Victim or Tool? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Victim or Tool? !!

I had another look at the 2009 fixture today and started thinking;

Are we victims of the AFL for past sins? or

Are we being used as a tool/lever by the AFL in their war with The Dome?or

Are we being punished because the AFL think we are crap?

Lots of home games against interstate clubs, which normally means below average to poor crowds

Lots of Sunday day/twilight games which are usually poor drawing games

Part of the Monday Night experiment

I think our av crowd in 2008 was just over 30,000. I can't see that hapening with this fixture

I do hope that Westaway, Nettlefold and Co go in real hard for a decent draw for 2010 !!

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

We're being punished by Channel 7 and Channen Ten because the football world thinks we're crap....well, boring at least.

The AFL fixture is no different to any other TV schedule - put the shows people want to see (Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood) in the prime time slots, and the rest where they can fit.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It's a horror draw from a blockbuster/membership building/strong timeslot perspective.

After round 12, we have only THREE matches NOT on a Sunday - two of which are interstate!

But in terms of a winning-games-of-football draw, it's a winner. There are no excuses.

We should be at least 3-1 after round four, having played three travelling teams at home.

I mean, hell, we should go in favourite for all bar three matches until we face Geelong in R14. And those three matches (Adel/Port away + WB at Docklands) are extremely winnable matches.

If we're fair dinkum about having a crack in 2009, we should to be no worse than 11-3 or 10-4 by that game. We'll need to be, because after Geelong, we've got West Coast (away), Adelaide, WB, Sydney (away), Hawthorn, Essendon and North in the next seven matches.

Still, it's a ripper playing draw.

No Fremantle away. No Brisbane away. Adelaide and Port away early in the season. Hawthorn at Aurora.

I've got us pegged for a 15-7 season (losing in R2, 5, 6, 7, 14, 18 & 19). That even allows for a 'dodgy' loss to Collingwood in R7, so we should be looking at 16-6 surely...if we're genuine.
Last edited by evertonfc on Thu 19 Mar 2009 7:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:It's a horror draw from a blockbuster/membership building/strong timeslot perspective.

After round 12, we have only THREE matches NOT on a Sunday - two of which are interstate!

But in terms of a winning-games-of-football draw, it's a winner. There are no excuses.

We should be at least 3-1 after round four, having played three travelling teams at home.

I mean, hell, we should go in favourite for all bar three matches until we face Geelong in R14. And those three matches (Adel/Port away + WB at Docklands) are extremely winnable matches.

If we're fair dinkum about having a crack in 2009, we should to be no worse than 11-3 or 10-4 by that game. We'll need to be, because after Geelong, we've got West Coast (away), Adelaide, WB, Sydney (away), Hawthorn, Essendon and North in the next seven matches.
We must be atleasy 11-3 after round 14... even in the next 7 matches I would hope that we would win atleast 4 out of those 7...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

and we don't get to Hawthorn or Geelong till after they get their big guns back mid season -- both now have a number of injured players. being out for 4- 5 rds

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
milney044
Club Player

Well when you look at our membership numbers you can't exactly blame them, it seems they predicted low numbers. Unless the draw is the reason for low membership numbers, personally i think many have jumped off for the way we play. I guess it's harder to accept our style when comparing it to 2004-5, we really need to get the season off to a flier or these numbers aren't going to increase.

I don't think a 3 point win or whatever the margin was against Sydney last year is going to be enough, a decent win with a lot of run and goals is going to have to be the exception and not just for round 1 either.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Loyal
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:It's a horror draw from a blockbuster/membership building/strong timeslot perspective.

No Fremantle away. No Brisbane away. Adelaide and Port away early in the season. Hawthorn at Aurora.

I've got us pegged for a 15-7 season (losing in R2, 5, 6, 7, 14, 18 & 19). That even allows for a 'dodgy' loss to Collingwood in R7, so we should be looking at 16-6 surely...if we're genuine.
we'll beat adelaide, WBD, port and collingwood.
and we'll beat WCE aswell if we sell the geelong game.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I don't know about the conspiracy theory.

Win and they will watch, it's that simple.

The Saints have a huge following that isn't just represented by membership and these supporters seem to appear when we are winning. I think they are called 'fair-weather supporters'.

The higher than normal membership over the past five years has been as a result of the promise that was the 'the most talented list' and also our winning ration of 2004 and 2005. The numbers have started heading south again but I suspect that if we have a good year those 'fair-weather' supporters may be allured into membership by the prospect of a premiership.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The free to air networks don't like the negative game plan. Ugly football.

They loved us a couple of years ago. Free flowing open football.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
PJ
SS Life Member

The higher than normal membership over the past five years has been as a result of the promise that was the 'the most talented list' and also our winning ration of 2004 and 2005. The numbers have started heading south again but I suspect that if we have a good year those 'fair-weather' supporters may be allured into membership by the prospect of a premiership.
Funny thing is though we finished no better than either of those years last year.

It's got more to do with how we are talked down in the media or not talked about at all. If people in the media start bagging you the public will believe it. The only way to change that perception is to win the flag for the saints as we've been around the mark for the last 5 years.

I'd be interested to know if we have a bottoming out point (in terms of members numbers) if things got worse and we didn't make the finals.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

How can you argue with that?
We are so focused on what WE can do, without figuring on our competitors. Yes our list has dropped off in the last 3 years, but the comp has dropped further, except for two.

The comp has dropped off markedly since 2005 IMO, so much so, it makes the Cats look like a once in a generation team, and gift wrapped a premiership to the Hawks.

The Dogs are not as good as us, and ageing badly, so are the Crows and Swans. The Pies are thereabouts, but have a poor spine, and worse midfield than us. The Blues will improve, but just aren't good enough. The Tiges will self implode and the Power & Lions will be on the fringe.
The Roos, Bombers, Dockers, Eagles & Demons just don't have the talent.
The Cats and Hawks are strong but not unbeatable, especially with the Hawks poor pre-season and the Cats long overdue for an injury.

Its not always about our list or abilities, sometimes its about taking the premiership whenever the opposition falls over around you. The Hawks did it in 2008, the Cats in 07, the Crows in 97 & 98, the Bombers in 93, the Hawks in 91 and the Pies in 90. It happens more regularly than you think...

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

As Everton says, from a playing perspective, it's a very good draw (maybe one interstate trip too many).

However, football is a business these days, and clubs with maximal prime-time exposure in prime broadcasting slots, are more likely to attract bigger crowds, more memberships etc., thus creating more revenue. We are at the other end of the scale for this.

The Saints are coming!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dunno about it being a really good draw.

We often play CRAP footy against interstate teams at the Dome.......very ugly wins and some terrible losses.

I'm not at all comfortable with the first 5 rounds to say the least.

We are a poor team at the start of the past several seasons, and no doubt we will struggle in Adelaide early.

I'd re delighted if we are 3 wins after round 5, but suspect it will only be 2.

......please can I be proved wrong!!!!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

from a post on big footy.....

brad
BigFooty Member
This is a Veteran user. Respect.

St Kilda's Fixture
Has any other Victorian team had anything like this before? Don't think I'd like it.

Rd 1 V Sydney
Rd 2 V Adelaide
Rd 3 V West Coast
Rd 4 V Fremantle
Rd 5 V Port Adelaide

Their first 5 games are against interstate sides.

2 trips to Adelaide and 3 other games against (low drawing) W.A teams and Sydney at the Dome.

They play their last interstate opponent Brisbane in Rd 9 too.

So that's 3 Victorian teams in the first 9 games (one being Collingwood on a Monday night). "

...we are being bent over by tha afl......so that collo can take it up his rear end...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ...imfho that is......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:from a post on big footy.....

brad
BigFooty Member
This is a Veteran user. Respect.

St Kilda's Fixture
Has any other Victorian team had anything like this before? Don't think I'd like it.

Rd 1 V Sydney
Rd 2 V Adelaide
Rd 3 V West Coast
Rd 4 V Fremantle
Rd 5 V Port Adelaide

Their first 5 games are against interstate sides.

2 trips to Adelaide and 3 other games against (low drawing) W.A teams and Sydney at the Dome.

They play their last interstate opponent Brisbane in Rd 9 too.

So that's 3 Victorian teams in the first 9 games (one being Collingwood on a Monday night). "

...we are being bent over by tha afl......so that collo can take it up his rear end...... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ...imfho that is......
Do we want to win games or get big crowds. I want win games and the crowds will come. The draw is excellent on who we play once and twice.

saintly_safes
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:The free to air networks don't like the negative game plan. Ugly football.

They loved us a couple of years ago. Free flowing open football.
Couldnt agree more.When we were playing exciting attacking footy the afl loved us & so did the media , oh how the wheel has turned.In saying that we were probably one of the reasons that negative tactics have become so popular , because we were so attcking & our foward line was so potent other teams had to revert to flooding to be competetive. Lets hope we can again become the hunted & not the hunters.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

We can't beat all the hoopla about
"Benny and the Judd"
and the fixture reflects what will attract the viewers.

Batnoe

milney044 wrote:Well when you look at our membership numbers you can't exactly blame them, it seems they predicted low numbers. Unless the draw is the reason for low membership numbers, personally i think many have jumped off for the way we play. I guess it's harder to accept our style when comparing it to 2004-5, we really need to get the season off to a flier or these numbers aren't going to increase.

I don't think a 3 point win or whatever the margin was against Sydney last year is going to be enough, a decent win with a lot of run and goals is going to have to be the exception and not just for round 1 either.

I would imagine our memberships would grow if we arent on tv.

the old, oh cant see us on tv we may as well get a membership should work....

We cant get new members though (never been a member) as they wont see us play on tv

in many ways it is our own fault as we did push hard in 04 and 05 and we did get the blockbuster games- something we had never had and now we have lost it. its our own fault no one elses (when i say our fault i mean the club, not the supporters)