With 21 days till round 1, where does our pre-season sit?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:One thing about last night, which will impact this year, is the fact we went in the centre corridor last night. Could be Leigh Tudor's influence.
If that is the case it will be the single most satisfying thing this year!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

We've learned that footy starved fans and media continue to read far too much into preseason :)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Sam23
SS Life Member

We learnt that we need another quick, good user of the ball in the middle.

Hopefully Jack Steven is that man

Goddard.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Best side in '09

B: Gilbert, Hudghton, R.Clarke
HB: Gram, Blake, S.Fisher
C: Montagna, Hayes, X.Clarke
HF: Dal Santo, Riewoldt, Schneider
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Heyne/Lynch
Foll: King, Ball, Goddard
Int: Baker, Gardiner, Ray, Armitage/Geary/Connors/Begley/Steven

saintly_safes
Club Player

IMO Weve learnt that our foot skills havent improved , we are still playing a defensive - negative style of footy, we will stuggle againt sides that move the ball quickly. To be honest things seem much the same as last year, will probably win more than we lose but more or less the same old, same old.Just finished watching the Geelong - Collingwood game. Collingwood are probably just ahead of us & Geelong made them look like a school boys team.Geelongs skill level is that far above ours (especially under pressure) its hard to believe that 4 years ago we were on a par if not better than them. How did we let that gap get so big in 4 years?Who do we blame? The recruiting staff ? The fitness Staff ? The coaches? The players?The AFL? The window may not be shut but at present its not letting in much fresh air

matrix
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote: its hard to believe that 4 years ago we were on a par if not better than them. How did we let that gap get so big in 4 years?
sad huh...wasnt that long ago we touched em up in the NAB cup

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

yes watching the Cats tonight I coluldnt help but think.....

imagine dropping out of the 8....just for 1 year.....and being blessed with a midfielder that comes in, straight away has an impact at senior footy and tonight when the games IN THE BALANCE racks up clearance after clearance and finsihes the night with 10 clearance (I think Collingwoods whole team only had 14 at one stage)

Has any of our current mids EVER gotten 10+ clearances in a game?

Luck is an amazing thing....Geelong lucked out big time with Sellwod.

I still hate them and their coach (who nowadays does his best "Im no sook..." except...watch hi occasionally (and sadly its only occasionally) when they lose......out comes the dummy.....

“Yeah….nah””
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

mmmm the geelong onball brigade.
I got howled down for it, but when I think about the hawks/geelong onballers, the reason they seem to be successful is what I believe to be their ability to "do it all". They can be the in/under grunts, win contested ball, receive the outside ball, run with ball pace and finish. And did I mention Goals.
Selwood stats last night were impressive, so many contested balls, tons of clearances, scored, he did it all. In the meantime Son of God, doesnt rest on the bench, he rests in the f/pocket.

Seeya
matrix
Saintsational Legend

that our disposal is shocking in close 50/50 balls and creating space seems to be still non existent.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:yes watching the Cats tonight I coluldnt help but think.....

imagine dropping out of the 8....just for 1 year.....and being blessed with a midfielder that comes in, straight away has an impact at senior footy and tonight when the games IN THE BALANCE racks up clearance after clearance and finsihes the night with 10 clearance (I think Collingwoods whole team only had 14 at one stage)

Has any of our current mids EVER gotten 10+ clearances in a game?

Luck is an amazing thing....Geelong lucked out big time with Sellwod.

I still hate them and their coach (who nowadays does his best "Im no sook..." except...watch hi occasionally (and sadly its only occasionally) when they lose......out comes the dummy.....
I know this is an old topic but sheesh selwood looks like a young luke ball. Maybe a little btter in open play but that ability to read the play and make his disposal count is just awesome. I guess I do wonder "what if" ball had never had his injuries......

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I do not think Selwood has great disposal....a good Ball winner who has a very similar game to a 2003-2005 Luke Ball - a good allrounder....helps that he is their #4 mid......Ablett, Bartel, Corey

Ball and Hayes have both had more than 10 clearances on a number of occasions.....and are up there with the following as the best clearance player in the AFL....regularly in the top 5 for clearance averages

Kirk, Judd, Mitchell, Black, Watson, Haselby, Ablett, Bartel, Foley, Tuck, Cross, Cooney, Kerr

We lack ball carriers....

Solar
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I do not think Selwood has great disposal....a good Ball winner who has a very similar game to a 2003-2005 Luke Ball - a good allrounder....helps that he is their #4 mid......Ablett, Bartel, Corey

Ball and Hayes have both had more than 10 clearances on a number of occasions.....and are up there with the following as the best clearance player in the AFL....regularly in the top 5 for clearance averages

Kirk, Judd, Mitchell, Black, Watson, Haselby, Ablett, Bartel, Foley, Tuck, Cross, Cooney, Kerr

We lack ball carriers....
I think it helps that bartel could play as a half back and ablet as a hff because their clearance player were so good. Thats why I got so excited about x's game against the dogs a few weeks back as he can carry the ball and break lines with his running

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith