Best st kilda victories

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

Best st kilda victories

i remember st kilda beating hawthorn back in the 1970s at princess park with 15 fit players after half time that year hawthorn won the flag it might been 1976

Beting footscray the last game of 1985 was also good our only win for the year

Plugger kick 10 7 the day we beat carlton at moorabbin on sos

trevor barker
stinger
Saintsational Legend

grand final win in 1966 for me.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sax
Club Player

stinger wrote:grand final win in 1966 for me.....
If I could've been there....YES!
Best game I've been to 2005 QF vs Crows at AAMI :D

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

1997 - final rnd win away to port to take the minor premiership - was there stuck but screaming amongst the port members - my uncle has never invited me since!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Beting footscray the last game of 1985 was also good our only win for the year
Umm..nope...we beat Fitzroy twice as well

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Snakeman66
Club Player

sax wrote:
stinger wrote:grand final win in 1966 for me.....
If I could've been there....YES!
Best game I've been to 2005 QF vs Crows at AAMI :D
This is my favourite as well. Was probably the only supporter in the top deck of the members stand to stand and cheer when the final siren went. Felt like i was naked from the looks I got. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
ctqs
Club Player

Wasn't born in 66. For me it's the 1997 prelim. The 1992 final against Collingwood was particularly special, being the first finals win in my living memory.
My favourite home and away is Rd 2 1989 v Carlton - 20 years this year! :shock: Plugger kicked 10.7 on SOS, his last inside the final minute, and we beat them by less than a kick.
Collingwood by a point, MCG, 80,000 people, Queens Birthday Monday 1992 was a cracking win, too.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
markinUSA
SS Life Member

As well as the 1997 prelim, there was that game where Plugger almost single-handedly won us the game against Syndey, in Sydney, after we were down by a lot. Great win.

(Can't remember if that was the Danny Craven game, or not, but I think it may have been).

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
ctqs
Club Player

Peter Caven

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Beating Collingwood by 8 goals at Moorabbin, circa 1970. Allan Davis kicked 10.

1971 Preliminary Final against Richmond on their home ground.

The TS40 goal which beat Brisbane at the Dome!

JABBER
Club Player

Best st kilda victories

sorry we beat fitzroy twice in 1985 alot of great victories so far i was 10 years old back in 1976 .i think it was round 12 against hawthorn when they knocked out a couple of our players and peter bell starred by memory
Also The win against Carlton at moorabbin in 1978 rnd 22 was a great game i remember they filmed cop shop that day at the ground

trevor barker
stinger
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:Peter Caven

yep...and yes it was...came from 47 points down at 3/4time...oh the joy the joy...sin city morons were stunned beyond belief......the ensuing week took the gloss and joy out of our win though.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
yipper
SS Life Member

Plenty I can recall - the earliest would be the elim final against the Bombers in 73' where George Young cut loose off a hff and tore them a new one. A stirring comeback against the Tigers (again at Waverley) in I think 74 or 75 where we had 1 goal on the board at half time and were down by plenty. We stormed home on the back of a solo effort by Glen Elliott in the centre and George Young again off the flank. The 97' prelim was pretty special, the 2005 final against the Crows was also pretty special. There have been heaps of high moments watching the Saints over the years..

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

For donimance and for the pleasure of the win.

Last years final against Collingwood!!!!

It wins hands down as the most exciting and stirring win in recent memory.

Notable others: Essendon Rnd 22 and Hawks last year as well.

The common thread - We all stood and left our voices at the Park!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Round 13, 1962 V S. Melb at the Lake Oval. At three quarter time we were 3 goals 9 behinds to the Swans 9 goals 9 behinds. I said three Hail Marys (I was ten at the time). We kicked 8 goals 5 behinds in the last quarter to their nil! It was the last time religion worked for me.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

must add harvey's 350th vs west coast when they were all but unbeatable - i actually hoped we'd rest him and play his 350th at home to give us a chance for a win! Had me jumping up and down more than any other game i've seen!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
milney044
Club Player

Rd 2 2004 against bombers. They tried to intimidate us physically and mentally and we stood up to them. We didn't lose our cool and we beat them comfortably on the score board.

It's probably a stand out because if a team did that to us now i think we'd crumble. Lets hope that changes. I guess it helps when you have a guy like Aaron Hamill running around, highly underrated was he.

Rd 22 2005 is an obvious one, the final in the wet against the swans 2004 was fantastic, as was beating collingwood last year, ah so much fun.

A nice win in the 2005? season against the doggies at the G, Brett Voss did a brilliant run down tackle in the middle that effectively won us the game.

There's a couple that haven't been mentioned.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

milney044 wrote:Rd 2 2004 against bombers. They tried to intimidate us physically and mentally and we stood up to them. We didn't lose our cool and we beat them comfortably on the score board.

It's probably a stand out because if a team did that to us now i think we'd crumble. Lets hope that changes. I guess it helps when you have a guy like Aaron Hamill running around, highly underrated was he.

Rd 22 2005 is an obvious one, the final in the wet against the swans 2004 was fantastic, as was beating collingwood last year, ah so much fun.

A nice win in the 2005? season against the doggies at the G, Brett Voss did a brilliant run down tackle in the middle that effectively won us the game.

Are u serious underrated I loved Hamill but he was on 600k a year for playing 3 or 4 games.... overrated... he was no doubt a gun but wow u can't say underrated.

The game against brisbane at TD with Schwarze pulling the trigger is very memorable...

milney044
Club Player

I can and will say underrated. I'm not talking in terms of pay, that was a mistake by the club. He was underrated in terms of work rate, 1%ers, taking one for the team. His presence on the field made the players stand taller, ask Robert Harvey. He protected our players and intimidated the oppostition. Since he has left no one else has done this and it has cost us big time, no one else has that tough, intimidating presence we need.
It's no secret that our team is soft. It's never too late to change and i hope it does this year.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
yipper
SS Life Member

milney044 wrote:I can and will say underrated. I'm not talking in terms of pay, that was a mistake by the club. He was underrated in terms of work rate, 1%ers, taking one for the team. His presence on the field made the players stand taller, ask Robert Harvey. He protected our players and intimidated the oppostition. Since he has left no one else has done this and it has cost us big time, no one else has that tough, intimidating presence we need.
It's no secret that our team is soft. It's never too late to change and i hope it does this year.
Interesting in that game you mentioned - vs Ess in 2004, I recall Kevin Sheedy afterwards declare that Hamill was BOG in his mind because of the way he protected the young saints players all day. He was an intimidating presence whenever he played.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
bethb7
Club Player

Last years semi against collingwood was the best win for mine nothing better than beating them and when they were so cocky too :), I was there and in great seats so all round a good night
Harvs 350th was a great win too.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
HarveysDeciple

mightysainters wrote:
milney044 wrote:Rd 2 2004 against bombers. They tried to intimidate us physically and mentally and we stood up to them. We didn't lose our cool and we beat them comfortably on the score board.

Are u serious underrated I loved Hamill but he was on 600k a year for playing 3 or 4 games.... overrated... he was no doubt a gun but wow u can't say underrated.

The game against brisbane at TD with Schwarze pulling the trigger is very memorable...
How do you know Hamill's salary?

and up until 2005 he averaged 19 games a season...It was only mid 05 it went pear shaped.

Not sure player's salaries are publicly known.

Hamill when fit was probably our most important player.

robbie muir
Club Player

Growing up in the 70's and one game sticks out in my mind more than any other. Round 22 against Carlton 1978. We had to beat the blues and we needed Fitzroy to beat Geelong for us to make the finals. We did our bit smashing Carlton but Fitzroy didn't beat Geelong.

It was a fantastic game with nearly 40,000 cramming into Moorabbin. The line to get in nearly reached the bowling club that day with many not getting in till 1/4 time.

The hit by Robbie Muir on Dennis Collins in the last quarter is unforgetable.

We had a fantastic team that year that included Barker, Sidebottom, Hunt , Young , Muir , Ditterich, Perovic, Duperouzel, Sarau, Greene, Okeefe etc.

Unfortunately quite a few left at the end of that season and the rot started from there and continued to 1986.

yipper
SS Life Member

robbie muir wrote:Growing up in the 70's and one game sticks out in my mind more than any other. Round 22 against Carlton 1978. We had to beat the blues and we needed Fitzroy to beat Geelong for us to make the finals. We did our bit smashing Carlton but Fitzroy didn't beat Geelong.

It was a fantastic game with nearly 40,000 cramming into Moorabbin. The line to get in nearly reached the bowling club that day with many not getting in till 1/4 time.

The hit by Robbie Muir on Dennis Collins in the last quarter is unforgetable.

We had a fantastic team that year that included Barker, Sidebottom, Hunt , Young , Muir , Ditterich, Perovic, Duperouzel, Sarau, Greene, Okeefe etc.

Unfortunately quite a few left at the end of that season and the rot started from there and continued to 1986.
That 1978 team was quite possibly THE most physically intimidating team ever to play VFL/AFL footy. They were also brilliantly talented and well balanced. We just got spooked by the hysterics from the Essendon pres after that spiteful clash at Moorabbin. Could have gone all the way. Also had a brilliant young ruck rover by the name of Trevor Barker play in that side.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Queens birthday win against Collingwood at the MCG when Sheldon berated Davenport, who then went on to kick the winning goal with a brilliant snap from the forward pocket (right in front of where I was sitting).

Craig Davenport, a real enigma, made the impossible look easy, but the easy looked impossible for him.

Great talent, not enough ambition.