New players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markinUSA
SS Life Member

New players

Hi

For me, the disadvantage of us losing our NAB match is that I don't get a chance to see any matches involving us until the real season begins. And the one thing I am really interested in is how our kids and our new recuits are going.

- Can anyone tell me who they think will be a new addition to the senior team this year?

- On the topic of the young kids, how is Jack Steven going? Eljay? Choo Choo?

- How about Zac Dawson? How was he against the dogs?

- How are our returning players looking? Goose? Baker?

Any information is helpful! ThankS!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Mark,
I have only seen the inta-club practise match and the televised match against Brisbane, but from what I can gather here goes.
Young Nick Heyne has a chance to get a game early, his form has been good. Farren Ray would be the best chance to make the team.
Jack Steven to my mind is disappointing. Even though Eljay has played a lot less footy for the Saints he appears to be faster and more skilled. Choo Choo is very quick and has a lot of talent, but according to the experts on here he needs to be built up considerably.
Zac Dawson apparently had a good one last night, but has done very little on the two occasions that I saw him.
Baker and Hayes and Xavier Clarke (I think) had good games against the Scrays. Maguire left the field early injured.
Gardiner apparently had a good game last night too. Tom Lynch played his first game last night. Opinions are divided as to how well he went. We are yet to see half our recruits, Stanley, Cahill, etc.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

With 2 practice games to go it is hard to work out who of the new players will play in round one but I am thinking Ray, Begley and Dawson are near certainties with a good chance to Steven. Heyne is a very slight chance as is LJ. So we are looking at 3-4 new players in round one but that is with 2 practice games left.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:With 2 practice games to go it is hard to work out who of the new players will play in round one but I am thinking Ray, Begley and Dawson are near certainties with a good chance to Steven. Heyne is a very slight chance as is LJ. So we are looking at 3-4 new players in round one but that is with 2 practice games left.
Sounds about right..

So to that group in the mix for round one compared to finals time last year add in Ball a definite and X very likely. Gardiner a possibles.

Goose would seem unlikely and Dempster will not be ready.

From the PF team Fiora and Harvey are gone.

Gwilt the most likely to lose his spot.

Eddy and Mini along with CJ will have lot of competition for their places.

So all in all there should be a lot competition for places in round one.

On Dawson...with Goose looking a bit off yet..and Gilbert be trialled up forward...there is a spot for him to be tried down back. This would free up Sam Fisher fora mobile attacking role ie he did well when thrown onto the ball in the NAB game However Blake might end up keeping him out.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
henno
Club Player

you have got to be joking about LJ playing round 1...yes he's bulked up but he's still a very tiny frame.
he didn't do that well yesterday...

heyne looks alright, his kicking can let him down at times, looks to be settling in on the left forward flank!

as for dawson, he was alright yesterday, his disposal was better than on the Gold Coast.

EDIT: gilbert up forward is a great option! definetly until lynch can bulk up and play that role anyway

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I guess it depends on how you look at it, I thought Eljay and Stevens played a great natural game. I think the nerves kicked in once they took possession, then they thought a little too much on occasions. It's to be expected, and they will only improve.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:...I am thinking Ray, Begley and Dawson are near certainties...
Is Dawson really that likely? Sydney generally play a small forward line with two talls plus O'Keefe. Mickey O looks like he'll miss R1. How many of Blake, Dawson, Hudghton and Maguire do you think we can play? Then there's Sam Fisher, Sam Gilbert, Gram, Raph, X, Baker and Begley. I don't know if they're still intending on using Ray in the backline, but it strikes me that there's a lot of guys who can play back and only limited spots. It's not like we have a lot of spots in the midfield or up forward either. There's only so many people we can carry on the bench.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: New players

markinUSA wrote:Hi

For me, the disadvantage of us losing our NAB match is that I don't get a chance to see any matches involving us until the real season begins. And the one thing I am really interested in is how our kids and our new recuits are going.

- Can anyone tell me who they think will be a new addition to the senior team this year?

- On the topic of the young kids, how is Jack Steven going? Eljay? Choo Choo?

- How about Zac Dawson? How was he against the dogs?

- How are our returning players looking? Goose? Baker?

Any information is helpful! ThankS!
additions from the prelim final last year will be

a fit baker and xavier clarke. Clarke gave us speed, marking off half back and skill. Baker is still a quick smart player who can hold small forwards...

of the young players, heynes shows little things. Can read the flight of the ball very well and uses his body like a AFL vet. his kicking is a little hit and miss but this seems to be because he rushes. As he gets some senior games under his belt I would expect this to improve. Is in front of lynch at present who struggled at some times to inject himself into his first game of AFL.

Eljay as has been mentione on the bulldogs thread is a very clever footballer. He is a once touch player who will put his head over the ball. Don't expect him to bulk up and be a monster but has the ability and skills to make it. Vision has been good. Could be a chance later in the year.

jack is a little ferret of the player. Was in everything in the intra club match and works hard doen forward so far in the practice matches. Not sold as a first 22 player to start the year but along with eljay should push for selection come round 12 onwards.

Zac has put on 20 kgs but still has less muscle then gilbert. His body actally looks like a 97 version of max. He has good closing speed and his bump left a dogs player struggling to get up. I still believe we have enough options down back but with question marks over goose and max a year older its nice to have a developing FB in the fold.

Hope this helps

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Is Dawson really that likely? Sydney generally play a small forward line with two talls plus O'Keefe. Mickey O looks like he'll miss R1. How many of Blake, Dawson, Hudghton and Maguire do you think we can play? Then there's Sam Fisher, Sam Gilbert, Gram, Raph, X, Baker and Begley. I don't know if they're still intending on using Ray in the backline, but it strikes me that there's a lot of guys who can play back and only limited spots. It's not like we have a lot of spots in the midfield or up forward either. There's only so many people we can carry on the bench.
Yes Dawson is likely because Goose and max probably are not. As for on the bench you are right apart from one ruckman everyone else must be an onballer otherwise we will not have enough rotations.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
Yes Dawson is likely because Goose and max probably are not. As for on the bench you are right apart from one ruckman everyone else must be an onballer otherwise we will not have enough rotations.
plugger66 I was not convince untill I saw dawson up close and how much weight the kid has put on. he looks and plays like a key back now.

Would rather max out there but dawson would not be the worst back up for max

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
plugger66 I was not convince untill I saw dawson up close and how much weight the kid has put on. he looks and plays like a key back now.

Max is 3 times the player dawson may ever be. The problem is Max isnt a certaintly and Goose is doubtful.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Max is 3 times the player dawson may ever be. The problem is Max isnt a certaintly and Goose is doubtful.
have a look at max in his first couple of years. Was an average half back flanker. I would not write dawson off to be honest

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

have a look at max in his first couple of years. Was an average half back flanker. I would not write dawson off to be honest
Agreed but Max had played 2 years, Dawson is in about his 5th. But having said that I reckon he is nearly certain to play round one.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Thank you all for this. It's a lot of info I couldn't get otherwise.
And I alsoreally like the way we have all stuck to footy and not fighting with each other. Cheers!

JABBER
Club Player

new players

has Zac Dawson been promoted of our rookie list if so for who.he cant play until the second half of the season as a rookie player which player is nicknamed choo choo is it ross

trevor barker
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: new players

JABBER wrote:has Zac Dawson been promoted of our rookie list if so for who.he cant play until the second half of the season as a rookie player which player is nicknamed choo choo is it ross
No he hasnt been promoted but can at any time due to LTI of Dempster and Allen. Choo Choo is Ross.

kos
Club Player

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

wasnt max on the verge of state of origin selection in his first season 97.
there was a debate whether he should be a vic or allie cause he born in vic and drafted out of qld. ended up missing through injury!
hardly an average hbf!

kos
Club Player

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

there was a debate whether he should be a vic or allie cause he born in vic and drafted out of qld. ended up missing through injury!
hardly an average hbf!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:[
hardly an average hbf!

Didn't he finish fairly high up in the B&F in 97 as well?

To the top
SS Life Member

My recall was that Max had an exceptional first year in 1997, copped a longer term injury late (4 weeks or so) and returned just before or during the finals.

Leaving Shanahan on D. Jarman was a matter of debate because Max was the obvious alternative defender to take D. Jarman - and that move not being made as soon as D. Jarman had a couple in the last quarter was probably costly - Alves had to defend the decision to leave Shanahan on D. Jarman.

Hardly an average first couple of years by Hudgden because that was the regard he was held in as a first-year player in 1997.

Gilbert's development is mirroring Max except that Gilbert can play forward as well.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Oh please, please, please.... don't raise the nightmare of 1997. It took me a good 10 years to get over the depression from it.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Such a great website we have isn't it?

Doesn't even list the awards for previous years

degruch
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Gilbert's development is mirroring Max except that Gilbert can play forward as well.
I always remember Max being hard at it though - Gilbert is still a bit lazy/sloppy (although chock full of potential) IMO. In what way's is Gilbert mirroring Max's development?

I agree that Dawson looks like a young Max.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Yes Dawson is likely because Goose and max probably are not.
That's what I was afraid of.

Do you think Dawson would be likely to take Hall if Max is out? That's a bit of a trial by fire even if Hall is ageing and on the decline. Parhaps especially tough because we all know how mad Barry gets when he doesn't get his way.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Based on what i've seen so far this year (2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters of the bulldogs match, and 2nd half of the brisbane game), , our ins and outs from the Hawks final will be:

Out:
Harvey
Fiora
Gwilt
Jones
Schneider
Hudghton

In:
Ball
Ray
L Fisher
Steven