GRANT THOMAS CHAT FORUM

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

heavenly

GRANT THOMAS CHAT FORUM

Hey all - I know a little birdie who told me Grant Thomas is going to be doing some kind of live chat on ninemsn's sports site tomorrow - around lunchtime...

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Better tell b4e, give him some time to get some ruck stats together...

GrumpyOne

OLB wrote:Better tell b4e, give him some time to get some ruck stats together...
LOL

claystreet
Club Player

Who is Grant Thomas? and is he anyway associated with the Stkilda FC??
and if not could we please put him the money grabbing POS in another part of the forum.

:roll:

Depressed
Club Player

Grant Thomas turned St kilda football club into a professional organization. He would have delivered a premiership if it wasn't for the injury curse. Especially in 2005 when we had 7 players missing in the prelim and Sydney had made just 1 forced change in the last 10 weeks of that season. :twisted:

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

GT Should of done something about all the soft tissue injurys.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
claystreet
Club Player

Depressed wrote:Grant Thomas turned St kilda football club into a professional organization. :twisted:
Now i know your dreaming

:lol:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

GT = flawed genius

His ability to take on so many tasks and do them well turned our club around

His inability to delegate cost this team a premiership

He never would have taken us to the premiership, but he did well to a point. Had he have resigned at the end of 2005, he would have gone down as one of the greats IMO

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Depressed wrote:Grant Thomas turned St kilda football club into a professional organization. He would have delivered a premiership if it wasn't for the injury curse. Especially in 2005 when we had 7 players missing in the prelim and Sydney had made just 1 forced change in the last 10 weeks of that season. :twisted:
no wonder your depressed reading that tripe.

“Yeah….nah””
markp
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: He never would have taken us to the premiership, but he did well to a point. Had he have resigned at the end of 2005, he would have gone down as one of the greats IMO
I totally agree with this (financial issues aside)... just like johnny howard, he stayed a year too long.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Depressed wrote:Grant Thomas turned St kilda football club into a professional organization. He would have delivered a premiership if it wasn't for the injury curse. Especially in 2005 when we had 7 players missing in the prelim and Sydney had made just 1 forced change in the last 10 weeks of that season. :twisted:
You give him credit for something he doesn't deserve (it would be Rod Butterss who turned the club around), and excuse one of his flaws as a "curse".

I'm sick of the GT apologists around here.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
You give him credit for something he doesn't deserve (it would be Rod Butterss who turned the club around), and excuse one of his flaws as a "curse".

I'm sick of the GT apologists around here.

You're right. I reckon we should kidnap him, hog-tie and throw in the Yarra. If he floats....etc. etc.

Then we should do the same to Robert Harvey.

He played with us, couldn't win us a flag, then leaves for money to another club to plot our downfall and prevent us from having any success in the future.

Let's get 'em both!!! :twisted:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Look I think my views of GT in the latter part of his career are well known.

However....there is no denying that GT (this includes the period before he became coach ) ALONG with others including Waldron, Butterss, Kellet..and several others were instrumental in turning the Saints around from being a basket case.

For this he has my thanks and appreciation....and the Saints are still well position due to this re-invigoration and and re-building/re-focusing.

However GT did not turn the club around as a sole effort. That is incorrect.

As time went by IMO the team of people that were rebuilding the Saints fell apart when Waldron departed....and rather than pushing all in the same direction we instead had people pulling in opposite directions with the result that the Saints started to decline.

That GT later proved to have limitations as a coach....and wanted to oversee areas such as player conditioning and fitness for which he had no expertise left the Saints underachieving with the talent that had been assembled due to earlier great recruiting, pure luck that the AFL had introduced priority picks when we could benefit, a draft system that rewarded poor performance and that Blight being appointed as coach made it attractive for good to star players to joina basket-case of a club.

So are we a better club for GT having stepped in? Most definitely yes.

Should he have been given the head coaching role? No. He did not have the runs on the board and his lack of expertise and suitability for such an elite role brought both him and the club undone.

Remember that we are talking about an ELITE role here..

GT may well be competent to coach at a lower level....but as an AFL coach in this era of detailed strategy and where the head AFL coach is required to be part of a HUGE off-field team....then no. GT's personality style is no suited to being such a team player and being a matrix-manager does not suit him.

The end-result was that while other clubs were evolving their off-field side, the Saints ere 100% going the other way as we regressed off-field to be under the control of one man with fingers in way to many pies ranging from media, to player conditioning, to player contracts....with the actual coaching role thus only being a part-time activity rather than full-time one.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

sRr,

Kudos. Possibly the best post I have read regarding GT.

I had a recent discussion about GT with a friend of mine who coaches at Box Hill (I'm not sure at what level). He commented that one of GT's great achievements, and arguably his enduring legacy, was that he brought a talented bunch of kids together and fostered belief in themselves and belief in the group. That there are a dozen-odd players in the 25-to-28 age group who are still at the club is testament to this. Other clubs don't pick up disgruntled St Kilda talent - St Kilda picks up other clubs' disgruntled talent.

His legacy is inescapable. It just isn't as large as so many make out.
rodgerfox wrote:You're right. I reckon we should kidnap him, hog-tie and throw in the Yarra. If he floats....etc. etc.

Then we should do the same to Robert Harvey.

He played with us, couldn't win us a flag, then leaves for money to another club to plot our downfall and prevent us from having any success in the future.

Let's get 'em both!!! :twisted:
The only time GT and Robert Harvey should ever be mentioned together is in a phrase such as "GT is not fit to lick Robert Harvey's <insert item of clothing>".

One is a legend of the game.

The other is a long-eyelashed Jezebel.