Players that are now confusing me

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Players that are now confusing me

Gwilt
Geary
CJ
McQualter

These fringe type players haven't looked like they are up to the level when we have our work cut out and struggle to get a touch and now they look great. Tackling strong, getting plenty of it, great skills etc that were't really there before.

We all know what confidence can do but I'm wondering if I had these guys wrong and they're turning the corner or our high standard of play is bringing them into the game?

Obviously they do have the skills under the right conditions. Don't get me wrong I'm not at all complaining but it's now got me wondering.

carnasaints55
Club Player

Well, McQualter is going in MUCH harder then he ever has. Really selfless. Played a blinder round 1 but has not quite been THAT good for the past 2 rounds.still going alright though.

gwilt, although he did play very well yesterday, does not impress me. a bit slow and not very clever.

roo=god
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Players that are now confusing me

Winmar7Fan wrote:Gwilt
Geary
CJ
McQualter

These fringe type players haven't looked like they are up to the level when we have our work cut out and struggle to get a touch and now they look great. Tackling strong, getting plenty of it, great skills etc that were't really there before.

We all know what confidence can do but I'm wondering if I had these guys wrong and they're turning the corner or our high standard of play is bringing them into the game?

Obviously they do have the skills under the right conditions. Don't get me wrong I'm not at all complaining but it's now got me wondering.
IMO it is always your last 6 players that win you the flag. Others disagree on this but if they are better then ordinary it means you have a much more even team and that wins games. Who would have thought Jimmy and CJ would have over 25 possies in the same game. Not many. Yes they didnt win us the game yesterday as we could have had 5 ordinary players and still won but come finals time those type will be extremely important. Just look at the hawks in the GF last year. 2 of their better players were Dew and Ellis. Before the game they would have been in their last 6 picked. Eveness can win you a flag so we need to keep that up to be a real threat this year.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

IMHO these guys always had a role to ply but were either not used correctly or the game plan didnt suit them.

Gwilt - was never going to be a key backman but as a utility he can fill a hole and be a serviceable player

Geary - is still young and will improve as he gets experiance

CJ - could always run hard and get plenty of it but disposal let him down. Another pre season in him has worked wonders. Will get better from here IMHO

Mini - Previous game plan and position didnt suit him and his skills. Will never be an elite mid but as an in and under tackle machine can grow to be super important

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
starsign
Club Player

IMO it is always your last 6 players that win you the flag. Others disagree on this but if they are better then ordinary it means you have a much more even team and that wins games. Who would have thought Jimmy and CJ would have over 25 possies in the same game. Not many. Yes they didnt win us the game yesterday as we could have had 5 ordinary players and still won but come finals time those type will be extremely important. Just look at the hawks in the GF last year. 2 of their better players were Dew and Ellis. Before the game they would have been in their last 6 picked. Eveness can win you a flag so we need to keep that up to be a real threat this year.
I'm with you all the way on this one Plugger
Also loved Jimbos penetrating kicking forward which resulted in a couple of goals for memory
i think we have seen the lower ranks at Geelong grow in skill, statue and confidence as the team has kept winning well over the past few seasons. Opposition sides need 10 or 12 very good taggers which is basically unrealistic and out of the question, and the only way to match them is to do just this and bring our bottom 6 to 12 up to that same level

Solar
Saintsational Legend

disagree to an extent plugger66

you bottom 6 will get you into the position to win the flag but your top 6 will win it.

Look at geelong, their bottom six got them to the top position but when the flag was there to be won it was stevie johnson and ablete that won it for them.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:disagree to an extent plugger66

you bottom 6 will get you into the position to win the flag but your top 6 will win it.

Look at geelong, their bottom six got them to the top position but when the flag was there to be won it was stevie johnson and ablete that won it for them.
Cannot remember the game but i bet their bottom 6 on the day were more than servicable. That is my point. Your top 6 will probably play better but its the poorer players who need to lift. You say look at Geelong. Well what about the Hawks. Franklin and Mitchell were ordinary but Dew and Ellis were excellent.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote: Geary - is still young and will improve as he gets experiance
I was surprised to hear that Geary won the Best and Fairest for Bendigo Under 18s ahead of Joel Selwood.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Cannot remember the game but i bet their bottom 6 on the day were more than servicable. That is my point. Your top 6 will probably play better but its the poorer players who need to lift. You say look at Geelong. Well what about the Hawks. Franklin and Mitchell were ordinary but Dew and Ellis were excellent.
dew finished and yes ellis was great

but lets be honest, it was their star in hodge that won them the game

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

dew finished and yes ellis was great

but lets be honest, it was their star in hodge that won them the game
Your missing the point. Hodge is always a star but Dew and Ellis are not but on the day they were excellent. If they were ordinary then Geelong may very well have won the game.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Players that are now confusing me

Winmar7Fan wrote:Gwilt
Geary
CJ
McQualter

Add Zac Dawson to that list too:

They are ALL playing for their spot in a pretty handy side. Those not in the side wanting to take their spots include;

Max Hudghton
Matt Maguire
Raph Clarke
Zavier Clarke
Robert Eddy

Then we have Sean Dempster & Jaryd Allen on the Long Term Injury List and plenty of young players and rookies wanting to impress & push. Yeah, we're in pretty good shape ATM !!
Last edited by Eastern on Sun 12 Apr 2009 12:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

but plugger66 you said your bottom 6 win you flags.... which is wrong, they might help you not lose it, hell they might even stop the opposition winning it but since the dawn of AFL football it is the champions that win te big games.

Anyway our bottom six are doing everything wanted from them. Was very impessed with geary again and gwilt is working within his limitations.

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:but plugger66 you said your bottom 6 win you flags.... which is wrong, they might help you not lose it, hell they might even stop the opposition winning it but since the dawn of AFL football it is the champions that win te big games.

Anyway our bottom six are doing everything wanted from them. Was very impessed with geary again and gwilt is working within his limitations.
If they help you not lose surely they are helping you win. We expect the champions to play well every week. There is no debate on that but if the bottom 6 move into the next 6 then you improve because you have a more consistant side. In 1993 we had Lockett, loewe, winmar, harvey, burke and grant which may be some of the best 6 to ever represent the club but couldnt win a flag because our bottom 6 were not good enough

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:but plugger66 you said your bottom 6 win you flags.... which is wrong, they might help you not lose it, hell they might even stop the opposition winning it but since the dawn of AFL football it is the champions that win te big games.

If they help you not lose surely they are helping you win. We expect the champions to play well every week. There is no debate on that but if the bottom 6 move into the next 6 then you improve because you have a more consistant side. In 1993 we had Lockett, loewe, winmar, harvey, burke and grant which may be some of the best 6 to ever represent the club but couldnt win a flag because our bottom 6 were not good enough
because the bottom 6 were not good enough to get those players to a grand final. Anyway lets agree to disagree :)

FQF
In richo I trust

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

because the bottom 6 were not good enough to get those players to a grand final. Anyway lets agree to disagree :)
ahhh the old top 6 Vs bottom 6 debate.
It is easy to pull out a game and draw conclusions to suit. (ie to point to Dew as a bottom 6 player is a long stretch given hawthorn convinced him to come out of retirement to draft him)
Fact is tho if your top 6 arent better than the oppositions top 6 you will lose. 2008 GF Mooney couldnt hit a barn door in the end, and it sapped the side of hope and gave the hawks a BIG sniff.
At the other end of the list, the bottom 6 is usually constantly changing so it is always hard to point a blaming finger at them.
Sorry the only way I can agree with the bottom 6 premise is if they all move up a notch and you have 18 top 6 players and 6 really crap bottom ones all in the back line.

Seeya
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Solar you are being pedantic. I am sure Plugger means if your bottom 6 are poor, so is the team.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am pleased with the form of Jones, McQualter, Geary, and even Gwilt. Not sure about Dawson yet. Was loose yesterday. Also Schnieder's form has not been brilliant. Baker must improve on yesterday to retain his place as well.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Solar you are being pedantic. I am sure Plugger means if your bottom 6 are poor, so is the team.
not really...

if you have a bunch of average players but no stars then you will not win a flag, but you will be very close to winning half of your games. I'm all for improving the bottom 6 but usually they play in areas where it's stopping the opposition (backline/taggers) or on flanks. You still need your guns to play very well.

FQF
In richo I trust

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. But if your bottom 6 players are not playing well you wont win many finals.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Agreed. But if your bottom 6 players are not playing well you wont win many finals.
which is what I said right at the start :P bottom six get you to the grand final, your stars win you the flag

FQF
In richo I trust

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Where does Sydney's premiership side sit in this argument? A very even side across the board with only a few genuine stars.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Where does Sydney's premiership side sit in this argument? A very even side across the board with only a few genuine stars.
And that is exactly why you need a good bottom 6. As I have said every finals side has a great top 6 but not all have an even bottom 6 otherwise we should accept the 1992 flag today.