Unusual 'positive' from round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Unusual 'positive' from round 1

Nick Riewoldt took one mark and kicked no goals. How can this be a positive? Well most people, including myself, think that unless the big number 12 (and he seems to have got even bigger this year) takes his usual 10+ marks and kicks his usual 3 goals (and 3 behinds) then we will struggle to win.

But despite his low stats (not sure about what he was doing off the ball as I wasn't at the game but it was unusual to see him cramp) the forward line had some nice "run to" spaces in the last three quarters once we started to win the contested ball.

It will be interesting to see if there has been a tactics change. And can anyone remember Nick only taking one mark in a game? His opponent deserves a bit of credit I suppose.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Still reckon we struggled with him down.

The forward line was our major achilles heel last night. The defence and midfield were superb. but time and again we looked indecisive and unsure going inside 50

Stopping. propping, always searching for the perfect option until Sydney had 17 blokes inside our 50. Sam Fisher's quite comical refusal to kick it inside 50 when 30m in the clear in the second quarter that lead him to being pinged for running too far made me shake my head in wonderment.

We always seem to attack along the boundary, which just plays into the hands of flooding sides like Sydney..and plenty of others tnis year.

Mark my words, 12 goals will not win us the game next week unless its pouring rain.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

In racing terms "He will be better for the run" !!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Yes it was a positive that we managed without a big input by Roo.

I was a little bemused early in the game however that we practiced all pre season using Gilbert as a third forward, then abandoned it in the real stuff.

Anyway, as the game wore on, Gilbert became close to BOG and still almost kicked a goal, except Milne pinched it on the goal line.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

As I said to my dad on the way home.

Last night we won without our best defender, without our best midfielder and with our best forward not kicking a goal!

---> Still missing that third medium tall forward that draws a defender and creates space.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Roo did spill a heap of the pill last night, though Bolton has always played well on him. Again, without being an expert, I put it down to a lack of a pre season and Roo still having some rust in his joints to shake off which may well take a few more rounds.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

A big positive. No Roo and the team still finds a way to win. Don't forget the easy shots at goal missed by the likes of Milne (4), Joey. Gram & Roo.
Twelve goals could have easily been 16. Right on the coaches mark.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
eel33
Club Player

While Roo was rusty, and will be better for the run (assuming his legs come up ok this week), having now viewed the tape of last night, I still think that he did a huge amount of leading. This is what he always does. It's just that last night he wasn't as clean as he usually is, and our delivery really sucked at times, particularly earlier in the match. Too high, too short - hopefully our mids get it together quickly and hit the target more frequently from next week.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It all proves we need to find a quality Full Forward

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:It all proves we need to find a quality Full Forward
I like your avatar bob murray!!!! 8-)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yes it was a positive to win without Roo's help, but just how pathetic, insipid, "average", crap, or poor are Sydney?

Where does everyone this they will finish??

I reckon in the bottom 4.

You are only as good as your opposition allows you to be - is the mantra for our side in most games lately IMO.....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Yes it was a positive to win without Roo's help, but just how pathetic, insipid, "average", crap, or poor are Sydney?

Where does everyone this they will finish??

I reckon in the bottom 4.

You are only as good as your opposition allows you to be - is the mantra for our side in most games lately IMO.....
Or alternatively, how exceptional were the saints 8-)

Dawson 4 brownlow

Agree it was good to win with him playing poor.

To have anychance of a top 4 or better finish our 10th - 22 best need to improve by even just 10% and i think it can happen. Gilbo, ray, gards and dawson look like they can give a bit so fingers crossed for the rest of the season

Dawson 4 the brownlow
henno
Club Player

Spinner wrote:As I said to my dad on the way home.

Last night we won without our best defender, without our best midfielder and with our best forward not kicking a goal!

---> Still missing that third medium tall forward that draws a defender and creates space.
i think that schneider filled that void quite well last night, played the o'keefe type role, and i think that gilbert may go forward later on in the piece, when our backline is a little more settled.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

henno wrote:
Spinner wrote:As I said to my dad on the way home.

i think that schneider filled that void quite well last night, played the o'keefe type role, and i think that gilbert may go forward later on in the piece, when our backline is a little more settled.
After last nights performance why would anyone still want Gilbert to play forward.......

....This site masn't believe in defenders.....Everyone wants to play forward.

And going against my own advice - how about Raph Clarke for HHF....about the 188cm and plays tallish.

widereceiver
Club Player

One reason he might be considered as a forward...

He is a straighter kick for goal than some of our forwards, including our illustrious captain.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:This site masn't believe in defenders ... Everyone wants to play forward. And going against my own advice - how about Raph Clarke for HHF....about the 188cm and plays tallish.
i think it's because although our defensive game was exemplary for much of saturday night, our offensive game and foward structure still needs work.

as for raph, yes he could play there and possibly even hold down a key position.