Jack steven our best hope for rising star

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:I tell you what I wouldn't mind having the last two rising stars in our midfield...
Selwood I get, but Palmer? We alreay have a small, quick Western Australian who can't kick in our midfield. Everyone hates him. I honestly think that Palmer would start on the bench if he were at St Kilda.

I think the age requirement diminishes the award somewhat. Harry Taylor wouldn't have won it last year, but it would have been interesting to add his name to the discussion. There's at least three age ineligible players who look primed for relatively big years this year. I don't see how they're any less 'rising stars' than 18- and 19-year olds. Sam Fisher (05) and Jason Gram (06) were too old to be nominated but have become fine players.

An award for best new player under-21 limits the award to about 2 or 3 real candidates. I'd rather see a team of young players with no games requirement or an individual award with no age requirement. I can't see how Bradd Dalziell is less worthy than Jarryn Geary. It's a good award, but I think it could be better.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Eddy is ineligible, I'm not sure about Geary,he has played 10 games so I think he might actually be eligible...
Yes under the age limit required but has played 18 matches :oops:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Armoooo wrote:I tell you what I wouldn't mind having the last two rising stars in our midfield...
Selwood I get, but Palmer? We alreay have a small, quick Western Australian who can't kick in our midfield. Everyone hates him. I honestly think that Palmer would start on the bench if he were at St Kilda.

I think the age requirement diminishes the award somewhat. Harry Taylor wouldn't have won it last year, but it would have been interesting to add his name to the discussion. There's at least three age ineligible players who look primed for relatively big years this year. I don't see how they're any less 'rising stars' than 18- and 19-year olds. Sam Fisher (05) and Jason Gram (06) were too old to be nominated but have become fine players.

An award for best new player under-21 limits the award to about 2 or 3 real candidates. I'd rather see a team of young players with no games requirement or an individual award with no age requirement. I can't see how Bradd Dalziell is less worthy than Jarryn Geary. It's a good award, but I think it could be better.
Palmer would certainly get a game for us. Very good young player. Do you remember how we fell in love with Sam Gilbert and that was in his second year and he didnt get close to rising start. This guy is in his first year and will only get better. As for the comment everyone hates him, where does that come from.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Palmer would certainly get a game for us. Very good young player. Do you remember how we fell in love with Sam Gilbert and that was in his second year and he didnt get close to rising start. This guy is in his first year and will only get better. As for the comment everyone hates him, where does that come from.
the comment regarding "everyone hating him" is about CJ I'm guessing. And to be honest, both butcher the ball. Palmer is great but needs to do a scotty west and start handballing it more. Needs some good players around him also.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith