Jason Gram

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

savatage
SS Life Member

SB10 wrote:Have a little theory on Gram's tackling, or lack of, as has been highlighted in this post.

Grammy's had a history of shoulder problems (collarbone, AC joint, maybe even a reco?) with a number of these being caused by tackling or by copping a direct hip and shoulder. Has always had his shoulders heavily strapped for stability.

This was evident against the Crows in Rnd 2, when lunging for a tackle I thought he may have popped the shoulder or done a collarbone. In the end it may have just been a "stinger" (very lucky).

He obviously has very weak shoulders, almost to the point that he can't even ride a bump. How many times have you seen him go down in pain from a simple side on bump? I can remember many........might be a reason he's not a great defensive spoiler either?

So just maybe he's under instruction to only tackle when absolutely necessary??

Maybe I'm cutting him too much slack but food for thought.
If that's the case he should be hitting the weights & building up the surrounding areas to offer sufficient protection! Time to get on the Creatine!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

he is probably given licence to to try and kick for goal outside 50.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:gram's been very good.

he's shanked a few kicks for goal while running at high speed, true, but he's giving us a lot of run.
Agreed.

If he could strighten up those long shots for goal, everyone would be calling him a gun.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
jackal
Club Player

Gram carries the ball well, is quick and has a booming long kick.

I agree that he does turn the ball over too much and his defensive qualities are limited. Having said that, I have been watching him very closely since the round 21 game against the Crows last year where I got to watch him try and seagull all day. He appears to have improved in this area and I would suggest that his efficiency of disposal is better this year so far. Must continue to work on the 1%ers and his disposal but has become a good midfielder and has a lot of upside.

rexy
SS Life Member

I am one who has been critical of Grams willingness to comit to the hard ball and stick tackles. The shoulder theory has some credit as he has several shoulder issues over time.

This needs to be put in to some perspective. I dont have any dramas with what he does with the ball, yes he is sloppy sometimes by foot, but he can kick it a long way and he has a crack, many times it is his own evasive skolls that have advanced the ball to a position that seems him close enough to go for goal. He is quick, he runs hard and he is a decent height for a mid also.

The question is not is he in our best 22, as clearly he is. But so was Dal when he was dropped. The question is, in a side that is trying to build a reputation as a tough uncomprimising hard tackling side, is the coach willing to give latitude to a prolific ball carrier who at times IMO refuses to put his head over the pill. Not talking at stoppages or centre bounces like Luke Ball or Lenny Hayes, I am talking in a 1 on 1 contest when chasing a loose ball on the wing etc. One on one contests then it is his job to be a ball winner as he is the only one in the contest to do it. I have noticed a few times that he pauses and lets the op player get the ball and then tackles him.

Maybe this year?
Beej
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Does anyone have the stats for how many times he hits the post when having a ping at the goals?? I don't remember watching someone hitting the post so consistently!
He hits the post .213 times every game.

So once every 5 games roughly.

He's second in the AFL for posts hit behind Cameron Mooney (.256)

*making it all up*

3:16
Club Player

saintly wrote:he is probably given licence to to try and kick for goal outside 50.

Then he needs to do this successfully, cause you carn't be outside player with poor foot - skills and expect to survive. He is constantly missing leads from forwards. He currently has the worst kicking effiecenty of any saint over the first 3 rounds. Needs to address this, but is carrying a leg injury at present. (in fairness)

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

3:16 wrote:Then he needs to do this successfully, cause you carn't be outside player with poor foot - skills and expect to survive. He is constantly missing leads from forwards. He currently has the worst kicking effiecenty of any saint over the first 3 rounds. Needs to address this, but is carrying a leg injury at present. (in fairness)
i haven't got the record handy, but the stats i was looking at during last week's game put him at number three (i think) out of our mids for kicking efficiency since the start of last year. (behind bj and dal, obviously.) in that time he's kicked 22.18. i feel pretty confident when he takes a shot from 50, and not too bad when he's spotting up forwards.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
SB10 wrote:Have a little theory on Gram's tackling, or lack of, as has been highlighted in this post.

Grammy's had a history of shoulder problems (collarbone, AC joint, maybe even a reco?) with a number of these being caused by tackling or by copping a direct hip and shoulder. Has always had his shoulders heavily strapped for stability.

This was evident against the Crows in Rnd 2, when lunging for a tackle I thought he may have popped the shoulder or done a collarbone. In the end it may have just been a "stinger" (very lucky).

He obviously has very weak shoulders, almost to the point that he can't even ride a bump. How many times have you seen him go down in pain from a simple side on bump? I can remember many........might be a reason he's not a great defensive spoiler either?

If that's the case he should be hitting the weights & building up the surrounding areas to offer sufficient protection! Time to get on the Creatine!
As someone who has had severe shoulder problems to the point of permanent nerve damage from constant dislocation I can tell you it's not that easy to simply put on the muscle that get's damaged.

I have had to virtually give up playing sport at any serious level (not saying I could have ever gone professional or anything) just because I really can't get my shoulder back to what it once was.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
savatage
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:
savatage wrote:

As someone who has had severe shoulder problems to the point of permanent nerve damage from constant dislocation I can tell you it's not that easy to simply put on the muscle that get's damaged.

I have had to virtually give up playing sport at any serious level (not saying I could have ever gone professional or anything) just because I really can't get my shoulder back to what it once was.
I can appreciate that - but have you given the creatine a go? Assuming you can still lift weights - just not overdoing it?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
3:16 wrote:Then he needs to do this successfully, cause you carn't be outside player with poor foot - skills and expect to survive. He is constantly missing leads from forwards. He currently has the worst kicking effiecenty of any saint over the first 3 rounds. Needs to address this, but is carrying a leg injury at present. (in fairness)
i haven't got the record handy, but the stats i was looking at during last week's game put him at number three (i think) out of our mids for kicking efficiency since the start of last year. (behind bj and dal, obviously.) in that time he's kicked 22.18. i feel pretty confident when he takes a shot from 50, and not too bad when he's spotting up forwards.
I just find this very hard to believe.

I have seen him kicking the ball which result in clangers time and time again, even some of his hand balls last year resulted in goals to the opposition.

He is trying too hard to kick the ball, which result in crap kicks.

Some or most of his passes have far too much hang time that leave our player sitting ducks.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!