Saints and the Media

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Saints and the Media

Is it my imagination or are the Saints practically being ignored by the media so far this year..I'm getting pretty tired of the ridiculous amount of publicity which two loser teams in Carlton and Richmond are getting on a daily basis. It's like not a peep is coming out of Moorabbin/ Seaford..do we still have active media and membership personnel??

Loyal
Club Player

we have a new head media man yes.
and i think we are playing our cards close to our chest at this stage.
let the scum and the pretenders of the comp talk all they like, it wont do them any good.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

What ever team took on Cousins was always going to get plenty of media attention, thats why I glad its not us. The less said about us the better.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Loyal
Club Player

the point is valid however given that we need to make a grand final before anyone notices us, the relative lack of attention is warranted.
the newly promoted media man is in many ways very good at what he does.
people love bagging the saints and our one flag .. i tell them to look no further than fremantle if they want to see a team that will not ever do anything.
this team will win a flag if not this year, then next, or the one after.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

the lack of media coverage we are getting will only continue as we have a rubbish television draw - i wouldn't have it any other way either why do we want the media following us around all year?

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Loyal
Club Player

:lol: good point fonzie

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Here we go again...

Listen up, y'all:

You put in the hard yards with the media and it's a relationship that will inevitably bear fruit.

Thankfully, Ross Lyon has realised he's been a dill with the press for two years and has finally grown a pair to deal with them. Good on him - the rewards for that will come when he needs them.

But, sadly, as soon as the Saints became a less-than-hot ticket, our media coverage was always going to dwindle because we didn't safeguard against it. We frequently agitated against the media; so when it's their turn to whack us, they might do it. So we need to make sure in the future, we can make our club a lot more media-friendly.

Does it make us win more matches? Not directly.

Does it help us sign more members? Hell yes. It helps generate excitement that some of our lazier supporters require.

Does it help us sign up more sponsors? Absolutely. More than anything else.

Does media coverage ultimately generate money for the club through the above two channels? Unquestionably so.

So yes, before the lambs bleat about how it doesn't matter, it does. And it doesn't require much. Just decent people skills, less cloak-and-dagger and hard work, etc. You'll cop a few tabloid sensations, but so what? Tomorrow's chip-wrapping.

But if you see Jeld-Wen enough times on the Saints top, well, who will your buy your windows and doors from? A name you can trust, surely?

:wink:

=============================

Someone on BigFooty posted this, which I thought was interesting:

North Melbourne will hold an open media session today at Arden Street at 10.00am.

The following players will be available for interview:

Liam Anthony, Matt Campbell, Michael Firrito, Josh Gibson, David Hale, Lachlan Hansen, Leigh Harding, Brent Harvey, Ed Lower, Hamish McIntosh, Scott McMahon, Drew Petrie, Sam Power, Daniel Pratt, Ben Ross, Brady Rawlings, Adam Simpson, Josh Smith, Lindsay Thomas, Scott Thompson, Gavin Urquhart, Benjamin Warren, Shannon Watt and Daniel Wells.

I can assure you there will be some good pieces in the major metros tomorrow as a result. Shows they've got nothing to hide and the players will be more comfortable in the media as a result.

Some might say the Kangaroos have to do this because of their stature. Maybe we could do the same.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote:we have a new head media man yes.
and i think we are playing our cards close to our chest at this stage.
let the scum and the pretenders of the comp talk all they like, it wont do them any good.
good to hear the positions been filled-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

From the age last week:
It is understood Clarkson and Thompson, the coaches of last year's two grand finalists, pushed for two pre-game interviews per network (Channels Seven, Ten and Foxtel) and not three, while clubs such as Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide and St Kilda indicated a willingness to submit their coaches to more than the AFL demanded.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saints and the Media

It goes to show NAB cup brings attention to a club. After last year they all had us winning a flag and we were everywhere. We embarrassed them all last year now we are paying for their ignorance. It might work in our favor if the team doesn't believe the hype and go in hard with something to prove.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

it's the paris hilton syndrome

carlton are pretty with all their new draft picks so go follow them :roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
sainter35
Club Player

It's certainly true that we haven't got the same publicity as other teams which I agree makes for a nice change but as Evertonfc has pointed out you actually do need that to attract potential members/sponsors and appease current sponsors.

Let's hope it's something we receive in the coming weeks after getting off to a good start because you know we'll certainly get our fair share of the media headlines if we don't.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Solar wrote:it's the paris hilton syndrome

carlton are pretty with all their new draft picks so go follow them :roll:
so what is the difference between "them" and "us from a few years back"?
positive publicity is good, sells memberships, exposure buys sponsorship.
bad publicity fosters "US Vs Them" mentality.

publicity is good, full stop.

Seeya
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

And again on the Footy Show tonight - they are giving in-depth reviews of every clash, then when the finally get to the saints game, it's "i suppose probably swans will win" by most of them, and one says "maybe saints" before they move right along with no discussion whatsoever about the game!

It's pitiful and annoying!

Whilst it is a good thing that we aren't being talked up like 2008 all over again, but show some respect! The media seem to be rating us a notch above Melbourne! It's ridiculous!! I REALLY hope we can come out of the blocks on Saturday night and show them that we are a team in contention in 2009!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

win and we will be covered.

that simple.

“Yeah….nah””
GreatNo9s
Club Player

so who's the new media man/woman ?

Who is the best number 9 for the Saints ?
pluggerspig

We're not being totally ignored - the Herald Sun is running our team poster tomorrow!

sainter35
Club Player

thirty-seven!? wrote:And again on the Footy Show tonight - they are giving in-depth reviews of every clash, then when the finally get to the saints game, it's "i suppose probably swans will win" by most of them, and one says "maybe saints" before they move right along with no discussion whatsoever about the game!

It's pitiful and annoying!

Whilst it is a good thing that we aren't being talked up like 2008 all over again, but show some respect! The media seem to be rating us a notch above Melbourne! It's ridiculous!! I REALLY hope we can come out of the blocks on Saturday night and show them that we are a team in contention in 2009!
Does anybody actually rely on The Footy Show for the footy discussion?

Teflon has it right. If we win, they'll talk about us. In fact if we lose the game tomorrow night that we're heavily favoured to win we'll probably become the source of much discussion but let's hope that won't happen.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

sainter35 wrote:If we win, they'll talk about us.
I bet they'll talk about how the second-ugliest side drowned the ugliest, though...

:?:

Anyway, Caro put "St Kilda's Woes" as her top talking point after Round 12 in the Crystal Ball prediction thing, so I'll be curious to see if she was right.

Assuming she was talking about on the field, of course.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it's such a bad thing to fly under the radar, the first few rounds anyway. Who cares if no-one rates us just yet, let's just go about it...

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

boy are we everywhere this week

http://www.saintscentral.com.au/Message ... osts&t=968

although some of it is 'usual' match day info-- ie coaches on radio- good to see they are all getting involved though.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107