Article on Gardiner

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Article on Gardiner

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx? ... tID=135234

Rejuvenated Gardiner to lock horns with best in the business

9th April 2009, 8:30 WST

Dumped West Coast ruckman Michael Gardiner’s rebirth at St Kilda will be put to a brutal test on Saturday against the man he once almost forced to go to Moorabbin.

Eagles big man Dean Cox was so frustrated at living in Gardiner’s hulking shadow in 2003 that he had all but agreed to move to St Kilda.

Coach Grant Thomas even considered it a done deal, but lamented that the failure to seal it ultimately cost the club a drought-breaking flag before he was dumped at the end of 2006 after their third-straight finals finish, including two preliminary finals.

“I’ve got no doubt it would have dramatically assisted us,â€

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

If only we had Cox.

Why doesn't GT give reasons for the deal falling through? Did West Coast pull out? Did we pull out? Was it one of those "faxed at 2.01pm" deals that missed the deadline? I'd like to hear the reasons if it was allegedly a "done deal" or "fait accompli" as GT calls it.

Cox would almost definitely have taken us to a Grand Final.

The Saints are coming!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Congrats on reaching 1000 posts True Blue.

Isn't it clear already? Gardiner had his knee injury, and Cox finally had an opportunity to break into the Eagles' side.

I don't know why GT craps on so much. It's not as if Cox and Gardi haven't lined up before. In fact Gardi has some atonement to make up for his abysmal showing at Subiaco last year.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Didn't GT say ruckman arn't important? Guess he changed his mnd>

Qld Saints Supporter Group
mick13
Club Player

Didnt know we were so close to having Cox...

Who knows though, Cox may never have become the superstar he is if he came to the Saints...

We have Gardi now though, and lets hope he puts up a decent show against Cox this weekend.

bob__71
Club Player

Gardy will kick his butt big time.

older saint
SS Life Member

Gardiner got injured towards the end of the season 2003 and Cox came in and did a pretty good job. Wc had worries re Gardiner's injury and other off field matters and they pulled the pin on it.

savatage
SS Life Member

GT with the rent-a-quotes again.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

-- mounted one final resistance against the growing St Kilda overtures and his break came the following year in round three when Gardiner suffered a season-ending knee injury which ultimately triggered his unravelling at the Eagles--

See this is where the story breaks down.

Gardiner was AA in 2003. If Cox was on the market in the off season why didn't we get him then?

It states gardiner did his knee in R3 2004. Were we going to wait a whole season before Cox signed?

Doesn't add up.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:-- mounted one final resistance against the growing St Kilda overtures and his break came the following year in round three when Gardiner suffered a season-ending knee injury which ultimately triggered his unravelling at the Eagles--

See this is where the story breaks down.

Gardiner was AA in 2003. If Cox was on the market in the off season why didn't we get him then?

It states gardiner did his knee in R3 2004. Were we going to wait a whole season before Cox signed?

Doesn't add up.
agreed...why did it brake down...its not as if cox and his group would have listened to the eagles saying that gardiner was a bad boy etc

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Cox would have made a hell of a difference in 2004. We would have won the last 2 games of of the year...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
starsign
Club Player

Cox would have made a hell of a difference in 2004. We would have won the last 2 games of of the year...
and GT could still be coach..........and if my auntie had Niagras she'd be my uncle!

its history and you cant change it
I don't expect him to murder Cox this week but
Gards has to atone for his shocker v WCE last year...he owes us this one at least!

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Gardiner got injured toward the end of 2003 - his AA year - and Cox showed glimpses of the ruckman he was going to become. He averaged 13.5 disposals and 25.5 hitouts while Gardiner was out and then in R22 - after Gardiner had returned - he had a 21 touch, 2 goal game against Freo. I think his late season play would have made WC very nervous about trading him.

I think the implication is that Cox was leaning toward coming here during 2003. By the end of 03 though, he looked like he was going to get a chance where he was, so he stayed put. I'm not going to say it cost us a flag, but having a dominant ruckman would have made a big difference to our 04-06 finals campaigns. Then again, he may have fallen into our injury trap and never become the star he has had he crossed.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SuperSaint
Club Player

If you read between the lines, GT's 'if' comments often are far from 100% factual. He needs to look in the mirror 'harder and longer' and then he might finally realize that his arrogance and autocratic style of leadership is what eventually cost him his position.

yipper
SS Life Member

Under the GT fitness regime, he woulda done a hammy in his 1st game with us!!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:Under the GT fitness regime, he woulda done a hammy in his 1st game with us!!!
spot on.

Pity GT doesn't understand that very little point eh? :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
yipper wrote:Under the GT fitness regime, he woulda done a hammy in his 1st game with us!!!
spot on.

Pity GT doesn't understand that very little point eh? :roll:
Yep he stuffed up the club. Nothing to do with the fact we werent allowed to spend the money on what we do now.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

i have been telling the forum this for years and for one last time

We nearly got Cox but in the end Cox & West Cpoast pulled the deal BUT the deal had been done bar the paperwork.

We almost got Simmonds but Richmond gazumped us with a 5 year deal someting we were not prepared to match.

GT rated ruckmen ... but only GOOD ruckmen ... he felt average and poor ruckmen who got less than 10 disposals in a match and only average to poor tap ruckmen were a waste of space.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Savatage got it right. G. Thomas and his love of a ruckman that kicked off his career as a rookie hack? Spare me, FFS.

Oh, yeah, GT wanted Cox. Bullsmtye. This bloke goes on with the same nonsense and people buy it.

We have a coach. He's smart, smarter than his predecessor and he is the fella that takes us forward.

Grant, Grant, Grant - you freakin' waste of space. Unlike the Beverley Hillbillies, don't you dare come back now.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
ace
Saintsational Legend

So we missed getting Cox at the end of 2003 but hey we got Cain Ackland at the end of 2004.
OOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH!!!!

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
ace
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas talked a lot about not needing a ruckman but that was just spin because we didn't have one.
The truth is he tried like hell to get one.

He traded pick 45 for Trent Knobel at the end of 2001.
He wasted pick 6 at the end of 2002 on a trade for Barry Brooks when he could have picked a quality player like Steven Salopek (and would have).
He tried unsucessfully to get Dean Cox at the end of 2003.
He tried to get Simmonds at the end of 2004 but when that failed got Cain Ackland by trading pick 33 instead.
Those are not the actions of a coach who doesn't believe in ruckmen.

Thomas knew and believed he needed a quality ruckman but when those he had, failed to deliver, he did what good managers do, he took the flack for his players by pretending the lack of a good ruckmen did not matter.

Some of you children and adults who haven't grown up need to learn about management.
You don't bag your staff to others unless you are prepared to sack them.
Then you make an example of them (Matthew Capuano).
You critique them privately and support them publicly up until that point.
A good manager wears the blame and responsibilty for his staff's failures.
When the staff see the manager do that they will often respond by lifting their game to support their manager.

You don't have to like Grant Thomas but you don't need to ignore the truth either.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Solar
Saintsational Legend

glad some people can remember that actual quote, GT never said he didn't rate ruckman, just did not rate average ruckman whole did not give you an option around the ground. Better to play a shorter player, lose the tap but gain an extra midfielder (see blake).

Anyway can't wait to see these two lock horns. Love two big rucks going at each other.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:So we missed getting Cox at the end of 2003 but hey we got Cain Ackland at the end of 2004.
OOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH!!!!
Didn't we go out and get Ackland in 2004 after Knobel decided to 'walk' to Richmond?

widereceiver
Club Player

Get it right, FFS.

It's ancient history folks, but those eejits, including some in the media, who bag Thomas for not rating ruckmen should get their facts straight, finally, and then analyse what his real weaknesses were. Perhaps proper analysis may be a leap for the GT baggers who swallowed this furphy hook, line and sinker.

I bag him for having only one gameplan and his "training services" record.

It wasn't his fault we couldn't acquire a real ruckman.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:Get it right, FFS.

It's ancient history folks, but those eejits, including some in the media, who bag Thomas for not rating ruckmen should get their facts straight, finally, and then analyse what his real weaknesses were. Perhaps proper analysis may be a leap for the GT baggers who swallowed this furphy hook, line and sinker.

I bag him for having only one gameplan and his "training services" record.

It wasn't his fault we couldn't acquire a real ruckman.
Other than recruiting a young Brooks (for pick 6) and continuing to play Kosi as a ruckman, did GT try to draft/develop/nurture a ruck prospect?

I think he kept on trying to get a 'ready-made' one by trading rather than developing one.

His 'I don't rate ruckmen' quote has been misquoted by many for years, but it still doesn't change the fact that other than Brooks and a dogmatic approach to Kosi, he did sfa to develop a young ruckman,

How many ruck prospect kids were drafted between Kosi and Ben McEvoy by other clubs?

RL has already shown in 3 drafts that he has a philosophical difference to GT in this area.
He traded for aging ready made ruckmen (Clarke, Gardiner, King) whilst at teh same time taking McEvoy, Haretuku, McGrath, Stanley, Gaertner with draft picks for the future.