Round 2 Side V Adelaide.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Round 2 Side V Adelaide.

St Kilda
B: Farren Ray, Jason Blake, Zac Dawson
HB: Jarryn Geary, Sam Fisher, Brendon Goddard
C: Jason Gram, Luke Ball, Nick Dal Santo
HF: Stephen Milne, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Schneider
F: Lenny Hayes, Justin Koschitzke, Sam Gilbert
Foll: Michael Gardiner, Clint Jones, Leigh Montagna
Int: Steven Baker, Andrew McQualter, James Gwilt, Steven King, ,
Emg: Colm Begley, Ben McEvoy, Robert Eddy

In: Hayes
Out: R Clarke (inj)

Adelaide
B: Graham Johncock, Rutten, Andy Otten
HB: Michael Doughty, Nathan Bock, Andrew McLeod
C: Nathan van Berlo, Scott Thompson, Patrick Dangerfield
HF: Brent Reilly, Trent Hentschel, Richard Douglas
F: Jason Porplyzia, Kurt Tippett, Chris Knights
Foll: Ivan Maric, Simon Goodwin, Tyson Edwards
I/C: Taylor Walker, David Mackay, Bernie Vince, Jared Petrenko
Emg: Jonathon Griffin, Myke Cook, Robert Shirley

In: Johncock, Thompson
Out: Scott Stevens (hamstring), Myke Cook
Last edited by St Fidelius on Thu 02 Apr 2009 6:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Terrific!!

I'm glad that they left Geary and Gwilt in the team.

And it's obviously fantastic that Lenny is coming back!!

Bewdy.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Buckets
SS Life Member

A good inclusion in Lenny but the crows welcome back a couple of good players themselves!.
IMHO i could see changes to that team before tomorrow night. No information just my opinion.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

While Thompson is a big inclusion for them I think Hayes cancels that out... Johncock on the other hand I'm not really all that fussed about... good player on his day but he is becoming far too inconsistent.

Stevens being out is huge for us, really robs them of an option up front...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

So we presume

In Hayes

Out Noone?

Before Im 85
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

What a terrible team!

It is basicly the same as last week's and we know what a shocking selection job that was.

Afterall, I recall a thread of multiple pages length decrying last weeks selections so this must be equally as bad? :roll:

santazzi
Club Player

Why are we so "scared" of this Thompson guy?.....is he not the same guy who completely lost the plot in one of the matches last year and costed them about 1000 fifty metres?......put Baker onhim and we may get 2000 fifty metres this time!!!!!!!!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:So we presume

In Hayes

Out Noone?
Sorry mate, I forgot to add those in, but I have edited them in now.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

good team, happy if the coaching staff want to back geary and make x press his claim via sandy.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:Stevens being out is huge for us, really robs them of an option up front...
They still have Hentschel, Tippett, Walker, Porplyzia, Douglas and Petrenko. It might not be a headline grabbing front 6, but if they win the battle in the middle, it could do the job.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:What a terrible team!

It is basicly the same as last week's and we know what a shocking selection job that was.

Afterall, I recall a thread of multiple pages length decrying last weeks selections so this must be equally as bad? :roll:
Maybe Ross' internet connection is down, and he couldn't log on before the selection meeting? :shock: :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote:Why are we so "scared" of this Thompson guy?.....is he not the same guy who completely lost the plot in one of the matches last year and costed them about 1000 fifty metres?......put Baker onhim and we may get 2000 fifty metres this time!!!!!!!!
Was it 1000 fifty metre penalties or just 1 50km penalty?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Stevens being out is huge for us, really robs them of an option up front...
They still have Hentschel, Tippett, Walker, Porplyzia, Douglas and Petrenko. It might not be a headline grabbing front 6, but if they win the battle in the middle, it could do the job.
You will rarely come across three key forwards as week as the Hentschel/ walker/ Tippet combo we will be facing this week.

Walker is a second gamer, Hentschel is playing his second game in three years and Tippet is still a long way off. They have no significant targets up front...

Porplyzia and Douglas are both very good players but they will really have to fire for them to kick enough goals IMO...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
Maybe Ross' internet connection is down, and he couldn't log on before the selection meeting? :shock: :wink:
must be. I emailed my selections through this morning and Ross obviously hasn't got that email.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
must be. I emailed my selections through this morning and Ross obviously hasn't got that email.
Ahhh... so you're the one that suggested that Steven, Eljay, Big Mac, Heyne, and Lynch should be given a run because we need more kids. :shock:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:You will rarely come across three key forwards as week as the Hentschel/ walker/ Tippet combo we will be facing this week.
It's rarely key forwards that kill us anyway. It's usually the small-to-medium types and midfielders running forward. I'm more worried about guys like Porp and Douglas, Edwards and Goodwin.

I'm not going to write of their talls though. They all have talent. I think they all stack up well compared to Heath Grundy. I'm not sure yet that shutting down Barry Hall is the achievement it used to be. If they get better delivery than the Swans did last weekend, they could do some damage.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Armoooo wrote:You will rarely come across three key forwards as week as the Hentschel/ walker/ Tippet combo we will be facing this week.
It's rarely key forwards that kill us anyway. It's usually the small-to-medium types and midfielders running forward. I'm more worried about guys like Porp and Douglas, Edwards and Goodwin.

I'm not going to write of their talls though. They all have talent. I think they all stack up well compared to Heath Grundy. I'm not sure yet that shutting down Barry Hall is the achievement it used to be. If they get better delivery than the Swans did last weekend, they could do some damage.
Good points - I do at least think the so called 'weakness" of their talls at least puts a little less pressure on fisher, Gwilts etc with respect to effecting spoils (as opposed to a great grab like a Pav/Browne.)

Your spot on re smalls....and we all remember Williams job last year....we dont like smaller mid type goal kickers.

“Yeah….nah””
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:

Yes but the emergence of Clinton Jones doing a great job on his tagging role last week on Mc Veigh we have a potential stopper....

I really don't give a F*** if Jones has little possessions as long as his opponent has little as well...

A great option for a tagger and a great job last week

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Yes but the emergence of Clinton Jones doing a great job on his tagging role last week on Mc Veigh we have a potential stopper....

I really don't give a F*** if Jones has little possessions as long as his opponent has little as well...

A great option for a tagger and a great job last week
... don't forget the fabulous BAker boy. 8-)

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I don't think we'll do a lot of tagging. Jones on McVeigh was an eyebrow raiser - given that McVeigh had tagged Dal last time out. It was a good move though as McVeigh is a very solid two-way player. I think Jones goes to McLeod or maybe one of their mids. Aside from that, I'd expect a lot more of the head-to-head we saw last week.

Gilbert probably gets Porp, Dawson and Blake will take some combination of their talls. Fisher could play tall or small. Baker probably gets Petrenko or Douglas. I think we have their measure, but that can change if they're getting good supply out of the centre. It will be up to Ball, Dal and Goddard to maintain last weeks effort if we're going to win.

HarveysDeciple

Big game this one.

Highly winnable, take an interstate game early in the year to set ourselves up.

Come on boys.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

be ready for shoddy umpiring. we are going to have to get our hands on the ball early to set the tone. adelaide if they get a run are hard to pull back.

we will win tonight

GO SAINTS

#1 Ryder fan
rexy
SS Life Member

Jones on McLeod is definately a possibility, either way I think we will play a defensive forward on him in a tagging role. Montagna has also done this kind of role in the past and Baker or Mini could also do it. We might need Baker down back though?

Think we will win if Ball Hayes Goddard and co can win their share of clearances and if Dal and Gramm run hard enough to get into good spots.

Maybe this year?