Miserly St Kilda copies Hawthorn coach Alistair Clarkson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

Sorry if this has been posted already

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon has quietly mastered his own version of "Clarko's Cluster", squeezing the life out of opponents in the pre-season. The well-drilled Saints have allowed rivals only 31 forward entries on average in their three matches.

St Kilda conceded only 33 entries against the Brisbane Lions at Carrara, 36 against the Western Bulldogs at Visy Park and a miserly 25 against Richmond in Shepparton on Friday night.

Teams average 50 entries during the home-and-away season, underlining the extent of the "big squeeze".

The Saints have conceded only 23 goals in three games.

Disciplined zoning has pressured opponents into mistakes and the Saints have preyed on turnovers.

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson had great success with rolling zones or clusters last season.

Lyon is adamant flooding has been consigned to the past, but has clearly been working on the rolling zone.

"People talk about flooding. I don't think flooding exists any more," Lyon said.

"Maybe on one situation - when a team gets a free kick or a mark outside the arc and everyone will roll back to try and fill the holes.

"If you don't, they (opposition) just lead and block and kick too well. Other than that, everyone's trying to stop it in their front 50 and midfield."

That is code for rolling zone and the Saints, at this stage, look as if they have cracked it.

St Kilda is also handballing more, using it 28 more times by hand than by foot against the Tigers.

"We just over-used the hands a little bit," Lyon said. "I'm a kick merchant. I like kicking.

"Whatever the result, you've still got to have more effective kicks than the opposition."

Lyon said the lift in handball was a result of zoning sweeping across the AFL.

"You get tease space - it's not quite kick space," he said. "It invites a bit more handball . . . to try and release a kicker.

"It (handball) is more suited to the space you've got to work through."

Lyon said the Saints had come to the conclusion that winning the 50-50 ball would be imperative.

"Stoppages are going to be critical . . . then go quickly," he said. "There is no real zone set-up at stoppages. To beat Hawthorn you need a good clearance stat."

St Kilda is clearly shaping up well for Round 1.

The club also has stars in form - including a streamlined Luke Ball, who is sparking genuine excitement.

"Luke Ball is putting his hand up and saying I can run again and I'm quick again and I've had a really good summer," Lyon said. "That can only be good for us."

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

you've managed to' forecast' a story published in 2 hours :)

thanks

edit:
you wait for hours for them to update after a game- Must be bored down there- they are putting stories up early :?
Mark Stevens | March 11, 2009 12:00am
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 10 Mar 2009 10:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
AP Erebus
Club Player

I would argue that we have been doing this "cluster" pushing back into space thing since RL took over.

The cluster is just this years buzz thing, just like the cats pace and handballing, swans flooding and the lions aggresively strong midfield.

It'll pass.
The club also has stars in form - including a streamlined Luke Ball, who is sparking genuine excitement.

"Luke Ball is putting his hand up and saying I can run again and I'm quick again and I've had a really good summer," Lyon said. "That can only be good for us."
Very very nice to hear :D :D

savatage
SS Life Member

That Luke Ball comment from Ross Lyon got me moist!

Batnoe

the whole thing makes me moist

our defence is good anyway but if our midfield can play hard and defensive then that is all good. Having some defenders play in the middle will be great with long kickers Goddard, Gram and Fisher in there will be great

we just have to get our conversion right and we will go a long way

the fact that everyone no longer believes in us (externally) is the best thing as well

mick13
Club Player

As long as we win, I dont really care how bad for footy our gameplan is.

Legendary
Club Player

Geez, whatever you say about Ross Lyon ... he cleary has a very deep and analytical knowledge of the game and of coaching and tactics.

Totally agree with his comments about winning clearances ... Hawthorn are very very beatable when you win the footy from them around the packs. It's their weakness, despite Mitchell and Hodge.

We have proved it when we've beaten them in the last couple of years.

Hence why a fit Luke Ball is ABSOLUTELY critical, and hence why the result in the Prelim might have been quite differen had he been playing.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

Seems like a waste of time naming players in positions anymore.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Geez, whatever you say about Ross Lyon ... he cleary has a very deep and analytical knowledge of the game and of coaching and tactics.

Totally agree with his comments about winning clearances ... Hawthorn are very very beatable when you win the footy from them around the packs. It's their weakness, despite Mitchell and Hodge.

Hence why a fit Luke Ball is ABSOLUTELY critical, and hence why the result in the Prelim might have been quite differen had he been playing.
win the hard ball and use it well and you can beat ANY team. I like his explanation of wh handpasses are all the vogue right now. Interesting that at training that are focusing on hitting players up through small gaps in the zone.

No matter what the opposition those defensive efforts in the midfield are a fantasti sign. Score better when we enter the 50 and anything is possible.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Geez, whatever you say about Ross Lyon ... he cleary has a very deep and analytical knowledge of the game and of coaching and tactics.

Yep been saying this for some time even though some on here STILL hanker for just "load up the fwd line lets attack, attack, attack"......long after it stopped working.......

2009 will tell us all about Ross Lyon - IF he gets a decent injury run then I expect we'll see that consistency of performance from a well drilled team - technically the guy knows the game.

Geez....just imagine IF Ball/Goddard turned it on this year in the mould of Ablett/Bartle?...

I too was shattered when Ball went down last year - he was most impressive in and under and agree with Lyon ....to beat Hawks you gotta win clearances....they smashed us here in the finals...that loss had stuff all to do with rolling zones.

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

reminder
Ross will be on SEN tomorrow morning- ~ 7.20
according to saintscentral

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Yep been saying this for some time even though some on here STILL hanker for just "load up the fwd line lets attack, attack, attack"......long after it stopped working.......

2009 will tell us all about Ross Lyon - IF he gets a decent injury run then I expect we'll see that consistency of performance from a well drilled team - technically the guy knows the game.

Geez....just imagine IF Ball/Goddard turned it on this year in the mould of Ablett/Bartle?...

I too was shattered when Ball went down last year - he was most impressive in and under and agree with Lyon ....to beat Hawks you gotta win clearances....they smashed us here in the finals...that loss had stuff all to do with rolling zones.
Losing Ball and Dempster so late in the season really upset our balance going into the finals. Like I've said in another post, our win against the Hawks during the home and away was significant. Geez throw Baker back into the side and I not only get moist but I moan with pleasure.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

"Stoppages are going to be critical . . . then go quickly," he said. "There is no real zone set-up at stoppages. To beat Hawthorn you need a good clearance stat."
Got it... right there. Quick breaks from the centre (going forward NOT out wide)are THE key to beating this zoning, cluster, maul, whatever you wanna call it.

Enter Luke Ball :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
markp
Saintsational Legend

How many sleeps?

I reckon we're in for a cracker of a season.

yipper
SS Life Member

markp wrote:How many sleeps?

I reckon we're in for a cracker of a season.
Absolutely. Reckon this will be one out of the box actually!! We have slipped under the radar very nicely for a change. Luke Ball, fit and firing again - moist. very moist.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Glen Luff of Champion Data has seen our last 2 practice games (to collect statistics) and has commented after both (on 3AW) that our zoning was so tight that it totally frustrated the opposition. Combine that with Lyon's criticism of our forward use last week and you have definite signs of optimism.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

If we're winning all and good that's the main thing....however one is not filled with excitement about the brand of football this club plays anymore,nor most for that matter. This year looks to be more snore.
Sorry,it's just the way I feel

Bring back the Lockett era
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Miserly Herald Sun does Saints no favours

THE Herald Sun's AFL sports columnists slid further in their credibility rankings today among St. Kilda supporters and AFL fans with another "beat-up" St. Kilda article titled "Miserly Saints copy Clarko".

Despite St. Kilda coach Ross Lyon complaining about the over-use of handballing in his team and conceding that it was the result of changes across the AFL, writer Mark Stevens still managed to use this as a basis for a call of plagiarism and mean-spiritedness against the Saints.

The last NAB Challenge match report for the Saints did not even mention them in the article heading - even though they won the game. The report was dominated by Richmond player Graham Polak's return to the AFL after a serious head injury. The week before was even more lamentable, a 350-word article devoted to the losers, with the victors - St. Kilda - mentioned by name just once.

Recent articles on the club, the majority of which are written by Stevens, include "Riewoldt knee doubt", "Goose could be cooked", and "Saints will do Polak no favours". If there is an opportunity to paint St. Kilda in a disparaging light, it seems the Herald Sun will jump at it.

Senior columnist Mike Sheahan presumably holds the club in such contempt that he will not comment on them. His only recent writings regarding the team were a spotlight on former player Aaron Fiora that warranted two separate articles. The only current squad member to win any column space recently, barring reports or rumours of injury, is second-year player Ben McEvoy for his efforts defending against the Victorian bushfires last month.

The Saints are apparently so boring by comparison to Collingwood that they have received less than a quarter of the Magpies' 20-plus articles' worth of coverage in the last two weeks.

The Herald Sun's Mark Stevens could not be reached for comment.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:Miserly Herald Sun does Saints no favours

THE Herald Sun's AFL sports columnists slid further in their credibility rankings today among St. Kilda supporters and AFL fans with another "beat-up" St. Kilda article titled "Miserly Saints copy Clarko".

Despite St. Kilda coach Ross Lyon complaining about the over-use of handballing in his team and conceding that it was the result of changes across the AFL, writer Mark Stevens still managed to use this as a basis for a call of plagiarism and mean-spiritedness against the Saints.

The last NAB Challenge match report for the Saints did not even mention them in the article heading - even though they won the game. The report was dominated by Richmond player Graham Polak's return to the AFL after a serious head injury. The week before was even more lamentable, a 350-word article devoted to the losers, with the victors - St. Kilda - mentioned by name just once.

Recent articles on the club, the majority of which are written by Stevens, include "Riewoldt knee doubt", "Goose could be cooked", and "Saints will do Polak no favours". If there is an opportunity to paint St. Kilda in a disparaging light, it seems the Herald Sun will jump at it.

Senior columnist Mike Sheahan presumably holds the club in such contempt that he will not comment on them. His only recent writings regarding the team were a spotlight on former player Aaron Fiora that warranted two separate articles. The only current squad member to win any column space recently, barring reports or rumours of injury, is second-year player Ben McEvoy for his efforts defending against the Victorian bushfires last month.

The Saints are apparently so boring by comparison to Collingwood that they have received less than a quarter of the Magpies' 20-plus articles' worth of coverage in the last two weeks.

Absolutely CLASSIC!!!! And true!! Mate, you should post this in the Herald Sun's Comments section below the article!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Is the Age still one of our sponsers? If they are I think you'll find that has something to do with it.

Quixote
SS Life Member

thirty-seven!? wrote:

Absolutely CLASSIC!!!! And true!! Mate, you should post this in the Herald Sun's Comments section below the article!

Yep put it online mate. Sick of the HUN'S s***.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

So even though the article is positive some are not happy because they are saying he has copied another coach. Who cares. If we were to win a flag I dont give a stuff if they say we were lucky, or they didnt even mention us in the article but somehow I think if we keep winning they will write about us.

Was no one around in 2004?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:So even though the article is positive some are not happy because they are saying he has copied another coach. Who cares. If we were to win a flag I dont give a stuff if they say we were lucky, or they didnt even mention us in the article but somehow I think if we keep winning they will write about us.

Was no one around in 2004?

god you love journos.......is one screwing you or something??????? :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:Is the Age still one of our sponsers? If they are I think you'll find that has something to do with it.
That doesn't excuse or justify a lack of fair and balanced reporting. We have a right to it, even though it is rarely a reality.

Most media journalists belong to the Australian Journalists Association, a division of a trade union called the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA). Members are required to follow a code of ethics. "Report and interpret honestly, striving for accuracy, fairness and disclosure of all essential facts. Do not suppress relevant available facts, or give distorting emphasis. Do your utmost to give a fair opportunity for reply."

Think we could mount a case?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Is the Age still one of our sponsers? If they are I think you'll find that has something to do with it.
That doesn't excuse or justify a lack of fair and balanced reporting. We have a right to it, even though it is rarely a reality.

Most media journalists belong to the Australian Journalists Association, a division of a trade union called the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA). Members are required to follow a code of ethics. "Report and interpret honestly, striving for accuracy, fairness and disclosure of all essential facts. Do not suppress relevant available facts, or give distorting emphasis. Do your utmost to give a fair opportunity for reply."

Think we could mount a case?
Journalists could belong to the Goodie Two Shoes Association and it wouldn't change the way they report because the fact remains that they work for companies that are in the money making business. Offcourse they are compromised.