Kosi's awareness !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Kosi's awareness !!

I have a theory on Kosi's perceived lack of awareness. This theory has come from years & years of dealing with Learner Drivers.

In many cases, awareness dramatically decreases as intensity increases. With young drivers, tension levels get to a point where whole sections of the body almost freeze up. It is normally the top part of the body that includes the head, neck, shoulders & arms, and I suspect the eyes. They get to a point where they are unable to see anything more than 5 degrees either side of straight in front, and not much further in front than the bonnet of the car. This can have disasterous consequences, normally on driving tests when intensity is at its highest.

Getting young drivers to relax just prior to their driving test is no easy task, and I am yet to perfect it in every case.

Taking that theory to Kosi's awareness;

The 1st question would be; How wound up does he get prior to a game? I suspect pretty wound up as evidenced by the throwing up on Friday Night. That being the case, my theory is that Kosi might be a "Laid Back" character during the week and really ramps up the intensity on Game Day, possibly too far from bottom to top. This would possibly be different for guys who come out of the private school system where intensity and competitiveness is much higher in everything these kids do at school. This would then mean that the Laid Back country boys would find the ups and downs in intensity much more difficult to come to terms with.

Please feel free to shoot this theory down in flames !!
Last edited by Eastern on Thu 09 Apr 2009 9:04am, edited 2 times in total.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

His awareness was spot on when he high 5'd BJ's face. :D

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Very true....

In some games I played, where I was unable to relax I would focus too hard on the footy and lose awareness of the game around me....I would often run into players (that I did not see) whilst setting myself for a grab or get crunched, tackled because I had blinkers on....

Other games where I was up and about and full of confidence I would be fully aware of everything......and when in rare form, you seem to be able to predict what is going to happen and the play seems in slow motion.....out of form it is frantic...

Funny what state of mind will do to the body......I am a cricketer, and love the arousal part of the game....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kosi's awareness !!

Eastern wrote:Please feel free to shoot this theory down in flames !!
there could be something in what you say, but without being inside his mind it's hard to know.

if tension is a problem there are various natural therapies that can really help, such as meditation, eft, and relaxation therapy,

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Kosi has a medical problem with his peripheral vision, which was known to all before he was drafted.

Anyone who has watched the Saints over the past 10 years is aware of this, if not, you haven't been watching.

Having said that I hope that he continues to perform as he has started this year. Players around him need to let him know what is happening around him.
Gia should never been allowed to clean him up without a teammate letting him know what was coming.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
casey scorp
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Kosi has a medical problem with his peripheral vision, which was known to all before he was drafted.

Anyone who has watched the Saints over the past 10 years is aware of this, if not, you haven't been watching.
Eastern is aware of that - what he's doing is providing a potential explanation for it.
Eastern wrote:I have a theory on Kosi's perceived lack of awareness.

In many cases, awareness dramatically decreases as intensity increases.

.....tension levels get to a point where whole sections of the body almost freeze up. It is normally the top part of the body that includes the head, neck, shoulders & arms, and I suspect the eyes.

They get to a point where they are unable to see anything more than 5 degrees aither side of straight in front, and not much further in front than the bonnet of the car.
That seems to be a pretty accurate description of a lack of peripheral vision.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

A solution might be that we turn Kosi into a "Head Wobbler". That would mean he is using his whole head and not just his eyes to open up his central vision, but I'm guessing that if its a diagnosed problem there would be experts assisting him.

Does anyone have any suggestions of simple exercises that might help? I have one; Get Kosi to physically check where both boundry umpires are located as he starts a lead. Any more? !!

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Eastern, I wonder if Kosi found it difficult getting his drivers licence. Maybe you can find out?

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Loyal
Club Player

guy is a great of the game and you lot are bagging him.
guy is as hard as they come.
guy is tough.

who cares about awareness.
guy is genuinely tough and hard.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would rather a guy that shows no regard for safety and when you cant see whats coming you cant fear it. Fiora could have done with Kosi disorder- he'd still be playing if he didnt pull out of contests.

Just dont let him high-five team mates. He nearly took out Roos eye last year as well.

Perhaps he could high-five the opposition defenders to celebrate.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Luke Ball gets pollaxed more than Kosi.

One thing that people forget, is that what makes Kosi the potential star that he is - is that he doesn't look sideways. He only has eyes for the ball.

If Kosi was to start being 'more aware', I highly doubt he'd be as effective.

Loyal
Club Player

if we wanted an owl in the goalsquare aaron hamill would still be playing.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Kosi has a medical problem with his peripheral vision, which was known to all before he was drafted.

Would you like to outline this supposed "medical problem". the only thing I heard that his peripheral vision tests at Draft Camp were low but subsequent test found them to be normal.

Would be interested for you to back this statement up with the evidence. Not having a go at you but I have never heard this before.

As for Kosi and awareness - it is an out of proportion myth.

All the know it alls who crapped on about the Giansiracusa (sic) hit really dont know what they are talking about. They have seen it from angles on TV that dont tell the whole story.

That hit happened 20 metres from where B4E, Bigred, and I was sitting. Bigred remarked as Gia was running at Kosi - something like - "He is gunna cop it". We could all see it coming from where we were, but Kosi couldn't because he was totally blindsided. It had NOTHING - absolutely NOTHING to do with awareness peripheral vision. Kosi was running at an angle and Gia came from the an angle that Kosi would have had to be a contorsionist to see him.

We then have his supposed lack of awareness against Sydney because he got hit in a shepard chasing the ball carrier - more building on the myth. Funnily enough didn't mention Barry Halls lack of awareness when Zac Dawson sat him on his arse.

It is a myth perpetuated by the media to have something to say.

Deconstruct it and it is basically BS.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Loyal
Club Player

justin koschitzke is virtually unstoppable at this point.

Batnoe

Otiman wrote:His awareness was spot on when he high 5'd BJ's face. :D
what about last year when he high fived Roo, and poked him the eye? has anyone got footage of both of these?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I think Bernard Shakey has peripheral vision when he posts. Mite, you should work at the club seeing you're such an expert in small minded matters. But then again maybe they wouldn't able to put such a small minded guy like yourself to work. You're such an expert in such a narrow field. Geez I'm as good as you at making this sh!t up.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Media personalities have questioned the awareness of Luke Ball and Brendon Goddard as well. I reckon it's a way of blaming Kosi and Ball for their own misfortune rather than praising them for their courage. Goddard was criticised for the supposed frequency which he was run down by the opposition.

Kosi and Ball have shown 100% commitment to the contest even when it risks their own health and safety. I can understand why people might think they don't know what they're doing, but I believe they do. With those two players, they would rather go in and wind up hurt than shirk the contest and have to explain why to their teammates.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Duggie1
Club Player

I have always believed that Giansiracusa should have been outed for what he did :lol:

Always a Saint
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Go Sainters Go wrote:Eastern, I wonder if Kosi found it difficult getting his drivers licence. Maybe you can find out?
Privacy Laws, and the fact that he got his licence in NSW would prevent !!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote:Media personalities have questioned the awareness of Luke Ball and Brendon Goddard as well. I reckon it's a way of blaming Kosi and Ball for their own misfortune rather than praising them for their courage. Goddard was criticised for the supposed frequency which he was run down by the opposition.
I can see where you're coming from, and the point has merit in a lot of cases.

The thing that leads me to question Kosi's awareness is the extent and frequency with which he takes out his teammates. Even so, it's probably not something I'd ever have really noticed with more than amusement were it not for the beatup on Kosi's awareness - without being in his head, it's the kind of thing one assumes, but I'd never claim to know for sure that he lacks awareness.

A couple of glaring examples - last week against Adelaide, there were instances of Kosi running with the flight as Roo lead to the contest, and vice versa. In Roo's case, even though Kosi was coming from further into Roo's peripheral vision, Roo slowed up enough to keep his defender from the contest. Kosi marked and kicked a goal (his 2nd I believe). When the tables were turned late in the game, the two collided, effectively spoiling each other.

Now I recognise that when leading at a ball in the air, it's difficult to cater to anyone, and focus on the ball is all important. However, it's obviously the responsibility of the player who's NOT running with the flight to protect the guy running with the flight... I recognise it's a tough balancing act, but one seems to see (or at least notice - I can't actually difinitively say it happens to him more than others) Kosi taking out his teammates when they're running with the flight fairly often. It's what ended Luke Ball's season last year.

It might be a case of Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc (or however it's spelt) misperception... but there's no doubt a big, strong, eyes ONLY for the ball forward like Kosi is a danger to himself and others.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote: A couple of glaring examples - last week against Adelaide, there were instances of Kosi running with the flight as Roo lead to the contest, and vice versa. In Roo's case, even though Kosi was coming from further into Roo's peripheral vision, Roo slowed up enough to keep his defender from the contest. Kosi marked and kicked a goal (his 2nd I believe). When the tables were turned late in the game, the two collided, effectively spoiling each other.
I understand that Kosi's 'eyes in the back of head' indicators were pretty low at the draft camp. We took him on with full knowledge of that, though. It should come as no surprise to anyone. Similarly, Nick Riewoldt's 'Mine, Kosi' vocal delivery technique was scrutinised extensively prior to picking him up in the draft. Impressed by his vertical leap, athleticism, leadership qualities, marking ability, and aerobic capacity they decided to press ahead with the pick regardless. I guess they figured they could coach the vocal delivery skill into him later...

And joffaboy, I'm STILL dirty about that Gia hit. It was a low, low, cowardly blindsiding snipe. Have always believed that.

Loyal
Club Player

*bold statement*

justin koschitzke is the best contested mark in the competition.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
That hit happened 20 metres from where B4E, Bigred, and I was sitting.
Larry, Curly & Mo :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :wink: !!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re best contested mark...

Competition?

Riewoldt, Franklin, Roughead, Fev?

I'm not really thinking it through, but those names seem to fit...

Loyal
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Re best contested mark...

Competition?

Riewoldt, Franklin, Roughead, Fev?

I'm not really thinking it through, but those names seem to fit...
yep!

Riewoldt Franklin Roughead Fevola Koschitzke