Sean 'doing sprints' Dempster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Loyal
Club Player

Sean 'doing sprints' Dempster

after a knee has made a tremendous recovery.
look, one would think that he is running at about 75%.
and that in three or four weeks time he will be close to 90%.
by round five i would think that he would be putting his hand up.
that's just my opinion, but he looks good.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

he's a different type of cat......so you never know....was never going to miss 12 months......not our sean.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Loyal
Club Player

may just now need weights and the condition put back into it, but yeah.
next step for him would be the lateral squarework in a few weeks time.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

You can run as fast as you like in a straight line after a reco.
It's the twisting and turning that is the problem.

Look at Cadel Evans. Did an ACL in a crash. Being a cyclist and only pedaling in a straight line, didn't have a reco and is racing in Europe at the moment.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

I really rate Sean Dempster - he's never going to be a matchwinner, but is an honest type, definitely in our best 22 when fit, and is the type of player that all clubs need. He's dependable, consistent and rarely gets beaten one on one. I look forward to him pressing for senior selection again hopefully by around Round 10-12

The Saints are coming!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:I really rate Sean Dempster - he's never going to be a matchwinner, but is an honest type, definitely in our best 22 when fit, and is the type of player that all clubs need. He's dependable, consistent and rarely gets beaten one on one. I look forward to him pressing for senior selection again hopefully by around Round 10-12
yes he is going to be a match winner...he has the capacity to go both tall and small against quality forwards

considering who we apparently want to get free him and max are major in's and will take one of the three main forwards...coupled with goose i just creamed myself

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:You can run as fast as you like in a straight line after a reco.

Look at Cadel Evans. Did an ACL in a crash. Being a cyclist and only pedaling in a straight line, didn't have a reco and is racing in Europe at the moment.
What happens if he turns?

Loyal
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:You can run as fast as you like in a straight line after a reco.
must you make something that is clearly a positive into a negative?

look, i said he was doing spints, which is the truth. most guys at this stage after a reco are standing still. whilst the truth of the matter is that the load baring will be assessed, once the knee has become strong the lateral strength returns relatively quickly and usually within a month.

say what you like BS, the truth is that we are lucky to have him in the position that he is in and so soon after a reco. his position is that he is running at almost full tilt in a straight line and while it may take some time for him to develop the strength laterally he will play this season which is more than can be said for many people whom have played the game and gone down with a knee.

this guy is a tough cookie make no mistake. he is a great defender and importantly, he is smart. he has done very well to get to this point so soon after surgery and he can take pride in the fact that people care what stage recovery he is at.

do you have anything positive to say BS?

Loyal
Club Player

for those interested he clocked 3.8 secs today on a twenty metre run-through when fulltilt is approx 3.3/3.4

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Man this is great news.

I think there a lot of Saints fans that underestimated how much of a loss he was to our chances last year.

If we can add Sean, Goose and Baker to our backline we are looking heaps better down back in 2009.

shmic_s
Club Player

Good to hear he's coming along well. Definately in our best 22. Makes the backline look like a much stronger unit.

Loyal
Club Player

one would really find oneself looking forward to seeing how rapidly he improves over the next three or four weeks.
it may take eight or nine weeks.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Loyal wrote:most guys at this stage after a reco are standing still.
While it's good that he's started running again, I don't think it's particularly abnormal. It's been several months since he did the injury. I'm not sure when he had the reco, but the knee is usually strong enough after 4 months to start running again. He'd still be at least a couple of months away from having full range of motion I would think. It's still going to be a long while before we see him play football again. It's good to see he's on track though.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Loyal
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:
Loyal wrote:most guys at this stage after a reco are standing still.
While it's good that he's started running again, I don't think it's particularly abnormal. It's been several months since he did the injury. I'm not sure when he had the reco, but the knee is usually strong enough after 4 months to start running again. He'd still be at least a couple of months away from having full range of motion I would think. It's still going to be a long while before we see him play football again. It's good to see he's on track though.
yeah true. he may still be a couple of months, however, he is not a kid and the game is not beyond him.
in the next three or four weeks (now that he is running [and running well]) he will undergo the tests and it will take him a further three weeks to prepare.
one would think that he may be right from about round seven onwards.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Loyal wrote:

look, i said he was doing spints, which is the truth. most guys at this stage after a reco are standing still. whilst the truth of the matter is that the load baring will be assessed, once the knee has become strong the lateral strength returns relatively quickly and usually within a month.

say what you like BS, the truth is that we are lucky to have him in the position that he is in and so soon after a reco. his position is that he is running at almost full tilt in a straight line and while it may take some time for him to develop the strength laterally he will play this season which is more than can be said for many people whom have played the game and gone down with a knee.

this guy is a tough cookie make no mistake. he is a great defender and importantly, he is smart. he has done very well to get to this point so soon after surgery and he can take pride in the fact that people care what stage recovery he is at.

He is no further ahead than 90% of players after reco. If players werent able to sprint 100% by now after a reco then there has usually been a problem.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'm with Bernard & Plugger on this. Whilst Sean is looking good doing sprints and the like, reality suggests that he still has a long long way to go. From my limited knowledge of knee recos I would suggest that if he played any footy in 2009 it would be a bonus, a risky bonus but still a bonus. Compare his knee to BJ's and you would think he wouldn't be playing competative footy inside 12 months from the date of the injury (Sept). BJ got back in just short of 11 months.

I would support the conservative approach of having him start pre-season in September in preparation for a massive 2010 !!

super dooper
Club Player

Loyal wrote:

He's merely stating the FACTS - nothing negative about what he said - he would still be a long way from putting his hand up for selection.

Ill be more optimistic when i see him doing some competitive drills with contact and testing his agility

sainter35
Club Player

There is too much negativity around here Loyal but I'm afraid the posters above are right in pointing out that running in a straight line is perfectly normal at this stage of his rehab. We'll have a better idea when he does start twisting and turning. It's still good news that things are going to plan at this stage.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I was not being negative about Sean's progress, just stating facts.

I clearly remember seeing BJ doing the same at training after his reco.

We need Dempster back and I hope it all goes well for him. No need to rush. Just make sure all is well.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Loyal
Club Player

sorry for the accusation Bernard Shakey
i was just a bit emotional about seeing him run this week.
however sainter35 is right and there tends to be some negativity from time to time.
he may not be back for the collingwood game but he WILL play this year.

mick13
Club Player

Joined the 'underrated defender' ranks last year.

Was very impressed with him.