Big Ins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Big Ins

With Max potentially back in round 3 there is also the chance that Matt Maguire could be soon to follow should he get a good 4 to 5 weeks at Sandy under his belt without incident and a return to form.

If this is to happen the look of the backline is going to be radically different with our 1st pick FB and CHB. How this changes the rest of the team is also pretty interesting.

Who would move out of the back line and where would they go?

Raph forward??

Sam F to the mids or forward??

Who would go out??

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Zac Dawson, Full Back
Fisher midfield,
BJ wing

Quixote
SS Life Member

I'd like to see Max, Goose and Zac as our full-time back Marshall's.

Surround these with a combo of Baker, X Clarke, R Clarke, Blake, S Fish (rotating where needed) and Dempster, and we're looking fine.

Emphasis goes onto Jason Gram to find another possie.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
PJ
SS Life Member

I think it's crucial to look at the best defences and see the body types. Geelong have big mature bodies that's why I think and agree that even with Matt's return we need Zac as well.

X is too light for the backline - perhaps a sweeper from half back but not on the last line.

The Max & Matt spine is our best option IMO but I guess we have to wait and see what Zac can do.

Blake and Raph may even find himself playing cameos forward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Why do we seem to want to move our best backman forward in Chips. Hawthorn who won the flag actually moved there second best player to the backline in Hodge. We need Chips to continut to play his role as it is vital. He may get a run or two in the mid but he will play in the backline all year. Also when Max returns and unless Zac shows very good form he will go. Not sure a side can carry to stppers who dont really hurt opposition on the rebound.

uncle joe
Club Player

Pretty good situation to be in . Too many good players .
Gives good depth , and thats what makes a team strong .
Keeps pressure on everybody to hold their positions .

A positive sign for 2009 !

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why do we seem to want to move our best backman forward in Chips. Hawthorn who won the flag actually moved there second best player to the backline in Hodge. We need Chips to continut to play his role as it is vital. He may get a run or two in the mid but he will play in the backline all year. Also when Max returns and unless Zac shows very good form he will go. Not sure a side can carry to stppers who dont really hurt opposition on the rebound.

Yep don't get that either

JABBER
Club Player

Big Ins

Depending on who we playing match-ups My settle six would be
S Fisher M Hudgton J Blake S Gilbert M Maguire X Clarke
If x Clarke struggles down back you could play Ray, Gram, Baker and even J Steven down there on there small forwards Watch out for A Smith
rumours having playing at full forward as well on the wing so why dont we play him down back as well back A Smith for the dreamteam

trevor barker
spert
Saintsational Legend

Our backline is a bit shakey and will struggle this year. Max is the backbone, but is another year older and less likely to be able to carry injuries. Goose needs to prove himself from a fitness point of view by a lot of game time without injury in the VFL before he can play at senior level. Gilbert would need to improve 100% over his form last year. I can only hope Dawson will stand up as a backman and I think Kozi will need to spend a lot of time down back this season. Not enough big agile bodies at the moment

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Our backline is a bit shakey and will struggle this year. Max is the backbone, but is another year older and less likely to be able to carry injuries. Goose needs to prove himself from a fitness point of view by a lot of game time without injury in the VFL before he can play at senior level. Gilbert would need to improve 100% over his form last year. I can only hope Dawson will stand up as a backman and I think Kozi will need to spend a lot of time down back this season. Not enough big agile bodies at the moment
I'm much more worried up forward.....our backline should be fine, it was excellent last year, and even if it drops off a bit it should be good enough.

Problem is up the other end once we move into our attacking half....same old story of lack of midfields that CONFIDENTLY kick for goal!

PJ
SS Life Member

Why do we seem to want to move our best backman forward in Chips
IMO Sam is a link man he sets up plays, generates run and can hit leads. His area is anywhere between half back and half forward. IMO to call him a backman is relegating him to the old punch and negate player (ala Max) - as a matter of fact he's not even that flash at that. All players have their role when defending but this is not a feature of Sam's game. He's your "can hurt" player. As such he can play anywhere between HB & HF depending on the match ups. When we play teams that struggle in the front half e.g. Adelaide I'd prefer to see him moving through our half forward line hitting up Riewoldt or Kosi simply because he's more damaging and they have defenders that play tight (Rutten & Bock).