Best st kilda victories

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

harveys 350th at Subi. was there, and like everyone with 5 mins to go i thought it was gone. but we kicked the last 3 and on the score board had an easy win.
absolutely amazing game to be at

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Not the best but exciting none the less was the Essendon game last year needing to win by about 100 to secure 4th. And because Adelaide whinged so hard about it.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:harveys 350th at Subi. was there, and like everyone with 5 mins to go i thought it was gone. but we kicked the last 3 and on the score board had an easy win.
absolutely amazing game to be at
im ridiculously jealous

watching that game half tanked in my room jumping around riding all the bumps...

heaven

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Snakeman66 wrote:
sax wrote:
stinger wrote:grand final win in 1966 for me.....
If I could've been there....YES!
Best game I've been to 2005 QF vs Crows at AAMI :D
This is my favourite as well. Was probably the only supporter in the top deck of the members stand to stand and cheer when the final siren went. Felt like i was naked from the looks I got. :shock: :shock: :shock:
yeah me too.
i was at our footy club, the only guy in a saints guernsey surrounded by crow maniacs......listening to em bagg Harves saying he was to old.
then he just cut em up.........
ahhhh, smuggness is grand

older saint
SS Life Member

Probably 1997 prelim v north as the consequences of hat win were a dream I never thought i would see, although turned to a nightmare.

Equal second Harvey v Adelaide 2005 final, 1992 final v collingowwod when HArvey embarassed McGuanne and at Moorabin v Carlton Plugger v Carlton.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

ctqs wrote:Wasn't born in 66. For me it's the 1997 prelim. The 1992 final against Collingwood was particularly special, being the first finals win in my living memory.
My favourite home and away is Rd 2 1989 v Carlton - 20 years this year! :shock: Plugger kicked 10.7 on SOS, his last inside the final minute, and we beat them by less than a kick. Collingwood by a point, MCG, 80,000 people, Queens Birthday Monday 1992 was a cracking win, too.
My most memorable as well. I was actually at that game and standing behind the goals where he kicked it ( actually I was always behind the goals when he played as we always swapped ends every quarter).

It still blows me away how he snatched that mark over the top of him from behind and made it look so easy.

BallBanger
Club Player

robbie muir wrote:Growing up in the 70's and one game sticks out in my mind more than any other. Round 22 against Carlton 1978. We had to beat the blues and we needed Fitzroy to beat Geelong for us to make the finals. We did our bit smashing Carlton but Fitzroy didn't beat Geelong.

It was a fantastic game with nearly 40,000 cramming into Moorabbin. The line to get in nearly reached the bowling club that day with many not getting in till 1/4 time.

The hit by Robbie Muir on Dennis Collins in the last quarter is unforgetable.

We had a fantastic team that year that included Barker, Sidebottom, Hunt , Young , Muir , Ditterich, Perovic, Duperouzel, Sarau, Greene, Okeefe etc.

Unfortunately quite a few left at the end of that season and the rot started from there and continued to 1986.
Agree..this is the best i felt after a game...Carlton were flag favourites and we knocked them off their perch and they never recovered after missing the double chance...Fitzroy only kicked 3 goals in perfect weather down geelong..
You forgot to mention Gellie in your list of players...he won our b&f that yr and dominated this game with a hand in most goals...

The first 2 elimination finals at waverley 73-74? we thrashed essendon both times young was simply saintsational

hotdish
Club Player

I think this thread has been done before, but here goes:

v Geelong at Kardinia when Hocking flattened Harvey. a few goals down against the wind at 3/4 time and we managed to win.

v Adelaide at AAMI stadium, 1st qualifying final where harvey dominated in a qualifying final

v Hawthorn in Barry Hall's last game for the club. Pretty stunning comeback with a weak team, coming back in time on to steal the match.

v smashing Sydney at the SCG circa 98? by 100 points. Sziller kicked 6 or so.

any win at Subi v WC is gold.

I'm sure i've missed a heap...

loris
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:grand final win in 1966 for me.....
me too stinger.....and the sweetest thing of all was to do it to the pies by one solitary point....pure bliss.

only blot on the day was too see the majority of the Saints running around the boundary waving the vfl premiership cup in collingwood jumpers...

thank heavans that stoooooopid practise no longer happens.

so hopefully my second best win (that i'm yet to see) will be the whole Saints team doing a lap of honour in the tri-colour holding an afl premiersship cup.....pleeeeeaaaase soon sainters.

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

Games that we went to???

v Carlton 1995

10 goal win, mil hanna knocked out by keogh GREAT DAY!

v Lions 2004

What a game, beating the lions at full strength up and coming saints!

v Crows 2003

Dont know what it was but to see a young side smash the crows who were top 8 at least i dunno showed signs that this group would be good. Although last half fade out still a great day saints fans were pumped!!

NAB CUP GRAND FINAL 2004
Great win at that time to win any silverware great but gave us a 1-0 against the cats then.

BURKES send off 80 points v tigers