Who do we elevate?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Who do we elevate?

We have two long term injuries, Dempster and Allen.

SO who do we elevate from the rookie list?

I think Zac Dawson has to be one, not sure who else.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I think Zac Dawson as well.

And maybe they will not rush any other and just see how they preform in the VFL

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

No use elevating anyone unless they are going to play that week.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

AS has been stated many times..theres not point elevating anyone unless they are as good as certain to play senior footy the next week

Complete waste of money having them on full senior wages running around for Sandy

Agree Dawson looks as good as certain to be upgraded...but yes the other spot will have to be earned and none of the other rookies have gone even close to warranting senior selection in Round 1

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure that Dawson is up to it but I'd be willing to back the clubs decision. IMO Tungutalum will be elevated in 2009, when is another story.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
RBnW
Club Player

saint66au wrote:AS has been stated many times..theres not point elevating anyone unless they are as good as certain to play senior footy the next week

Complete waste of money having them on full senior wages running around for Sandy

Agree Dawson looks as good as certain to be upgraded...but yes the other spot will have to be earned and none of the other rookies have gone even close to warranting senior selection in Round 1
Dawson could be the one elivated for Allen, but Miles has earned himself a chance from what I took away from Princess Park, he is quick and can play a role in the backline

Our best is yet
to come......
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I'm not sure that Dawson is up to it but I'd be willing to back the clubs decision. IMO Tungutalum will be elevated in 2009, when is another story.
Tungutalum does look exciting but far too slender ATM, I'm even tipping that he will start off at the Sandi reserves

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Why would you elevate Dawson, when he is not in our best 22 available players?

We should only elevate a rookie when we have to, not just for the sake of it.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Rocko, kicks goals.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Why would you elevate Dawson, when he is not in our best 22 available players.
He could be the 45th best player on our list, but if he can free up Fish to play in the middle, as well as hold his own defensively, then it's worth it.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Why would you elevate Dawson, when he is not in our best 22 available players.
He could be the 45th best player on our list, but if he can free up Fish to play in the middle, as well as hold his own defensively, then it's worth it.
but from what ive seen he wont

blake is much better in that role and seems like he will play key back espeically with goose looking a small chance of early season game time

and when goose does come back blake can godo something else playing a roving role, taking a key back if the tall plays tall or the bench

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I'm pretty sure Dawson has already been elevated due us only have one player on the veterans list.

Ross Lyon has said Dawson is a likely starter for Round 1.

Luke Miles would be the only other who would be chance to be elevated in the place of Dempster or Allen, but only if we were hit by further injuries to key defenders.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:I'm pretty sure Dawson has already been elevated due us only have one player on the veterans list.

Luke Miles would be the only other who would be chance to be elevated in the place of Dempster or Allen, but only if we were hit by further injuries to key defenders.
where did lyon say that dawson is a likely starter for round 1. Not suprised as he allows chips to go into the midfield until goose gets a month of football at sandy under his belt.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
We should only elevate a rookie when we have to, not just for the sake of it.
EXACTLY

My guess is that it would cost up to $40,000 to elevate a rookie for the mandatory 8 weeks. That sort of investment requires a decent return !!

sax
Club Player

Solar wrote:
Beno88 wrote:I'm pretty sure Dawson has already been elevated due us only have one player on the veterans list.

where did lyon say that dawson is a likely starter for round 1. Not suprised as he allows chips to go into the midfield until goose gets a month of football at sandy under his belt.
If He wasn't, he will after tonight!
Need some one to play Fullback!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:
saint66au wrote:AS has been stated many times..theres not point elevating anyone unless they are as good as certain to play senior footy the next week

Dawson could be the one elivated for Allen, but Miles has earned himself a chance from what I took away from Princess Park, he is quick and can play a role in the backline
I think Miles looks ok also...time will tell I guess.

“Yeah….nah””
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

We seem to be looking for a defensive player to be elevated from the rookie list. I would be looking for a forward hopeful. We don't have a lot down there except for the captain and Milne. BJ may be able to fill a forward spot but he will be thrown the back half when the site hits the fan. We need another forward. Let's get adventurous.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Adventurous?

Maybe I missed something, but wasn't throwing Gilbert up in the forward line during the NAB "practice" matches exactly that?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Right on the button ohwhenthesaints! Gilbert has definitely been groomed for a forward roll this preseason.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Is he going to play forward now that Max is injured ?
How adventurous are we going to get. ls Sam going to play back or maybe we go for something out of left field.
THE COACH HAS BEEN TALKING ABOUT HOW STRONG OUR BACK SIX IS. Is he going to rob this strength by playing Gilbert and Fisher in the forward half.
Get real.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Who said anything about Fisher in the forward line?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who do we elevate?

[quote="3rd generation saint"]We have two long term injuries, Dempster and Allen.

SO who do we elevate from the rookie list?

I think Zac Dawson has to be one, not sure who else.[/quote]

2 long term injuries places for temporary rookie promotion AND 1 NOMINATED ROOKIE place = 3

There is no need to promote anyone until they are about to selected in the initial 25 (22 + 3 emergencies).

Dawson maybe the first if he is required to play full back while Max is injured.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

How many posters have fiddled withe idea of Fish playing down forward. Don't tell me you haven't fantasied about it ? I'm certain the coach has.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Longwayfromhome wrote:How many posters have fiddled withe idea of Fish playing down forward. Don't tell me you haven't fantasied about it ? I'm certain the coach has.
Mate there's a fair bit of "fiddlin" goin on after what was a practice match for nothing.

IF we play like that during the season proper then Id suggest fiddling may be the only thing that keeps us awake at games.

“Yeah….nah””
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Re: Who do we elevate?

ace wrote:2 long term injuries places for temporary rookie promotion AND 1 NOMINATED ROOKIE place = 3

There is no need to promote anyone until they are about to selected in the initial 25 (22 + 3 emergencies).
The rookie nominations happen before R1 and last for the duration of the season.

Yeah nah pleasing positive