Player Review - Round 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Player Review - Round 2

Gram - Quiet night. Struggled to get into the game and ball use was ordinary. EDIT: After checking the stats it looks like he actually got a lot of it...guess I just didn't notice him doing much

King - Reasonable game as a backup to Gardiner. Kicked an early goal which makes his game look much better

Hayes - Ok return. Was useful but far from his best.

Baker - Another solid night. Spoiling was excellent

Montagna - Very good. Got us started and kept going all night

Riewoldt - Still way off but managed a couple of goals. Needs to know his limitations - he had three shots from the boundary line with a strong wind against him and should have given it off or centered it

Schneider - Useful game. Still looks a bit slow but managed to make a solid contribution

Ball - Good, tough game. Ball use not great but his clearance work and tackling is great.

Gardiner - Best ruckman we've had for seven years. Gives a good contest in the hitouts and really has a presence around the groud.

Goddard - Copped a hard tag and struggled with it. Will have to learn to beat it if he's going to play in the midfield

Gilbert - Down on last week but still good. Is fast becoming one of our best

Ray - Also down on round 1 but a good performance. Adapting to a more inside game well

Koschitzke - Very good. He's in good touch and his confidence is high. We would've had no chance without him tonight.

S.Fisher - Not quite at the same level of the last couple of years but good nonetheless. Defensive game was a bit lacking and didn't have as much time or space when rebounding

Dal Santo - Outstanding. Kept going strong for four quarters and put in a hell of an effort.

Blake - Had me a bit worried at times but he did his job. Would like to see him moving up the ground a bit more

McQualter - Started very well, went missing for half the game and then finished off well. His attack on the ball is superb and looks to be desperate to cement a regular spot.

Gwilt - Doesn't look up to it. Was a bit better in the last quarter but just doesn't seem to have the footy smarts required to have an impact

Jones - Ball use in space has improved but still panics under pressure and either coughs it up or smacks it on the boot for opposition zones to take freely.

Geary - Poor first half but looked very good once he was played in front of the ball. He is a smart, creative player and looks way better when he's allowed to make the play rather than constantly chase an opponent around.

Dawson - Last week I think we all got a bit carried away with the Dawson-love. He was regularly beaten in one-on-one contests tonight and struggled a bit without the masses of support he got last week. He certainly wasn't disgraced, but he's no certainty to keep his spot once Max is back.

Milne - Things didn't quite go his way but put in a good game. The only down side would be that the opposition still shrug his tackles far too easily

rexy
SS Life Member

Just beat adelaide in adelaide by 5 goals and you thought half the side were either quiet, poor or down? Agree that Dawson was beaten 1 on 1 to often and Jones was quiet but was tagging alot and you dont see the work off the ball on TV so it is hard to comment. Thought Gram was o.k with the ball and tackled well, worried about his attack on the loose ball though and his kicking errors let him down in bad spots some time. Gee BJ gave him a spray in the backline. Thought everyone else was a solid contributor.

Maybe this year?
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Pretty fair appraisal. What I think is most exciting is the improvement left in us. That Riewoldt, Goddard, Gram, Hayes, Milne could all lift significantly, and with Max and Raph to come back, these are good signs.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintbob
SS Life Member

Dawson- Seems more comfortable playing on leading forwards, where he can get a run a jump at the contest.
Does struggle a bit with forwards who like to play deep in the square and use their body. Hopefully SOS is working on that side of his game.

Gwilt - Seemed to get caught behind to much tonight IMO, especially when tried in the forward line.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Re: Player Review - Round 2

mad saint guy wrote: Jones - Ball use in space has improved but still panics under pressure and either coughs it up or smacks it on the boot for opposition zones to take freely.
Jones - Needs to be given some credit for the last qrt, he was put into Mcleod around 6 minutes in and then kept him DEAD quiet for the rest of the game. Pretty much took him out of the game which before that McLeod was getting the ball far to easily.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
makemytime
Club Player

just about goddard copping a tag...who was it?? i didn't know adelaide have decent taggers....

saintly
Saintsational Legend

regarding Jones.

he played on mccloud in the the last quater and pretty well cut him out. in fact MMM, and SEN both praised clinton jones for his efforts on Mcleod.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I thought Gwilt was quite good, again... Instead of not having the football smarts, i saw it as quite the opposite.. I thought he made good, quick, smart decisions...

Sure, he didnt get a hell of alot of it, but he worked hard, particularly in close, and provided great body stregth in the clinches...

Easily retained his spot IMO....

BallBanger
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:I thought Gwilt was quite good, again... Instead of not having the football smarts, i saw it as quite the opposite.. I thought he made good, quick, smart decisions...

Sure, he didnt get a hell of alot of it, but he worked hard, particularly in close, and provided great body stregth in the clinches...

:shock:

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:I thought Gwilt was quite good, again... Instead of not having the football smarts, i saw it as quite the opposite.. I thought he made good, quick, smart decisions...

absolutely

is becoming the third big forward we need and his hustle was great.

is a hard match up for the opposition

also just on Lenny, thought his work in the last quarter was telling and did a few significan things

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

absolutely

is becoming the third big forward we need and his hustle was great.

is a hard match up for the opposition

also just on Lenny, thought his work in the last quarter was telling and did a few significan things