated" is abit harsh but i still think being a forward its his job to be able kick goals inside 50.Whenever he has the ball in his hands having a shot at goal im never confidant he'll get the 6 points
He was in a similar position this time last year, then towards the tail end started slotting them through the sticks like magic. Averaged 2 goals per game up until R16, then almost doubled it for the remainder of the year.

Number 7 on last year's Coleman list, if you don't mind.

Number 1 grab in the comp last year with 240 marks. If you don't mind.

I think you'll find that Riewoldt is largely regarded around here as the best CHF in the comp, and a great leader who sets an example with a huge workrate. Has stood up time and time again to rally the team when things looked like going from bad to worse. Hasn't been a "matchwinner" yet for us this year but he wore that thorny crown plenty of times last year. You couldn't in all conscience ask anyone to stand up as many times as he has done. He thoroughly deserves the captaincy.

Roo is an indispensable player.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote: He was in a similar position this time last year, then towards the tail end started slotting them through the sticks like magic. Averaged 2 goals per game up until R16, then almost doubled it for the remainder of the year.

I think you'll find that Riewoldt is largely regarded around here as the best CHF in the comp, and a great leader who sets an example with a huge workrate. Has stood up time and time again to rally the team when things looked like going from bad to worse. Hasn't been a "matchwinner" yet for us this year but he wore that thorny crown plenty of times last year. You couldn't in all conscience ask anyone to stand up as many times as he has done. He thoroughly deserves the captaincy.

Exactly. Elite. Best CHF in the comp in my biased opinion. Has a tendency to miss some goals he should kick. I too thought his goal kicking was piss poor until someone else on here pointed out the stats that show he's around the mark with Brown, Tredrea etc.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
InkerSaint wrote: He was in a similar position this time last year, then towards the tail end started slotting them through the sticks like magic. Averaged 2 goals per game up until R16, then almost doubled it for the remainder of the year.

Exactly. Elite. Best CHF in the comp in my biased opinion. Has a tendency to miss some goals he should kick. I too thought his goal kicking was piss poor until someone else on here pointed out the stats that show he's around the mark with Brown, Tredrea etc.
The stats don't take into account the out on the fulls and the ones that don't make the distance or are sprayed.

HarveysDeciple

hobbo wrote:ok i admit using "over rated" is abit harsh but i still think being a forward its his job to be able kick goals inside 50.Whenever he has the ball in his hands having a shot at goal im never confidant he'll get the 6 points
Ha a better conversion rate some of the games star key forwards, like Lance Franklin for example.

Is not over rated at all, his kicking is inconsistent, nowhere near pathetic, and stewart loewe was a champion.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

taken the most marks, contested and uncontested over the last 8 years.

is a freak.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Aside from his goalkicking, he was second in the AFL in score assists last year. He only just came back from a knee surgery a month ago. His kicking should get better as the season rolls on.

He's not even slightly overrated.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

he's a wonderful player and not overrated, but nor is he perfect.

his kicking for goal lets him down at times, but being the consumate professional he is i'm sure he will get on top of that weakness.

one thing i will say is that we've looked a hell of a lot better while not relying solely on him to kick us a winning score.

any return to the "kick it to roo" days will be bad news for the club, imo.

it's an easy trap to fall into ... carlton suffers from it with fev ... and we need to avoid it.

SaintDebi
Club Player

Being Reminded of Stewie Loewe doesn't sound like a bad thing to me. I hate to admit it now, but I went through a (short) stage of thinking Roo might be overrated, that is until I looked at his stats and really watched his performance. Very few players have a perfect record, and I do think Roo is a confidence goal kicker at times, but his return is better than a lot of other key ffs. And don't forget his performance in the goalsquare is only as good as the delivery to him. Not to mention the fact that he is double teamed nearly every game.
I'm pretty happy when the ball's in Rooey's hands, but having said that I think he will perform a lot better this year if we don't put him under undue pressure by continuing to spread the goals around the midfielders like we have so far this year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's his work rate and leadership that people are usually highlighting as his strengths, not so much his goal kicking.

hobbo
Club Player

im very happy to see the nick has proven me wrong in the last 2 weeks :) he must be a secret SAINTSATIONAL.com member and read this thread :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

4 x Trevor Barker Medals to date. Could end his career with 6 or more. Definately NOT over-rated !!

noob
Club Player

I miss stewie. My favourite player ever.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

can kick goals from 50 on the left

not over rated at all. GUN

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Re: over rated?

hobbo wrote:hey guys i dont post here very often but just wondering if you guys also think like i do that Nick Riewoldt is an over rated player? i know he can take a mark but his kicking of goal is pathetic.He is starting to remind me of Stewart Loewe.... what are your thoughts?
So I take it Stewart Leowe was over rated?

StSteven
Club Player

Hmmmm Troll or Dorothy Dix? Is that you Nick?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:I miss stewie. My favourite player ever.
lol me too

i think the forumite intended that as an insult

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Slightly off topic... one thing that I noticed, being up close to Stewie as he walked off a game once... was that he had a lot of hair on the top of his ams, kinda near his shoulders. He was actually very hairy. Nick doesn't have this problem; not even close.

Just in case you were wondering. :D

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
saintly_safes
Club Player

Nick is alot of things & over rated is not one of them. He is the main focal point , he demands two defenders every week , he keeps on presenting no matter what the score is , he is an inspirational leader that sets a standard that motivates others to follow his example & most of all he lives breathes & loves the saints as much as you & I do if not more

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I would have agreed on this at about the same time last season but Nick had a turning point himself last year and it coincided with him choosing to play without all the bandages.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:Slightly off topic... one thing that I noticed, being up close to Stewie as he walked off a game once... was that he had a lot of hair on the top of his ams, kinda near his shoulders. He was actually very hairy. Nick doesn't have this problem; not even close.

Just in case you were wondering. :D
I can vaguely remember one of Stewie's younger team-mates once saying that the reason Stewie had such hairy shoulders was because he tried some hair growing potion for his scone and it all spilt down on to his shoulders, missing the the target that was his head :lol: :lol: :lol:

It might have been Aussie Jones, but I'm not sure !!