New look Saints ready to deliver

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

New look Saints ready to deliver

Oh oh.... The media has started!!

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 25540.html

Interesting that it is Robert Walls singing our praises!!

Also, there is a good article on Farren:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews ... 25537.html

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

hmmm Robert Walls.....geez....he'll be off us next week if we lose....

Happy to have media but lets leave the "saints ready to challenge" hype out.....weve done that for 5 years......

Talk about Dogs, Cats, Hawks et al.......Im happy to just get the job done weekly and move on to the next.....beforeyou know it....its GF day.....and we are all BBQing in the car park knowing this year prelims arent what we are interested in.

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It spells out how Lyon has been going about fixing the flaws that had built up in the team, but which were blind to many when he took over.......in a systematic and thorough fashion.

Rubbished and ridiculed by many....his putting all the pieces together is now being recognised.

Ditto for his diligence in teaching the Saints how to play when the opposition have the ball. Play only attacking was the cry.......but the way we shot down and frustrated the Swans during the second and quarters was a thing of beauty.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Actually didn't mind it TBH. Not hyped at all.

Given their friendship, it actually gives a good insight into the recruiting decisions of the club.

I happen to fall into the optimistic group, and with 2 full seasons and a major list turn over... I reckon that 2009 is the year where everything might just gell.

Interesting to note that the so called "rejects" are all about the 22 yo mark when recruited.

Apart of course from the ruckmen. But in an era of strategies and plans, I can see why RL wanted to address this matter asap.

Still, many (one) will disagree about youthand the value of game plans. :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
python
Club Player

maybe the age just heard our cry for some positive articles toward the saints and decided to get out what they could?

It never fails to get me excited though, reading about our potential to be a challenger for a flag. No matter how many times i've seen it before

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Wallsy is a very mysterious man

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:Wallsy is a very mysterious man
Why?

I find his commentary ok.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I like he's commentary too.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I challenge anyone to find a negative article Walls has written about St Kilda since he was involved in the process that picked Lyon. He was a staunch defender of our team and our coach OTC last year, even when we weren't going so well. He's barely said a bad word about the Dogs since Eade was appointed either.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:I challenge anyone to find a negative article Walls has written about St Kilda since he was involved in the process that picked Lyon. He was a staunch defender of our team and our coach OTC last year, even when we weren't going so well. He's barely said a bad word about the Dogs since Eade was appointed either.
Oh, so that's it. Just because he was part of the panel?

MAybe he simply didn't go off half cocked like some of our supporters who wanted RL aked last year.

So what you're saying that he only writtes good things so that he won't get egg on his face?

BTW, Eade hasn't done too badly since appointed.

python
Club Player

[quote="vacuous space"]I challenge anyone to find a negative article Walls has written about St Kilda since he was involved in the process that picked Lyon. He was a staunch defender of our team and our coach OTC last year, even when we weren't going so well. He's barely said a bad word about the Dogs since Eade was appointed either.[/quote]

Well imo, Lyon really hasnt done a bad job at all, both him and Eade made the top 4 and prelims last year.
i for one cannot complain about that...

Quixote
SS Life Member

I think Walls can be insightful, engaging and occasionally prescient as a print journalist. Remember a great article he wrote mid-2005 about us - summed up things beaudifully.

But as a TV commentator - Pahleeaseee... spare me.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
sainters man
Club Player

How is what he said about Gilbert

"keep an eye on Sam Gilbert. He is going to be something special."

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Quixote wrote:I think Walls can be insightful, engaging and occasionally prescient as a print journalist. Remember a great article he wrote mid-2005 about us - summed up things beaudifully.

But as a TV commentator - Pahleeaseee... spare me.
A commentary is given. It can be in print or spoken.

As opposed to a commentator. :wink:

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:I challenge anyone to find a negative article Walls has written about St Kilda since he was involved in the process that picked Lyon. He was a staunch defender of our team and our coach OTC last year, even when we weren't going so well. He's barely said a bad word about the Dogs since Eade was appointed either.
I agree. He was a dog to us under GT and now has had us pegged for the flag since RL took over. Still i don't mind this article. represents what a lot of us here believe.

#1 Ryder fan
degruch
Saintsational Legend

sainters man wrote:How is what he said about Gilbert

"keep an eye on Sam Gilbert. He is going to be something special."
I dreamt he kicked 5 goals in this year's GF (3 in the last) to get us over the line the other night. I'm dreaming of football, and remembering the scores...my missus will be thrilled. :roll:

bigmicka
Club Player

Walls is the biggest Jinx in the media. Whatever he chooses turns to crap.

If he wants to do us some favors, pump up the tyres of the opposition each week. Let his curse work for us, not against us.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bigmicka wrote:Walls is the biggest Jinx in the media. Whatever he chooses turns to crap.
About to post the same thing.

We just got the kiss of death.

Didn't realise that in two years Lyon had blooded 8 young players (and recruited 7 others).

From reading this forum I would have thought that lyon hadn't blooded a single new player in two years.

Can anyone name the 8 "blooded" cause Mr Walls didn't.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
spert
Saintsational Legend

I get the impression that RL just wont play young guys until they develop their bodies up to suit his game plan, which involves close-checking, physical one-on-one play. This is a bit more obvious after Round 1, and Walls is probably right in his article. Some people on this forum speak like our list are all in the 30's, but I think you will find a lot of younger guys are creeping in when ready.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
bigmicka wrote:Walls is the biggest Jinx in the media. Whatever he chooses turns to crap.

Didn't realise that in two years Lyon had blooded 8 young players (and recruited 7 others).

From reading this forum I would have thought that lyon hadn't blooded a single new player in two years.

Armitage, Howard, Sweeney, Eddy, Geary, C.Jones, McEvoy, Allen

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Geary
Eddy
Jones
Armitage
McEvoy

These are the only recruits that I can name that have debuted under Lyon

degruch
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Justr a stab at it, so correct me if I'm wrong:

McEvoy
Allen
Ferguson
Geary
Eddy
Armitage
Howard

...now I'm struggling. Steven pops to mind, but not sure he's played an AFL game yet, only NAB Cup.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Justr a stab at it, so correct me if I'm wrong:

McEvoy
Allen
Ferguson
Geary
Eddy
Armitage
Howard

...now I'm struggling. Steven pops to mind, but not sure he's played an AFL game yet, only NAB Cup.
Once again, people only see what they want to see...

Did Walls say "blood" or "debut"?

Both completely different scenarios IMO.

EG: I'd include Gwilt in the "blooded" category.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

3 points I take from the article:

1) 8 blooded players in 24 months of coaching. Leads one to think we'll probably see 4 or so more this year, and it might be worth having some patience instead of panning the selection of members of that 8 (Jones, Geary) getting selected ahead of the untried Steven and Heyne.

2) 7 mature recruits/recycled players. The change here from our previous recruiting is philosophical rather than the fundamental shift Saintsational used to want... We used to happily recycle with the rule-of-thumb being under 25s. Now we want players with Premiership experience. I also note that he missed Farren Ray, who hasn't got this experience. That's just nitpicking though.

3) Rather than seeing this as any fundamental shift from Robert Walls in his opinion on the Saints in general (as pointed out above, Walls has predominantly been positive about the Saints since Lyon's appointment), the shift seems to be Walls is saying the rebuilding/retooling that Lyon has done to the list ought be ready to pay dividend now. He's saying rather than being dangerous, we're a contender, and ready to serve notice.

The other thing I'll note given the vein of the thread is that being on the panel that appointed Lyon probably has less to do with Walls support than Lyon's approach being in line with the reasons Walls supported the appointment. Lyon is a coach who's approach lines up with Walls view of footy, ergo, Walls supports the approach, and it follows from thatWalls believes in Lyon, not the other way around (I don't think anyone has said it is the other way around, but that's what I infer from some of the posts).

What I like is that Walls is putting together reasons that the Saints will be good rather than reasons that Lyon is good - the quality (or lack therof) of the coach only has value as a product of the whole. The article certainly leaves one with a good feeling.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote: Justr a stab at it, so correct me if I'm wrong:

McEvoy
Allen
Ferguson
Geary
Eddy
Armitage
Howard

Clinton Jones.

You're correct, Steven hasn't played yet.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford