Gold Coast to target Riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Here's the deal, we win the next 2 premierships

Roo turns 28 and we send him to JC2, reload with the #1, #2, and #4th draft picks, unearth ourselves 2 Chris Judds and the next junior Roo and back up by winning our third premiership in a row

surely everyone agrees with that

Griggsy
SS Life Member

It's going take a big form slump from roo to justify this for me. Just dont see it happening unless we can noticably see roo pass his prime. Then it could be a win win, we get young talent and they get a leader.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Sad, sad, sad.

Already given up on this group, have we? Looking forward to the next generation? :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

this flowering gold coast side has the potential to be our worst nightmare come true....be afraid guys....

"Gold Coast fancied for first-year flag

April 2, 2009

THE new Gold Coast club will be better positioned to win a premiership than any other non-Victorian club from the season it enters the AFL, according to one bookmaker.

SportsAlive.Com has framed a market on the premiership prospects of all clubs in 2011, the year the new team enters the AFL.

No expansion club has won a flag in fewer than the six seasons it took West Coast to win in 1992, after it joined the AFL in 1987.

But the Gold Coast club has been rated a $15 sixth favourite for the 2011 flag, behind Carlton, Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs.

"They are the shortest odds of all the interstate sides," SportsAlive bookmaker Gerard Daffy said. "That may come as a shock to a lot of people, but when you consider the concessions they've been given they've obviously had a pretty big leg-up."

Gold Coast has the capacity to pre-sign 12 17-year-olds this year and will have seven of the first 15 picks in next year's national draft.

It also has priority access to Queensland players and will be able to sign up to 16 uncontracted players from other clubs.

Daffy said that AFL players would be keen to join them. "If you are an AFL player coming off contract, able to move to that place with a side that looks like it will be ultra-competitive you would be knocking on the door." AAP

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:this flowering gold coast side has the potential to be our worst nightmare come true....be afraid guys....

"Gold Coast fancied for first-year flag

April 2, 2009

THE new Gold Coast club will be better positioned to win a premiership than any other non-Victorian club from the season it enters the AFL, according to one bookmaker.
One day too late for April Fools. So, Gerard Daffy appears to be SportsAlives new work experience kid.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Of course the Gold Coast is going to target Nick Reiwoldt. Given the profile he carries, they'd be nuts not to. And yes, it MAY present the Saints with an interesting opportunity, given the scenario, they'd be nuts not to explore it. The AFL would love to make the team as immediately competitive as possible.

BUT

Targetting and signing aren't the same thing. Nor are exploring and trading. The AFL itself get's NO say.

Nick Reiwoldt has spent two years saying he's in no hurry to head back to Gold Coast. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise other than idle speculation.

At 28, Reiwoldt ought still be in his prime. We'll be closer to the end than the beginning, but assuming the Saints are still challenging the ladder leaders, you'd expect significantly more than a top 10 or even top 5 pick to excite the Saints. The view that it's better to be young than good seems to go around AFL circles an awful lot, but it's not a basis for trading away a captain in his prime.

And the AFL, for all their desire to make the Gold Coast succeed, has no leverage whatsoever. The Saints are not existing on handouts, are the team which drafted Reiwoldt and which he's played with ever since, and the AFL has no part in it.

My personal bet is Reiwoldt re-ups mid next year. I have no more basis for this theory than any one else throwing their thoughts around with phrases like "there is no doubt", but there it is. The entire reason this discussion can occur is because there is doubt.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
HarveysDeciple

If Riewoldt wins us a flag as skipper, I'll happily drive him to the airport :wink:

But I dare say if we haven't won one yet, he won't go anywhere. He's a man on a mission.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

If Rooey does go to GC17, will he play CHB??

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:this flowering gold coast side has the potential to be our worst nightmare come true....be afraid guys....
And I heard on ABC news this morning that GC17 are pushing the AFL to give them permission to negotiate with players currently under contract and playing with other clubs, regardless of whether that club agrees.
Surely they wont be given this freedom. Talk about asking for the lot!!
Might as well just give them a flag now.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:If Rooey does go to GC17, will he play CHB??
LOL! Post of the week! :lol:

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

HarveysDeciple wrote:If Riewoldt wins us a flag as skipper, I'll happily drive him to the airport :wink:

But I dare say if we haven't won one yet, he won't go anywhere. He's a man on a mission.

WTF is up with this? Many people here keep saying it .I dont get it. What....we win a flag and he is of no value to you anymore? Not interested in backing up and trying for another flag? Thanks roo, but now we dont give a s*** about you? Plain ridiculous! :evil:

Sobraz
SS Life Member

this may be the begining of what we often seeing in the NRL... players signing to new clubs with a season still to run on thier contract... Happens often rugby, with Falou being a big case in point for the Storm last year...

I personally hate this aspect and hope it never comes into the AFL.... But it seems the AFL through AD will do anything it takes to make sure GC17 are successful from day 1, even at the expense of the competitions foundations...

kaos theory
Club Player

WTF is up with this? Many people here keep saying it .I dont get it. What....we win a flag and he is of no value to you anymore? Not interested in backing up and trying for another flag? Thanks roo, but now we dont give a s*** about you? Plain ridiculous!
Agreed.

WTF would we want to trade him after winning a flag, don't we want to try to win another?

I can't understand why there are so many stupid comments on this whole GC17 saga.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
WTF is up with this? Many people here keep saying it .I dont get it. What....we win a flag and he is of no value to you anymore? Not interested in backing up and trying for another flag? Thanks roo, but now we dont give a s*** about you? Plain ridiculous!
Agreed.

WTF would we want to trade him after winning a flag, don't we want to try to win another?

I can't understand why there are so many stupid comments on this whole GC17 saga.
agreed

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
kaos theory wrote:
Agreed.

agreed
It's mandatory to leave your brain at the door when discussing GC17...just follow Dimwit's lead.