CEO payment bleatings from the HUN...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

CEO payment bleatings from the HUN...

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

Basically, our brilliant prez amd board have hired our new CEO without even discussing remuneration...

Well that sure is a great way to run a business. :roll:

By the way, I'd do it for half what Arch was getting paid...And by god the AFL would hate me.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
chook23
Saintsational Legend

"Salary hasn't even been discussed," Westaway told the Herald Sun last night.

"We certainly don't expect him to be paid peanuts; it just hasn't been discussed at all.

"Actually, it's remiss of us."

Yes, "remiss" would seem to be an appropriate word.

"It might look a bit hasty from the outside, but it wasn't," Westaway said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We don't hear much from Westaway......................

Seems that is lucky......and less damaging.

Struggled at AGM also.

Process to appoint appears terrible.

saint4life
savatage
SS Life Member

He obviously has no idea how to talk to the media. It's not what you say - it's how you say it sometimes.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

My biggest issue with this is that the simple answer is

"It's a club issue and I'm not going to discuss the CEO's salary in a public forum"

How hard is it???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

OH

MY

GOD!!!!!

Unless we get rid of this idiot and this incompetent self serving board, we will be on handout watch with North, Melbourne, and Footscray.

This mob will run the joint into the ground, just like every other admin at the Saints except for Rob Butterss.

regardless of what you people think of him personally (and he was a twat by the end of it) at least his admin didn't run the club like a two bob outfit.

This is disgraceful and just another indication of the decline of the club.

Run by fools and incompetents.

But you people got what you wanted....

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Good on ya JB. You'd prefer to do deals under the table the Butterss way, would you. Do you know what that cost us -- $270,000 plus wasn't it.
Give me an honest successful businessman ahead of a high flying property developer anyday to lead our Club.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

That article doesn't read well. There hasn't obviously been any selection process.

But to say that Rod Butterrs was better is laughable.

The process to appoint GT was under Butterss. The personal loans to GT were under Butterss.

Butterrs was a joke long before the end.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saintlee
Club Player

This article makes us look bad....Westaway comes across as a sloppy operator......not a good look

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I find it quite amusing that people have actually taken something from this article. It's a nothing article built around comments from a man who is obviously not media trained. Having said that, Westaway isn't an idiot, he is a very smart businessman and he would know that discussing employees renumeration in a public forum is not smart. As if Westaway and Nettlefold wouldn't have discussed his salary....

People will believe anything and to some on this forum, any decision St.Kilda makes is the wrong one.

saintlee
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:Westaway isn't an idiot, he is a very smart businessman and he would know that discussing employees renumeration in a public forum is not smart. As if Westaway and Nettlefold wouldn't have discussed his salary....
I hope your right, but my question is why is Westaway making comments that make st kilda look foolish?

aussiejones
Club Player

Disappointing that this suff gets into the media.

Surely we the club needs to smarten up re media / interviews etc.
Westaway should be well aware how to operate.

Should have nailed down pay at time of offer & acceptance of appointment..... then no drama

Saints94
SS Life Member

Power to him hope he is succesfull :)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to think that whatever salary he is awarded that it not only has the current economic situation in mind but also the next few years.

Meaning that it should be performance based, with one of the core KPIs being the ability to achieving the clubs financial goals through the impending recession/depression.

Any fool can manage the purse strings through an economic boom however has Nettlefold had experience with successfully managing businesses during a recession?

saintlee
Club Player

Statement on saints.com.au regarding salary:

"The salary, which was always going to be within the 2009 budget and reflect the previous CEO salary, has now been finalised and agreed with Michael and the Club. The total remuneration is within the 'average' bracket of all AFL CEO remuneration packages."

Full article:
http://www.saints.com.au/fanzone/suppor ... fault.aspx

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Yikes - Sheahan has caught him out there. Big time. And thank goodness he did, because I think most of us had overlooked this.

Well done Sheahan for putting the acid on. This is perhaps why Westaway stays out of the public domain? Seems to struggle to get it right when a microphone is near him.

He's obviously smarter than this - otherwise he wouldn't be so wealthy. I just wish he had a slightly sharper way of communicating. Remember, communicating with the media is effectively communicating with the supporters.

However, Nettlefold will be a shrewd public communicator. Thank **** for that.
Last edited by evertonfc on Fri 06 Mar 2009 11:54am, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

"We certainly don't expect him to be paid peanuts; it just hasn't been discussed at all.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh dear!

When speaking to a board member directly about the Seaford relocation, I asked " After the Frankston Park proposal went down, why on earth would you just look around the Frankston area for a vacant lot, without canvassing other options"

The reply I received " We felt that we needed to make a quick decision"

That's what I was told!

Archie Fraser made a submission/sales pitch to the board about Frankston Park which impressed,( it would be fair to say that Archie could sell ice to eskimos, he is a very smooth talker ), but this proposal fell over due to unforeseen cost blowouts.

The response to this is what really annoys me, Archie driving around the Frankston area looking for a vacant lot to relocate the St Kilda Football Club to!

It all looks and sounds way too messy and confirmed to me that after the initial Frankston Park location went pear shaped, the board felt like it needed to make a quick decision!

Relocating the club to Belvedere Park in the back blocks of Seaford for the second time in over 100 years and a board member confirms to me that this was done in haste.

Don't worry about this appearing hasty, it is categorically 100% policy on the run, confirmed to me directly.

It seems to me that the board are struggling big time, having been spoonfed the Frankston proposal, which then turned into Seaford without a second thought from the board, with Archie steering the ship in full control, with the board giving him full license.

Then when Archie leaves, the first cab that comes along is hailed down.

Perhaps Nettlefold is a great appointment, I don't know either way, but to appoint him without even discussing his salary is fair dinkum unbelievable.

Westaway says " Actually it's remiss of us"
"It might look a bit hasty from the outside, but it wasn't"

On something so important as a relocation, I already know for a fact that the Belvedere Park decision was pushed through because the board felt like it needed to make a quick decision!

So why should the appointment of a new CEO be viewed as anything but hasty, when his salary has not even been discussed!

It's very easy to see how a smooth talker like Archie Fraser could convince the board to do just about anything!

Westaway read from a prepared speech at the AGM and when left to his own devices, in my view, he came across as anything but in charge!

I suppose we know why he is usually so quiet!

"Actually it's remiss of us"

YOU BETCHA!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
GrumpyOne

barks4eva wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh dear!

Then when Archie leaves, the first cab that comes along is hailed down.

Perhaps Nettlefold is a great appointment, I don't know either way, but to appoint him without even discussing his salary is fair dinkum unbelievable.

Westaway says " Actually it's remiss of us"
"It might look a bit hasty from the outside, but it wasn't"

On something so important as a relocation, I already know for a fact that the Belvedere Park decision was pushed through because the board felt like it needed to make a quick decision!

So why should the appointment of a new CEO be viewed as anything but hasty, when his salary has not even been discussed!

It's very easy to see how a smooth talker like Archie Fraser could convince the board to do just about anything!

Westaway read from a prepared speech at the AGM and when left to his own devices, in my view, he came across as anything but in charge!

I suppose we know why he is usually so quiet!

"Actually it's remiss of us"

YOU BETCHA!
Thats what your post should have looked like B4.

The rest has been posted and answered previously.

Saints7
Club Player

saintlee wrote:Statement on saints.com.au regarding salary:

"The salary, which was always going to be within the 2009 budget and reflect the previous CEO salary, has now been finalised and agreed with Michael and the Club. The total remuneration is within the 'average' bracket of all AFL CEO remuneration packages."

Full article:
http://www.saints.com.au/fanzone/suppor ... fault.aspx
What a reactionary statement that is. If the article wasn't bad enough, why have we come out and given Sheahan the assurance that he was right on the mark?? Seems a bit hot headed to be saying that immediately after Greg was screwed in the hun.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Shyte!

I paid $280 for myself to be a member of footy's "Comedy Club"....could've got the tickets for $7 an event from the telemarketers!!!

Seriously, is ANY AFL CEO worth $500K a year?

FFS they only run a business with (in our case) around $22 million turnover, it's not farking Telstra or BHP we are talking about.

IMO anything above $200K in the current environment is over the odds.

For our official spin line to say Nettlefold's pay is within "AFL average for CEO's"
is a complete obselete wank. Come on Greg YOU know that, regardless of how crap you are at media training.

This is not a vote against Nettlefold, it's a fact that the GFC will screw down future salaries without doubt IMO.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The more I hear GW talk..or be interviewd....the more I form the view that he was just a convenient front man for others who ditched "some" of the former board and seized control.

If so..I wonder who really is pully the "strings"??

Hopefully whomever it was actually agreed with MN about what his package was before he was appointed.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Banger2Plugger
Club Player

Personally I think its all a big media hype up.
Archie is still ceo until Mid April.
Nettelfold was approached to consider if he would like to take up the appointment - bearing in mind his other business interests. A No would had the board putting the ad up for applications.
If Nettlefold was concerned about the renumeration - it would have been his first question. The fact he said YES, says to me he loves the club, wants to be the CEO, now lets negotiate a fair renumeration.
Nettlefold having been on the board is no peanut, and would already have known the renumeration being received by Archie - he would not have said YES, if the renumeration on offer for the position was an issue.

This is a huge beat up, and not worth all the crap written about it.

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
ctqs
Club Player

... yawn ...

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

FFS they only run a business with (in our case) around $22 million turnover, it's not farking Telstra or BHP we are talking about.
No if it was Telstra or BHP he would get around 3-4 mil base plus huge bonuses!!! Plus another 20mill golden handshake when he resigns!!!!!!

$500k is about what a CEO of a company with 22mil turnover would get paid

onlooker
Club Player

I am having a bit of trouble following the Hun article as the Saints site is currently showing a statement from the Board stating that the CEO's package is finalised. Sounds like a non story to me.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Just quietly, how does this affect the so-called succession plan that was said to be in place?

Does it delay it somewhat?

Legendary? RBnW? Rumolal?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.